Old vs new Zeiss scope

cgs1967

FNG
I was all set on ordering a Zeiss Conquest v4 but then I came across a Zeiss Diavari V 3-12x56 T* Illuminated Mil Dot Reticle scope. It has a few scratch marks on the tube but no dents. Glass is in great shape. The guy wants $700. Is the old Diavari V better than a new V4? I can get a new Conquest V4 4x16x50 for $989. Which is the better way to go. Using it for deer and elk. Deer 90% of the time.

I have some experience with the V4 but not Diavari.

I'll say the older Swarovskis I've had and the old IOR Vadala I have don't hold up to newer scopes, but my old fixed 6x Zeiss does. For what that's worth, it gives me more faith in older Zeiss compared to other aged scopes.

OP
C

cgs1967

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Anyone else have any thoughts or opinions?

LightFoot

WKR
I have a Diavari 3-12x56 that was handed down from my dad and now rides on a go-to deer rifle. It is a FFP plex type reticle.

That scope has been through some hunts for sure. FFP without mil-dot (or equivalent) is silly to me, but the scope has been dependable and always got the job done out to just under 300 yards.

Is the Diavari better than the new V4.... probably not. I would go with Diavari for nostalgia and the V4 for dialing (and warranty, if that matters)

Eurooptic and redhawkrifles are great places to find deals on demo Zeiss.

>>>----JAKE----->
3496eee5f3f724735d758ec71ee13e86.jpg

OP
C

cgs1967

FNG
Thank you. That is the exact information I was looking for.

ghostrider272

Lil-Rokslider
I have 4 Diavaris. All have the ASV turrets and first focal plane reticle. Wouldn't trade the for a newer Zeiss scope.

I live in Europe for several years and have looked through my share of older and newer European glass. From my experience and older used scope in the $900 range will more then likely be better then a new $900 scope.

@LightFoot love the R8. We don't see enough of them on this sight..

ShortMagFan

Lil-Rokslider
Diavari’s are great. Personally after trying some higher powered scopes I don’t understand the need for more than 10-12x on the high end for hunting big game. If you’re shooting targets way out there (800+) I can see it but very few people actually do that

I’ve had the V4 4-16x44. Loved the scope but prefer a FFP reticle and as noted above don’t need the magnification

you can mount the x44 a good bit lower than the x56 which is worth considering

forwilldrive

FNG
Classified Approved
The Diavari V series is still top notch... way better than any of the conquest models... better than conquest MC, better than conquest v4, and better than the conquest HD5 which is supposed to be the best of the conquest lineup.