Olicamp XTS

I had mentioned I would be getting an Olicamp XTS to someone on here, and thought I would post up my initial thoughts.

First thing took it out of the box, and the little mesh carry bag and put it on the scale. Weighed in at 6.6oz, very good. No obvious defects, uniform application of rubber material on the handles, and the lid fit snugly enough to lift up the entire pot with a 230g canister of fuel in it.

Took it out this weekend with a group of 5, and made it pull cooking duty for everyone with three different stoves, a MSR Pocket Rocket, a Coleman Peak 1, and a Coleman Exponent F1. All water was taken from a nearby trout stream with water temps that run in the 30-40degr range.

In 40degr weather with light winds without a wind screen it consistently boiled 16 ounces in 2 minutes +/- a couple of seconds with each stove without the lid on. It was used 15 times this way.

In the same conditions but with the lid placed over the top it consistently boiled 16 ounces in 1min 45sec +/- a couple of seconds with each stove. It was used this way 28 times.

It is worth noting that all three of the stoves tested have a different flame pattern yet the results were pretty uniform across the board. I plan on testing it shortly with the Soto OD-1R.

Also worth noting that the lid has not warped yet. Nor did it become too hot to handle unless you left it on and kept the water boiling for an extra minute or so, then you had to let it cool down a bit to grab it with your bare hand.

P1050894.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
How well does it protect the pocket rocket head from wind? From your photo it almost looks like the PR head goes up into the heat exchanger almost like a jetboil stove.

Maybe a pic of it with the PR on a flat surface so you can see the head of the PR

Wow its cheap too! Might have to try this for the PR.

OP
Backpack Hunter
Buckman; I have used a ton of different pots, and this has beat the times on all of them that do not have a heat exchanger on the bottom. I have seen similar results using a standard pot and a homemade heat exchanger, and of course the Firemaple so I am fairly confident that is the key to its efficiency.

Lawnboi; I will take some more pics from various angles shortly. I did not even pay attention to any kind of wind protection as the wind was very light.

bbrown

WKR
I am really tempted to try this - currently running the Halulite Minimalist and it is a good little kit but I bet the heat exchanger makes a big difference. Where did yours up if you don't mind asking?

Snyd

WKR
This pot might get me a little more excited about a Pocket Rocket. Especially at it's price point.

OP
Backpack Hunter
P1050899.jpg

P1050900.jpg

Does not look like there is much in the way of wind protection, but should be easily remedied with a piece of tin foil or lightweight aluminum if you wanted to.
The stove is turned about half way up in the pics.

Lawnboi

WKR
amazon is selling them.

Its too bad you cant get it to go up in there a little bit more for wind protection. Then it would almost be just like the jetboil

Teeton

Lil-Rokslider
They are on ebay for around the same price. As for a wind screen, I just use a piece of tin foil warped halfway around the windy side of the stove. Held on to the fuel tank with a rubber band.. BPH again thanks for the review. I'm going to be ordering one from ebay tonight. 1min 45 sec is going cut down on fuel usage.

Last edited:
OP
Backpack Hunter
They are on ebay for around the same price. As for a wind screen, I just use a piece of tin foil warped halfway around the windy side of the stove. Held on to the fuel tank with a rubber band.. BPH again thanks for the review. I'm going to be ordering one from ebay tonight. 1min 45 sec is going cut down on fuel usage.

It does help on fuel usage for sure. I imagine the Soto will be even better in that regard.

bbrown

WKR
Just to add to Backpack Hunter's review....
I picked one of these up to go with my Snowpeak Giga stove. Out of the box it came in at 7.6oz with just the pot and lid so slightly over what is advertised. Quality is just like described above - looks like it should last.

I had been using a GSI Halulite Minimalist kit which has been a great little kit. Pot, cozy, lid, gripper, stove, 110g fuel canister and even a small GSI spice kit all fit neatly inside and come in at 16.8oz - not too shabby.
attachment.php

With all the same stuff in the XTS plus the bigger 230g fuel canister the kit comes in at 24.6oz. Most of the difference in weight comes from the extra fuel because with the smaller canister in the XTS it only came in 1.5oz heavier than the whole kit in the GSI Halulite.

I did a couple test run boils in each container with 16oz of cold tap water (left the faucet run for about a min) - one round (3 boils each) in my garage sheltered from any wind and one round (3 boils each) on the back porch with a slight breeze.
In the garage the boil times averaged 4:51 with the Halulite and 3:37 with the XTS.
On the back porch un-sheltered from the wind, times jumped to 7:26 with the Halulite and 5:58 with the XTS.

My only real complaints are the actual size of the pot - its about a inch wider and an inch taller. Not really a huge deal but I have gotten so used to the smaller size of the hallulite that it seems much bigger. That and only the 230g canister fits well which is 2x more fuel than I am used to or needing to carry.

I really wish they made a .6L XTS pot that fit the smaller fuel canister but oh well I will probably end up returning the XTS as it just does into fit my needs as well as the GSI.
attachment.php

*Just so you get an idea of the size...

Attachments

• Pack Pics 016.jpg
    Pack Pics 016.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 290
  • Pack Pics 017.jpg
    Pack Pics 017.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

bbrown

WKR
I thought about that because there is plenty of room above the 32oz mark but I would rather it be smaller diameter to fit the 110g fuel canister.
Then it would be perfect.... for me anyways.