Older CVA been loaded for 2 years

So, I was given an older CVA .45 a few days ago from my grandfather but he told me he wasn’t sure if it was fired off the last time it was used (2years ago...). Upon inspection, it’s definitely still loaded. I’m too chicken to shoot it off. Is it safe to shoot? Should I play it safe and buy a wrench to remove the plug and unload it that way and clean it? Muzzleloaders and rifles aren’t an area I know much of anything about (I spend way too much time focused on my bow lol). Thanks for the tips ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are ever going to use it you will need a wrench anyway. If it were me I'd unload it and clean it. Unless it's stainless the barrel is probably rusted/pitted - hopefully not. I don't actually have a muzzeloader wrench. I use a deep well 3/8 socket. I don't remember what size it is and yours may be different anyway...

So, I was given an older CVA .45 a few days ago from my grandfather but he told me he wasn’t sure if it was fired off the last time it was used (2years ago...). Upon inspection, it’s definitely still loaded. I’m too chicken to shoot it off. Is it safe to shoot? Should I play it safe and buy a wrench to remove the plug and unload it that way and clean it? Muzzleloaders and rifles aren’t an area I know much of anything about (I spend way too much time focused on my bow lol). Thanks for the tips ahead of time.

It would be my suggestion to unload it, inspect it and clean it before shooting. It is probably fine but in most cases safety pays off!

DANNY-L

Lil-Rokslider
A friend forgot to unload and clean his a few years ago and the barrel was pitted real bad,couldn't hit a target at 25yds consistently.

Don’t you have a bullet screw attachment for your ram rod?

Make sure no cap is in the nipple. Screw into ball, and pull it straight out the muzzle. Put your patch wormer on your rod to loosen the powder.

Pull nipple and start flushing with hot water. It will all come out.

Bendback

FNG
I just cleaned an Optima that had been loaded for 2 years. I pulled the breech plug, emptied the powder, pushed the bullet from the back out the front of the barrel with the ramrod, cleaned as usual. If the powder comes out loose your probably OK. If its been damp and is packed and stuck together you may have some pitting.

TomAZ

Lil-Rokslider
Unload and clean it. See if there’s bad putting. Clean it with a bronze brush as good as possible. Test fire for accuracy. If it’s badly pitted it may not be a great shooter, but depending on distances you hunt, it may work just fine.

OP
A
Forgot to update this, cleaned it really good. Took awhile to get things really good and clean, didn’t notice any pitting. Loaded it back up and the first shot was right on the money at 50 yards. I was a little nervous, but didn’t even have to sight it back in after checking a few distances. Thanks for the advice everyone!
3e1132359813869b168968a75e8a1e12.jpg