older (special) rifle project

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Going to put a few coats of TruOil on the interior of the stock, under the butt pad and stock cap- all of this wood was completely untreated- dried wood, should soak it up pretty good

FT6xg5s.jpg

Ef0LII4.jpg

Going to put a few coats of TruOil on the interior of the stock, under the butt pad and stock cap- all of this wood was completely untreated- dried wood, should soak it up pretty good

FT6xg5s.jpg

Ef0LII4.jpg

FT6xg5s.jpg

Ef0LII4.jpg
TruOil is not a very good moisture barrier. It makes a pretty finish for a display rifle, but I would never consider it for the harsh wet conditions that a hunting rifle encounters.

I would strongly suggest Permalyn Sealer and Permalyn Finish, instead. Its a blend of oils and urethane polymers. I've been using it for years refinishing stocks, with great results. Finish is a rich warm satin luster. I also routinely apply Renaissance Wax to all my firearms, both wood and metal surfaces. Protects without a high shine.

Nothing prettier than a Featherweight

Last edited:
OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'll look into those. A satin finish for the stock would definitely be nice :)

I'm guessing the Tru-Oil will be at least a step up from the totally untreated wood it's going on.

Wrench

WKR
Do a little google foo on tru oil and armor-all. I've done it on a few stocks with success. I agree tru isn't the best choice, but once it's built up and worked in.....it's certainly good enough.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Almost a year, so an update warranted :D

Got the rifle back from the gunsmith- I was derelict in procrastinating getting it to him.

He put a lighter trigger spring (Ernie the Gunsmith spring) in, now breaking at ~ 3.5 lbs.

He bedded the action; hopefully that pays off a little at the range.

Had him replace the factory pad with a Microcell pad- saved about 2 oz there.

He had to fit the PTG bottom metal; sounds like that par for the course- not sure why they couldn't get it sized to drop in????

I was wrong about the rifle coming from the factory with the stock drilled out- my late father-in-law must have done that. Funny even 50 years ago guys were looking to lighten rifles up :D

The rifle weighed 6# 14 oz when I got it. It now weighs 6# even, so almost a pound savings- an ounce here, an ounce there.

With the Swaro 3.5-10X42 Z3 (12.6 oz) and Talley Lightweight mounts (2.5 oz), I'll be just under 7 lbs- good enough!

ri9NJ5W.jpg

Y9SNAD7.jpg

DklWaQK.jpg

Macintosh

WKR
Missed this thread the first time around. Looks great! Bet that’ll stir up some memories carrying that around in AK. Your hunt still on for this coming fall?

What an awesome project. I love hunting with a wood stocked rifle. There’s a connection that’s not there with synthetic. Best of luck on your Dall hunt!

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How was the hunt? I just got the same rifle from my dad in .270, so this was a great read.

Well I took it to the range just prior to the hunt and the bolt wouldn’t full close with a round in it (would fully close on an empty chamber). Didn’t have time to get it repaired and turned around in time so had to go with plan B and brought my little Kimber.

I’ve since had it repaired, the smith put a new extractor in it and it functions fine. It’s possible something went awry when the bolt was fluted, don’t know.

Anyway the rifle sits at 6 lbs, pretty light for a wood stock rifle :)

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Been following this thread because I truly love M70 Featherweights.
What are the details on the Kimber, my other favorite. And how did it perform on the hunt?

It's a Kimber Hunter in .308- I've cut the barrel to 19" and lightened some other things up, wears a 2-7 Leupold in Tally Lightweight rings- it's 5# 11oz all in.

It did great. Ram was 410 yards, longer shot than I was hoping for- but one shot and lights out.

ZCqu9Jx.jpg

NAUxdxi.jpg