Older middle aged guys

IDLassie

FNG
Well, if you elk hunt if it doesn't kill you it might get you into shape by the end.
Other half got his cow on Sunday. He brought one quarter then I went back in with him to help haul out the backstraps. Then he went back in Monday morning for the front quarters.
Got my cow this morning with a lot closer shot 250yds and only a 600yd pack out to the UTV.
Both of us are 62. I'm paying for all the exercise from this morning right now.

I am still packing in and doing that style of hunting. However, I am setting up arthroscopic surgery on one knee and need an MRI on the other to get it approved. I imagine a still have some good years of tough hunt ahead of me still. But clearly, I am no longer in my 20's.

I'm 52 and I expect to keep hunting at least until I'm 92. While aging is definitely a physical thing I think what limits us most is mental. If you think you can't do it you won't. Picture yourself doing it (whatever it is - for me it's hunting) and then get after it. Keep your body fit and exercise the mind too. Don't stop dreaming and don't hang around negative people.

Mt Al

WKR
Mid 50's and, until this year, still getting up and down the mountains and packing critters out. I had knee surgery in the middle of the summer, a procedure with a long recovery, and it was very debilitating to be more sedentary. Takes longer to recover the older you get.

For me personally, eating is the biggest challenge and it has to be addressed if you plan on being in the mountains into your 70s. Can be done, is all the time. If you're moving to Boz-Angeles you'll be passed on the trails by old people all the time. It's like a sport for them - knocking off youngsters, announcing loudly from behind you "passing on the right!" as they blow past and smirk at your lameness. Don't ask me how I know.

Inspiration: My father was doing mountain races until he was 70. He jogged three miles every single day at lunch without fail, no excuses and his job allowed for this, until he knee could no longer handle it when he turned about 75. His eating is monk-like, just what he needs. He gets heavy sometimes, then deals with it, then he's too skinny, then he eats more. He's 83 and now "only" walks 3 - 5 miles every single day without fail unless there's ice, then his wife worries, so then he's in his garage on a rowing machine. No fancy nothing, no gym, no kettle/elasto-strap/keto/mountain fitness/box steps/weighted vest/plyometric/yoga/recovery bath salt/balance beam nothing. Zero. Just jogging at lunch only for over 50 years when he got started. It's maddening to see him reject all the "wisdom" of what you must do to stay in the mountains. He just ate right and jogged and spent way more time in the high country than any of us youngerns.

Vacrt2002

Lil-Rokslider
51 in a few days.....drug this guy for an 1hr 40mins.....will not do that again! They get butchered where they lay from now on.

Attachments

• D7281A3E-F382-40AE-B6F7-2E90FC3C1CD0.jpeg
    D7281A3E-F382-40AE-B6F7-2E90FC3C1CD0.jpeg
    702.8 KB · Views: 15

bruno59

WKR
I just turned 61 a month ago been in montana 11 years been retired 5 years still hunt solo and also backpack hunt just not a lot of days at once packed out a few animals this year got to know when to take a break so you don't injure yourself i dirt bike ride a lot when i wreck now it takes a little longer to heal that's for sure but still love doing it

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm a couple weeks away from 63 and honestly I haven't slowed down, BUT I pour a lot of time into training (see signature). I've been racking up 1500+ trail miles a year for the last decade or so (this year I might finally touch 2000) and have been fairly diligent in strength training twice a week.

My "fun time" outside of hunting season are tough hikes and backpacking trips in the mountains- year round; I spend a ton of time on snowshoes and backcountry skis in the winter.

I'm nothing remarkable, it's just a lifestyle choice doing things I really enjoy and making them a priority.

Two weeks ago

jQUxp6T.jpg

I am in my late 50s and am feeling old for my age. I have arthritis in all my old broken bones and suffer from joint pain and back spasms. But, I still love the mountains. My longer backpack trips are over. I generally solo hunt deer, sheep, goat, elk and moose. I make my trips much shorter now. Just packing a day up the mountain and hunting from there is good for me most of the time. If I can get my atv close to a mountain I will enjoy a camp off of it and strike out up the mountain on dayhunts. Staying in shape is harder these days. I try to do short one hour hikes 5-6 days a week and work on stretching exercises. One thing I DO carry now is 80mg aspirins. I figure I am overdue for my first heart attack and want to survive it, to be ready for the next hunt!

