Ole Ryan Callaghan got robbed.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
All the converstions that sparked from this are interesting to read.

Getting a weapon in hand and getting into a defensive position is the absolute best thing to do in a home invasion. Storming through your home with a gun searching for someone is a terrible move. It’s proven and trained against.

Have a plan in place and practice. It sounds stupid, but actually go through the motions with your weapon unloaded until it feels quick and comfortable. Likely entry points are garages, first story windows, and back doors. Especially sliding glass doors. Keep that in mind when coming up with your plan.

Be ready to adapt and be prepared to wait a LONG time for police to respond to your 911 call. Go watch YouTube videos of home invasions recorded on 911 calls and watch how long it takes for responders to arrive.

Do I remain in my defensive position and just let them leave with my stuff? Yes. The vast majority of robberies are not guys coming in to kill you. They want your stuff and want to get out. Don’t potentially lose your life over possessions. Protect your family and yourself.

Be aware of where children’s bedrooms are and factor them into your plan. Depending on entry point of the invader you may need to have multiple plans in place to protect your kids.

Know your backstop. Seems like no brainer but position yourself in a way that gunfire and possible return fire aren’t going through walls with people inside the
room.

Be comfortable with your weapon of choice. Can you shoot it in the dark with your adrenaline pumping? Practice practice practice. Make yourself as small a target as possible. This also makes you harder to see. Laying prone or squatting in a tactical position works well. Practice shooting in these positions. It’s very awkward and hard to be accurate at first.

If you end up having to shoot, shoot them dead. Make sure they are out of the fight with multiple accurate shots and maintain defensive position. There could be more than one invader. There could be another waiting outside. Maintain your position. Reload if needed. Don’t leave your spot. Shots will wake your family if they aren’t awake already. Yell to them loudly to stay in bed and don’t move. Tell them you have everything under control but they need to remain in place. Your ears will be ringing which can be disorienting and prevents you from potentially hearing another intruder sneak in, or a second intruder from fleeing or going towards the shots. Be ready for follow up using vision as your best sense. Stay in your defensive position until the responders arrive.

Again. Be prepared and actually practice your home invasion routine. Talk it out with your family too. It’s awkward conversations to have and your wife may roll her eyes at you but it’s worth it to be prepared.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, there are literally laws in place that specifically have wording to the effect of "Shall not be prosecuted...". You have to meet the criteria, but as long as you do, you are protected by the law. It depends on the state. It's amazing how good our laws are in SC and how absolutely bat shit, convoluted, and idiotic the gun laws are in our neighbor to the north.

I disagree with anyone who says it's a bad decision to use a firearm under all circumstances, even those that are justified. It's a GREAT decision if it prevents injury or death of a family member or an innocent person who is actually being threatened by a bad guy. There will be due diligence required if this happens, but not enough to make a good decision be a bad decision.

I've had to rely on my firearm one time when I found a man chasing a woman in the woods (after first chasing her in his car as she ran down the road) when I was riding my dirt bike. I didn't have to shoot, but I would have if things went slightly different. I went through what it took to back up my decision to use the threat of death to solve this problem. Thankfully I was on the phone with 911 the entire time and they could hear everything that was happening.

If this was at my comment, I was saying it's a bad decision, but it might be the best choice given. Shooting a firearm in self defense can be quite necessary, it doesn't make it a good thing.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Not that it applies to Cal's case but there are some really interesting interviews of serial killers on YT. A number of serial killers would break into homes, lie in wait and surprise the home owner. BTK in Wichita for example. He would tell the home owner that if they did what they told them, no one would get hurt. He would then of course get them physically under control...torture, rape and then kill them, hence the nickname. Another sk said it really surprised him how many women never fought back when he first attacked them. He was a small guy. He said his victims believed him when he said he wouldn't hurt them if they did what he wanted.

What I learned watching those videos is that smart killers won't threaten your life until they have an advantage or control. They are going to tell you the complete opposite to gain it.

They may not be physically imposing at all. It will be difficult to determine intent and you may have seconds to realize that you and yours are in real trouble. Its probably not the drunk we need to really worry about or the guy that says he's going to beat your azz. It's the guy that looks and talks normal. BTK was a deacon in his church. People don't want to believe that other people want to hurt them. They try to rationalize what a normal person would or should do and assume everybody follows the same rules. It is that process that killers rely on.

If someone enters my home, I am going to assume the worst and act accordingly. I am not going to waste a lot of time trying to determine intent.

