Older Swarovski EL focus speed vs new EL-worth the upgrade to faster?

Does anyone know how many turns it takes for the first gen to go from near too far. I just got a used pair and have sent them back already for a check up as the focus wheel seemed to need a vice grip to get it to turn.

I forgot to count the the turns it took with them. Not sure it would have mattered as it did seem to be way off.

I have a newish pair of Swarovski Swarovision EL 10x42 that are great and take about 2.5 turns total from close to infinity.

Swarvoski said they could could "upgrade" my older pair to the newer 2.5 turns.

At what they cost new t I suggested they do it for free! They said $279 for the upgrade. Since I don't know how it's supposed to be I'm not sure its it's worth it.

Any thoughts from the Optics Einsteins here. I used to think birdwatchers were obsessed with binoculars and scopes. Not even close to hunters.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
i had an old pair of 10x42 els and a new pair of the same same. i didnt notice any difference. there may have been one, i just didnt notice it. if that helps at all.

Once you get them close you only focus like 1/4 turn.
Idk why you would be working then thru the entire range.
But if you're worried about it just pay the upgrade.

OP
thanks4thefish42
The ones I sent back today were like 6 turns from back to front. They just were plain broken and Swarovski will fix them. I asked them for a loaner pair? They have not said no yet.

Yes I am going to look into the Zeiss and Leica when I get these back.

So far this year I have had my Fujinon, Nikon and Monarchs all back to the factory for repair and now Swarovski. EDIT-add the Vortex Diamondbacks to the list. Holy shit.

I'm fairly careful with my gear and it amazes me that something so seemingly simple can break so frequently.
I work as a boat captain still so need good Binos most all the time. Getting weary of the breakdowns.

That's the info I just can't finds how many turns the old ones would take from back to front. Does not sound like it's a worthy upgrade. As for the range, I sometimes like to look from my tree stand for snakes and critters to keep myself amused waiting for Doey and Bucky to show up. I've got Vortex, Steiner, Nikon and Fujinon as well as Swarvoski and the Swaros have the hardest to turn focus knob.

Last edited:

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
There is probably something wrong with them then. I’ve had 4 pair, and 3 of the four were effortless. My 4th pair....they’ll be sent back to have that looked at this winter after hunting season. It’s not as smooth as it should be, and i have 1000% confidence they’ll come back smoother than Rico Suave.

I have 2005 vintage ELs 8.5x42. Not sure if the power makes any difference.
You can go from one end of focus to the other in about 2 turns. You can keep turning the focus wheel but all that is turning is outside cover of the wheel. The inside which is the actual control knob stops turning in a bit less than 2 turns. Mine is slightly harder turning one way than the other.
Mine have never been back to Swaro for any repair , cleaning or lubrication. They have been used extensively every year since I bought them.