Older Wash. State Guy

Greetings

Lurker turned member. Two years into retirement. I have lived in SW Washington my entire life. I enjoy hunting both blacktail and mule deer, roosevelt and rocky mtn. elk. Besides my home state I hunt eastern Oregon regularly for archery elk. I've hunted Idaho and Colorado and this fall hunting Wyoming and I'm very excited for that hunt. This is a great forum and I'm glad to be here.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Welcome to the group from another Washingtonian who is also 2 years into retirement. I live in Tumwater, have a cabin in Packwood, & spend a good bit of time in Olympic NF, Gifford Pinchot NF, and Mt. Rainier NP.

Herbie03

FNG
If I may jump into this thread that has been allowed to retire(see what I did there?), I have a step daughter that now lives in Seattle. This means I'll be joining my wife to visit her occasionally. I've been archery hunting elk in various western states but OR and WA have been a bit too far of a drive from StL. (I hate flying with my gear) Anyway, since I figure I'll be out there maybe I can tack on an elk hunt mid to late Sept. I'm seeing a lot of negativity for elk hunting, especially in western WA but as a member of the over 60 club and a glutton for punishment, I thought I'd see if you guys could give me some leads on prime otc spots :ROFLMAO: or more to the point any recommendations on guided, semi guided or drop camp outfitters. Maybe one of you would "act" as a wilderness guide? Maybe I'm peeing up a tree.
I'm not opposed to a nice trophy bull, but I enjoy the experience as much or more than the kill (I'm a vet of experiences vs kills). A fat spike or juicy cow will put a lot of meat in my freezer. I'm in good shape, and enjoy backcountry spike camps (glutton for punishment). As a former infantry Marine and Coastie (USCG) I know enough about my limitations and survival to get myself in trouble.
Anything constructive shared is greatly appreciated and top secret PM's will be guarded with my life.