IMO what Cal did was smart though. Arm yourself, take a defensive position and call the PD if you can. Experts don't recommend going looking for them. You don't know what you're walking into. If they find you....read above.

I can agree with this. The only addition I would have is: Understand your house and the tactics needed. I'm not going to look for an intruder in my house if I can help it. I will secure my loved ones and hopefully wait behind a bed with gun on door and 911 on the phone. Hopefully, LEO arrives before it gets worse.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider

Getting a weapon in hand and getting into a defensive position is the absolute best thing to do in a home invasion. Storming through your home with a gun searching for someone is a terrible move. It’s proven and trained against.

Have a plan in place and practice. It sounds stupid, but actually go through the motions with your weapon unloaded until it feels quick and comfortable. Likely entry points are garages, first story windows, and back doors. Especially sliding glass doors. Keep that in mind when coming up with your plan.

Be ready to adapt and be prepared to wait a LONG time for police to respond to your 911 call. Go watch YouTube videos of home invasions recorded on 911 calls and watch how long it takes for responders to arrive.

Do I remain in my defensive position and just let them leave with my stuff? Yes. The vast majority of robberies are not guys coming in to kill you. They want your stuff and want to get out. Don’t potentially lose your life over possessions. Protect your family and yourself.

Be aware of where children’s bedrooms are and factor them into your plan. Depending on entry point of the invader you may need to have multiple plans in place to protect your kids.

Know your backstop. Seems like no brainer but position yourself in a way that gunfire and possible return fire aren’t going through walls with people inside the
room.

Be comfortable with your weapon of choice. Can you shoot it in the dark with your adrenaline pumping? Practice practice practice. Make yourself as small a target as possible. This also makes you harder to see. Laying prone or squatting in a tactical position works well. Practice shooting in these positions. It’s very awkward and hard to be accurate at first.

If you end up having to shoot, shoot them dead. Make sure they are out of the fight with multiple accurate shots and maintain defensive position. There could be more than one invader. There could be another waiting outside. Maintain your position. Reload if needed. Don’t leave your spot. Shots will wake your family if they aren’t awake already. Yell to them loudly to stay in bed and don’t move. Tell them you have everything under control but they need to remain in place. Your ears will be ringing which can be disorienting and prevents you from potentially hearing another intruder sneak in, or a second intruder from fleeing or going towards the shots. Be ready for follow up using vision as your best sense. Stay in your defensive position until the responders arrive.

Again. Be prepared and actually practice your home invasion routine. Talk it out with your family too. It’s awkward conversations to have and your wife may roll her eyes at you but it’s worth it to be prepared.

Just to add to this. I had a drunk come over three lanes and rear ended me and my wife on New Years many years ago. We pulled over, they faked pulling over and then took off. I didn't know what condition our vehicle was in and I wasn't putting my wife in danger. Tried calling 911 from our cell, got no answer. We waited for a good while. No call back either.

Felix40

WKR

room.

Probably the best way to handle it here unless you have to go through the house to get to your kids’ bedrooms to make sure they are safe.

You made a good point about not getting tunnel vision under high stress. From experience though, you wont even notice your ears ringing. Kind of how you dont notice recoil when you shoot an animal.

Felix40

WKR
Can someone post up what episode this is discussed? I dont listen to his podcast and nobody has done a decent job of describing what happened.

Can someone post up what episode this is discussed? I dont listen to his podcast and nobody has done a decent job of describing what happened.

I had time to listen to episode and he did the right thing. Sounds like his life was never in danger...tweakers gonna steal shit. Yes it sucks but stuff isn't worth anyone's life or the grief of living with the consequences.

Gotta love arm chair quarterbacks. The national standard for using deadly force is if your life is in danger. There may be some state laws that allow taking a life for lesser reasons, but I wouldn't risk my freedom on them holding up in court. If you live in one of those states and would risk your freedom, good luck and hopefully it works out in your favor.
people tough talk on the internet about what they would have done, but i'm not killing someone unless it's a last resort.... if someone broke into my house, that would put me in a bad spot with my wife and daughter being there.... really hope I never have to make that call.

Cal is a smart guy who obviously has good self control, and he certainly made the right call (haven't listened to his podcast yet) glad it didn't go worse. I like Cal, he is one of the few personalities in the hunting industry I like and have no problem being represented by as a hunter.

the truth is, unless we have been in the situation, we don't know what we would have done in Cal's situation

KSP277

WKR
You should see if he’s single
Before you get worried, just know that his mustache is safe and sound.

