Older 'New' SLC or spend a few extra and buy the EL?

tdhanses

WKR
I just explored the aforementioned Kahles Helia S and by all reports it is the SLC in a different skin. The price is $1,550 and that includes all customs taxes and expedited FedEx or UPS shipping. Not sure if I can post links to a dealer site, but it appears to be a reputable European optics dealer. I don't know if I can get over that brown color with Hunter orange stripe though. Plus many here said they would go EL if both were the same money. In reality only around $350-375 difference. Just throwing that out there if someone was interested in a brand new pair of SLC in 8x or 10x.
Better mention that NA Swaro will not do warranty, they have to be shipped back to Europe.

tdhanses

WKR
It’ll be a long time before I need anything more than the EL range, I’ll probably be dead before technology gets as sophisticated as your suggesting, look where it is today, 2022, they’re easily the best I’ve been able to find, and the weight? I’ll sacrifice a few ounces somewhere else, I’m older and don’t even notice the weight LOL - like I said- EL Range
I have to agree, the extra weight of ranging binos isn’t a big deal.

OP
C
Yeah I didn’t look closely at them.
I wouldn't have either. The seller is honest and mentioned the scratches in the description. Those are pretty bad! Like someone intentionally scratched them with a brillo pad. Jilted ex-girlfriend maybe? Possibly stored in a pack without lens covers with another object with sharp edges riding along.

tdhanses

WKR
I wouldn't have either. The seller is honest and mentioned the scratches in the description. Those are pretty bad! Like someone intentionally scratched them with a brillo pad. Jilted ex-girlfriend maybe? Possibly stored in a pack without lens covers with another object with sharp edges riding along.
Well if they went cheap enough i think most have said swaro charges around $300 to replace all lenses. Might not be bad for $500.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you're looking at used SLC's, best to put a little time in researching the different revisions; I looked at an early circa 2000 pair and ended up passing when I found (an almost new) pair manufactured in 2020- for not a lot of $ more

lots of debate on EL's vs SLC's, best bet would be try to find a pair of each and see what your eyes like best- my guess is both are going to look pretty damn good :)

Honyock

WKR
Maybe it's that my eyes are old, but at some level I can't tell the difference in the "new" model and the "old model. other than the "new" price. Alpha glass from either of the big three is worth the money. Just don't get the constant upgrades swapping one alpha for another alpha.

OP
C
I'm starting to eye the 8x32 EL model. Those seem significantly lighter. Unfortunately discontinued like the SLC. Odd decisions on Swaro's part from a consumer perspective. Any opinions on the little brother 8x32 EL? I'd appreciate any hot leads too. Thanks again opinions and insight!

Trr15

WKR
I'm starting to eye the 8x32 EL model. Those seem significantly lighter. Unfortunately discontinued like the SLC. Odd decisions on Swaro's part from a consumer perspective. Any opinions on the little brother 8x32 EL? I'd appreciate any hot leads too. Thanks again opinions and insight!
I’ve been thinking about trying the 8x32 ELs as well. They seem to be a little less common, but the guys here who own them rave about them. Feedback seems to be that you’re giving up little in the way of performance, but gaining a lot in terms of weight and size reductions.

tdhanses

WKR
Keep an eye on the classifeds or give cameralandny, s&s archery and black ovis a call and let them know your a forum member and see what price they’ll give you.

You rarely see people sell their 8x32’s.

Have you considered a rangefinding bino, while more expensive the new leica geovid pro is sexy.

Swaro can only make so many binoculars, and supposedly they're months behind on their orders.

Discontinuing the EL 32 makes a lot of sense with the NL32 and CL Companion out.

Brooks

WKR
I sold a pair of 8.5x42 EL’s last year that I bought new in 2004 for $1400 I sold them for $1300 . I now own a pair of 12x50 EL’s . For guiding and hunting elk they are great. If you’re a tree stand hunter the 8.5x42 are really good if you go out west and spend all day glassing canyons and long distance you will probably always wish you had more power. But the 8.2x42 are great binos.

the worst scratches i have got on binos was blacktail hunting, leaving the glass on the tripod and hustling for about a mile... i think some muddy water from my boots got a little drop on an objective (barely colored from dirt) i dabbed it off with a lens cloth, then went to clean with a lens pen (could no longer see anything on the lens but a water mark) and it scratched it pretty bad.... looked like it could not have been caused by what it was caused by..... i learned a lesson there though! no more lens pens for me, and always carry a bino harness rain cover that came with one of my harnesses now, so if it rains while i have my glass on the tripod i can cover it, or if i need to cover some ground fast without breaking the tripod down, i can cover them so that never happens again.... i always thought bino harness rain covers were so useless until i started using them outside of their intended purpose.... when the weather is really bad, i always wear my harness under my rain jacket (always have) because a rain cover isn't keeping them dry if it's really wet out... back of the harness gets saturated and will fog your glass

OP
C
Now I'm in-between SLC 8x42 or EL 8x32 and possibly EL 8.5x42. All latest versions. Found some good deals this morning. I like the weight of the EL 8x32, but the Swarrovision ball effect scares me. I didn't notice it in the store though. Flare scares me a little in bright light on the ELs. The field of view looks about equal between the group. Thanks again for help in deciding! You guys are a great source of experience.

OP
C
Just wanted to update the thread to tell you guys I located a BNIB Swarovski 8x42 SLC at a gun & outdoor store here in NC for $1,230 before tax. Last pair. They won't ship merchandise, so It was a 6 hour drive roundtrip, but worth it to me. My wife said "that's the ones you really want? Let's all go!" How many pairs are left brand new sitting around? Not many is my guess as I combed the internet looking for them. Called every conceivable place that sells optics. Called dozens and dozens of dealers listed on the Swarro site. Called dozens and dozens of brick and mortar small time outdoor stores. When I called the store that had them (on a lark) I couldn't believe it when the guy said they had a brand new pair sitting in the locked cabinet in front of him.

Anyway, I love them! I was able to do a little bird watching here at our farm today. Clarity and brightness blows my Leupolds away. I thought the Leupold binoculars were pretty decent before. NOW I know they are shockingly bad. These are just so freaking good. Crazy! Thanks for everyone's help!