Older middle aged guys

87TT

WKR
I hunted elk once in the 80's. Guided cow hunt. But I started elk hunting 5 years ago. I have killed 4 elk in the last 4 years. The first I lost (bow) but found a week later. The last three I packed out myself. Longest was 1.5 miles at night. This year was only a mile but very steep drop in the middle. I have decided that next year I will take an extra tip or two also. On the last two, a fork bull and a decent cow, I did them in three trips. Was sore for a couple of days after. I couldn't imagine living in a state where there were elk that I wouldn't be hunting. You only have so many days left to hunt in your life. Elk hunting is my life and job since I retire. Walk the dog 3+ miles everyday year round and wear my EXO with weight in the months leading up to the season. Shoot my bow every day year round too. I owe it to the elk. Going to be 68 in two months.

Last edited:

*zap*

WKR
As long as you stay healthy and injury free you can either loose physical ability as you age, stay the same or gain. @ 64+ I am in much better physical condition than I was @ 59.

I started my commitment to fitness @ 60 and was not at a good starting point so it has been all uphill. If you start that commitment at a younger age it will be easier.

Fitness = quality of life increase unless you think that quality in your life is sitting on the couch eating cheetos.

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Still hunt the backcountry - I've definitely gotten more picky the older I get. Have definitely noticed it's harder to get moving in the mornings...

87TT

WKR
I have found also that I don't like the cold, wet and miserable as much as when I was younger. Just dress better and can buy or have better gear.

techmanil

FNG
56 from IL. Last year I hunted between 7.3k & 9K and was amazed at the difference from the normal years between 9.5k & 11K. If you are very worried just try to stay around 8k.

GotDraw?

WKR
Mindset, and a plan with true commitment to your goal-

Either you want it or you don't.

You gotta work out harder than a young man to hunt like a young man. If you are not willing to commit to a regular and demanding strength and conditioning program, then just admit it and throw in the towel. Others who are will be doing the things you no longer are willing to sacrifice for.

Squats till you can't, weighted lunges, stair climber with a backpack. Cardio 3x a week. Eat right, drop the weight and lose the muffin top, carry less fat up the hill. Legs, lungs, gristle and grit/determination.

Either you want to hunt backcountry and are willing to invest in yourself and suffer to do it or you don't.

If you really want it and invest regularly in yourself, then you will be able to do well into your late sixties or early seventies.

If not, enjoy enjoy truck hunting and reading about others doing what you no longer want badly enough.

There's no nice way to sugarcoat it or a pill to fix it.

JL

AKDoc

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm at the upper end of the age range in this thread...just turned 68. I've been very active up here my whole adult life, enjoying what Alaska has to offer, which can't be done in just one life-time.

In addition to annual spring black bear hunts from a canoe (spot and stalk on the snow-slides) and two-week remote drop tent camps for fall moose hunts, I've sheep hunted several times with my daughter as well as mountain goat hunted with her on Kodiak, and goat hunted with my son in the Kenai Fiords area...he has a job that is hard to get time-off, but we got his first brown bear/grizzly last fall on a remote hundred-mile pack-raft float we did together.

I was in my early to mid sixties for all of the mountain goat and sheep hunts. Just a few scenes below from those particular hunts that I would have never seen nor the wonderful experiences enjoyed, if I had not kept going at 60, and I am thankful because my osteoarthritis is pretty progressed at this point in both knees. My sheep and mountain goat hunting days are likely over, but I'm still out there doing the things I can do and have no intention of stopping. I move slower now and more careful, and it takes a day to recover after a day of heavy exertion, but I'm good with that.
Kodiak.JPGKenaiFiords (3).jpgSheep country.JPGSHeep.JPG

wyosteve

WKR
I still hit the high country, just have to do it smart and take it at my pace. Fortunately, I have hay burners to do most of the grunt work!

My grandpa is 73, and still killing deer and elk. He has to be smart, being on two artificial knees and a replacement hip, but he's out there doing it. I had the pleasure of hauling deer and elk around for him this year, but he's managed to do it on his own when needed. Go get em! Definitely get the tags for the first year in MT if you can, you'll regret not doing it.

Billinsd

WKR
I turned 58 on Thanksgiving. My right hip is arthritic, very little cartilage left. A replacement is in my future. I recently got vertigo and am much better today. Dizzy and crippled. I've lost 30lbs since March and am pretty fit. I still do everything I did before, but slower and smarter. My hearing is getting worse and worse. I'm getting a CAT scan to make sure I don't have a benign tumor pressing against ear canal. My health is good, high blood pressure, but controlled with meds. High BP is the silent killer!!! I'm still extremely active and plan to continue to be. Get good physicians that are caring and have a good relationship with them. I have a dear buddy who is an internist and psychiatrist. I got all my vaccines, shingles, flu, pneumonia, even Lyme disease back when you could get a vaccine. Cheers Bill

Backyard

WKR
I'll be 58 in Jan. Currently planning my next solo elk hunt for '21. Had a new knee put in last Jan. I'm not stopping. Ya gotta put in a little extra work to get there and to keep it.

Broomd

WKR
57 here...I run every other day. It's more work than it used to be. I haven't done a rigorous mountain hunt since'15 when I killed a good billy.

I do less and less extreme hunting, ...15-16 years ago wife, son and I were doing 50 mile boot-leather hunts--mostly dall sheep. I could still do it, but it would really hurt for the first few days.

JeffP_Or

WKR
53 here and I find the most difficult part is the recovery - things hurt more and the pain/fatigue takes longer to go away. Most all of the above is very true and staying healthy/active in any form will be a benefit. Concentrate on flexibility and stretching as much as conditioning - seems to most benefit avoiding small injuries especially at joints and helps with balance. Also watch your diet - no way can I eat the volume or food types I used too! Way more difficult shedding the winter weight....

My father gave up activities in his mid-40's simply saying he felt 'old' and the decline was precipitous; he's in the upper-80's now and still going but does very little outside of his house and hasn't for decades.
One of my hunting partners is in his later 60's; developed a heart condition out of nowhere a few years ago and can literally only do 10% of what he used to. A 1-mile hunt on level ground is a struggle for him, through no fault of his. Difficult to watch.

JPD350

WKR
58 at the end of the month, 1 day after the birthday I will be packing into the gila wilderness for mule deer, earlier in Sept I packed in my camp and packed an elk out. I couldn't imagine not being able to do these hunts, I'll cross that road when it comes. It's funny, I used to get in shape through the summer, now it seems like I spend the summers trying to heal something but I always seem to be ready come season.20200917_110955.jpeg
Like has been mentioned, it takes a little more effort to get there and back.......

AZmark

WKR
Mid 60s here. Still hoof it most of the time and still pack out critters. But I hunt closer to the trailheads or roads now when I’m out alone. With one of my sons with me I’ll go in further. But having back surgery in Jan so will see what that brings. Dr tells me if I rehab like he says I’ll still be out there next fall.
Have a late season muley hunt starting Dec 11-31 and some of that will be solo.
All my hunting is East AZ or west NM.