Listened to the latest Meateater and it seems some thugs broke into the Stache House and made of with some misc goodies. Cal was home and resisted the urge to let his mustache go all Yosemite Sam on them and blast away.

While it sucks to have to deal with that, Cal still has:

- a pretty cool job
- the best mustache in the hunting industry
- weapons grade sex appeal

So it ain’t all bad.

Going to start a go fund me page to buy him a case of beer and a really small violin to deal with his sorrows.

After listening to the podcast and Ryan's telling of the story it makes sense not to go down stairs against an unknown number of intruders and no knowledge of whether or not they are armed. Ryan was the only one in the home, if he had a family his actions might have been different or they might have been the same.

My other thought is that if the police had approached the residence quietly they probably would have caught the thieves. Ryan said that he didn't hear his truck start until he heard the sirens coming. I have no LEO training so maybe their intent is to approach with sirens blasting so that the perps flee the scene and reduce the potential for confrontation.

Blaw

WKR
You know there is a lot of talk here, and I had a situation that really opened my eyes to my own reality.
first off I am in canada. The law here is you can only use enough force to stop yourself from being hurt. and if it involves a firearm you will probably still go to jail. Just happened to a farmer in southern alberta on a farm. One of his outlying building was being robbed. he shot at the ground to scare them off....he had a ricochete, and glanced off one of the guys.....was super minor. The farmer was going to be going to jail. except pretty much all of southern alberta started protesting etc. so he got off the hook.

Anyway my situation. I was woken up 2 am from my dogs losing their shit at the window of my bedroom (2nd story looking into backyard) I got up looked out the window...saw a guy creeping into my backyard...about 10 ft from my back door.
My thoughts where not to grab a knife, unlock by rifle load it, grab a bat etc. My thoughts where "oh shit is this really gonna happen..." as I stood there, kinda dumb founded.

I ended up turning my light on so I was backlit and yelled at the guy which scared the crap out of him and he started begging me not to call the cops.
Long story short he ran away and dumped an empty bear spray container in my backyard..he had sprayed someone and was hiding.

I am not a small guy 6.4" 220-230lbs worked front door of bars for 6 yrs, as well as boxed. Numerous fights, and both my dogs are 70lbs each....And that was a very eye opening moment that none of that mattered, and you kind of get in this "is this really going to happen freeze up state" That being said I live alone and don't have a family so it may be different in other scenarios.

Lots of warriors behind keyboards who have never been in a fight, had weapons pulled on them etc. I have experienced all of that and it is a VERY different feeling when you think someone is about to come into your house.

Blaw

WKR
A good lesson from this story is to bring your garage door opener inside if you park in front of your house. I just started doing this a few weeks ago because most of our supplies and long term food is in our garage.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
great advise, I have heard of people getting their car broken into in front of their house, and either having the garage opened and robbed then, OR at a later date.

The moral of the story is don't ever buy nice things. Just buy the biggest pieces of crap you can find....maybe when someone tries to rob you, they will feel sorry for all the garbage you have and leave you something nicer :)

Bobbyboe

WKR
A good lesson from this story is to bring your garage door opener inside if you park in front of your house. I just started doing this a few weeks ago because most of our supplies and long term food is in our garage.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Great takeaway. I'm guilty of leaving my opener inside my vehicle when parked outside.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
After listening to the podcast and his reasoning, I believe he made the right choice. (This coming from a person that sleeps next to a 10.5" 300 BO ar pistol). Sounds like he got most of the stuff back and what they did make off with wasn't worth much. The two guns they took they left in the truck a tenth of a mile down the road.

Hindsight is typically 20/20 and he still feels he made the right decision.

Gobbler36

WKR
I listened to the podcast yesterday and I think Cal was intelligent and kept himself steady and by far made the best decision to not walk out with his gun in hand, to me I think there are two kickers that would have changed what I would’ve done. One is my three boys and wife in my house, to me this changes things drastically the urge to make sure and protect my family might would over come the urge to not want to shoot someone but for Cal he’s by himself and is only thinking for one. Two is there position in the house if they were on there way up the stairs or in my main living quarters I have to assume that their intent went from just taking some power tools to the intent of doing me harm which changes the scenario very quickly.

crazy him describing that he knew if he walked out he would kill someone and related it to hunting and “ just gonna look at it through the scope“ syndrome lol 2 years ago I ended up looking at a forky horn buck through scope after a brutal hike, an hour later I was stuffing that forky horn in my backpack!!😝