Older 'New' SLC or spend a few extra and buy the EL?

tdhanses

WKR
Thanks for all the advice and insight! It sounds like that used pair of SLCs I had my eye on are a bit overpriced and outdated to boot. For those of you who have used both and if both were equally priced (which they're obviously not), which would you choose in the 8x range? A new pair of SLCs if I could find them or ELs?
EL’s if same price.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I went from a set of 10x SLCs to some 8.5x ELs (I believe both are 2015 manufacture). I have no regrets whatsoever. The SLCs are great, but the edge to edge sharpness on the ELs is amazing. I also really like the added exit pupil of the 8.5x, and don't feel like I'm giving up much with the reduced magnification. If you aren't sensitive to the "rolling ball" from the field flattened lenses in the ELs, I think that's the way to go. If you're patient you can get a good deal in the Classifieds here. If not, they are still a great buy new at the reduced price since the introduction of the NLs. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
I used to sell property/houses on a caribbean island to folks looking for winter vacation homes. The beach properties would be 3x and the one off the beach lots 1x. Many people would talk about compromising on the price and getting the second tier lot. I would always reply 'well you just flew 2300 miles to buy one and you missed your target by 250 feet!" Moral of the story:if you are going for a top tier bino then get the best one in its class!

tdhanses

WKR
I used to sell property/houses on a caribbean island to folks looking for winter vacation homes. The beach properties would be 3x and the one off the beach lots 1x. Many people would talk about compromising on the price and getting the second tier lot. I would always reply 'well you just flew 2300 miles to buy one and you missed your target by 250 feet!" Moral of the story:if you are going for a top tier bino then get the best one in its class!
Yet best is very debateable.

So a couple years back I made this decision and went with the SLCs. The ELs are nice for sure, but after looking through them they weren’t 1k better to me, not to mention the field flatteners weren’t my deal.

I don’t have any desire to “upgrade” and I’ll likely have these for the rest of my hunting “career”.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
you can’t go wrong either way, I bought my first pair of 8-30s 30 years ago. Have two pairs of 10-42 slc and el. I guess I should say one pair is my wife’s, We have used them constantly year round and never regretted spending more for the best.

mthayr

WKR
Thanks for all the advice and insight! It sounds like that used pair of SLCs I had my eye on are a bit overpriced and outdated to boot. For those of you who have used both and if both were equally priced (which they're obviously not), which would you choose in the 8x range? A new pair of SLCs if I could find them or ELs?
I have absolutely no complaints about my SLC 8x42’s - compared when purchasing with the EL’s, Leica Ultravid, and Zeiss Conquest. For the price (more than some les than others) the SLC’s came out on top.

Now, if the rumors are true, Swarovski have moved the SLC line to the Kahles HELIA brand (see here: https://www.optics-trade.eu/us/kahles-helia-s-8x42.html) which could explain why you’re having such a hard time finding them.

i agree with the several suggestions of the 8.5X EL, it's a pretty incredible optic, and before the pures came out, would probably be my pick if i could only have one binocular.... wait until you find a deal here or elsewhere and you'll be a happy camper with no desire to upgrade. i have some 8X slc, and 12X nl pures, but if i had to whittle that down to one set it would be 8.5X EL or 10X nl pure

another option (and a dang good option) would be the kowa genesis 8.5x44 which can be had for about a grand at cameraland right now. i have the 10.5X and like them a good deal more than my 10X slc, and very comparable to the EL... never used the 8.5X's, but i would not hesitate buying them, and would never sell my 10.5X's

Stay in the 8x if that's what you like! I love the debate on 8x or 10x. Everyone wants the best performance in low light, but the majority says 10x is best...?

Tesoro

Lil-Rokslider
The thing about the range is you are packing around more weight/bulk and esp when you are using your binos for non-hunting or scouting. Also technology changes/improves way faster than great glass. We are already at the glass point where our eyes cant discern the glass improvements. In 5 yrs we might have range finders hanging on our necks that are the size of bic lighters.

tdhanses

WKR
OP
C
I just explored the aforementioned Kahles Helia S and by all reports it is the SLC in a different skin. The price is $1,550 and that includes all customs taxes and expedited FedEx or UPS shipping. Not sure if I can post links to a dealer site, but it appears to be a reputable European optics dealer. I don't know if I can get over that brown color with Hunter orange stripe though. Plus many here said they would go EL if both were the same money. In reality only around $350-375 difference. Just throwing that out there if someone was interested in a brand new pair of SLC in 8x or 10x.

Super tag

WKR
It’ll be a long time before I need anything more than the EL range, I’ll probably be dead before technology gets as sophisticated as your suggesting, look where it is today, 2022, they’re easily the best I’ve been able to find, and the weight? I’ll sacrifice a few ounces somewhere else, I’m older and don’t even notice the weight LOL - like I said- EL Range