Comerade

FNG
Approaching 63 here. Not as good as I once was....as good once, as I ever was.
Never give up

elkguide

WKR
Many years ago when I was in college, I had a geology professor tell me of the theory of erosion. He explained that the mountains were not as tall as they once were because of it.

HE LIED!!!!!

Grover

FNG
60 years old and still packing my camp on my back.

1. Take an InReach
2. Use trekking poles. Makes a huge difference.
3. Keep your weight down as much as you can.

And just keep going. One step at a time.

Was 56 in the pic below - hopefully will be packing again at 57 and beyond. Just have to be smart and go!

Attachments

• pack out joe.jpg
    pack out joe.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 29
I'm 64 and can still hike and handle the all day rigors of mountain hunting. But I have slowed some the last few years, and changes have been made.

My entire life, I used to love carrying camp on my back for a few days and spiking out wherever I was come sundown, whether I was hunting or alpine trout fishing. But sadly, I gave it up 4 years ago because it was beginning to take a toll on my back and joints. Talk about reality setting in and realizing one's own mortality.... I must admit though, there is something to be said for a nicely cooked meal already waiting at the end of a long day. Or a long hot shower on sore muscles and a warm cozy bed.

I'll make an extra trip or two these days, rather than pack a load more than 55-60#. I'll take the long scenic route these days, rather than charging straight up big verticals from point A to B. But I'm out there, on the mountain, and that's what's most important to me.

I think/hope that I have a good run ahead of me yet, I just needed to realize, finally, that I'm not 30 y/o anymore and that I need to adapt accordingly.

Last edited:

dukkhnter

FNG
Work on making local connections too, I've helped plenty pack out, but you got to make that connection, remember there are lots of younger guys needing help on house projects or the farm/ranch and usually more than willing to help out for the guys that show/earn respect or teach them something.

Goatboy22

FNG
I'm 64 with two replaced hips and still pack out everything on my back, just not multi-day overnight backpack hunting trips. I save the overnight trips for fishing during the summer months when the weather is warm and I can pack lighter!

Been packing out my deer, elk, and two rams with a packframe for close to 40 years, starting with a "freighter" frame that I later upgraded with a Cabela's Alaskan hip belt and shoulder straps. Up-graded to a Kifaru Duplex frame a couple of years ago, which I quit using due to the frame being too tall and hanging up on trees and brush, which was killing my back due to having to bend over with heavy loads to clear the obstacles. Bought the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 18 a couple of years ago and limit my loads to approx. 50 lbs. which this pack is ideal for. Carries all my gear for a day of hunting, then packs a load of meat the first trip out. The first two years I had it I packed out my buck both years and 1/2 of my brothers elk both years.

My days of 100 lb. loads are over, I just make more trips!

NE1022

FNG
Will be 61 by the time archery elk rolls around this fall. Right knee replaced, putting off the left as long as possible. Highlight of my year spending time out west w my son. No elk this year but did pack a whitetail out on my own here at home. Still feel pretty good due to prep. Can't run w my knees but on the bike every other day. On off days do Simple and Sinister w kettlebells and finish up w some mace work. Had to drop the gym membership w Covid due to also caring for my elderly mother who has her own problems. I'm figuring on at least another 10 years, God willing.

Comerade

FNG
I am 63 and live and hunt the Rockies- literally from my land at times.
Quite a few wrecks horseback, pulling wrenches and subsequent surgeries to my upper body. This makes it difficult to carry a heavy load on my back.
I usually take couple of horses to get in and then the shanks pony to get up the mountain. I am very fit and pretty athletic and it takes 12 months of fitness training to stay there

Rsnyder

FNG
54 here pretty fit but hurts more and longer recovery time. Gonna keep after it till I can’t. Hopefully mostly training by activity in the field after retirement

58 and still hunting the high country off my back. Hunting partner is 62 and still hard at it as well. We both did a goat,Elk and deer hunts last year all off our backs. Prepare, Prepare! You’ll feel better all year.
D40EFECB-9C24-4D37-9907-FA2510EAECB1.jpeg