Old warrior

Tough season so far, still haven't come to full draw and not seeing as much sign as I typically would expect. Went out a couple weeks ago and managed to run into a good size dirty blonde sow with a jet black yearling cub in pretty thick brush. I was solo with nothing but my bow and she initially ran from 20 to 40 yards when I bumped her, then proceeded to thrash back and forth left to right tearing stumps up and huffing her tits off...according to my watch I got a minute or two of cardio in the 150bpm range off that one. Once she finally winded me I let them have that area and hunted my way out. Called a decent boar out of the timber just before last light later that evening but it was still early in the season, he was just curious and didn't seem to be in the mood for fawn killing yet. Managed to cut the distance from 120 to 60 while keeping his attention with the distress call and just as I was about to pop out and get some carbon airborne the wind switched and he was gone. Tried to huff him out of the bear tunnel laden thicket I could still hear him moving in but the jig was up and I was out of daylight, worked that spot hard the following evening but that was all the action I saw that weekend.

Went out again last weekend, didn't get into any bears but had 5 on my camera in the last 2 weeks, 3 solid mature bears and one smaller bear with a real nice color on it so 4/5 shooters...one walked by while I was busy working that other spot down low. This is by far the oldest bear I've ever caught on my camera, I've been getting discouraged with how brushy my honey hole has become but he's motivated me to keep working it and deal with the pucker factor a little while longer. Named him Holyfield because it appears his right ear was halfway bitten off fighting.

1622148457554.png

May take a few days off next week and head up after work Monday, rut activity will be starting up shortly which may slightly increase my chances at catching this guy slipping although I still have 2 tags and won't be picky with the first one. Wish me luck out there, it's looking like I may need a bit extra this season!