Olympus EM5 IIs Opinions

Hey everyone, was looking for opinions and experiences with your Olympus EM5 IIs. Joel from camera land is sending me one after some discussion. I m not familiar with the Olympus line of cameras.

I m hoping to get some real world experiences posted up as I m trying to decide which camera is the best one for me!

Thanks!

tdot

WKR
I have the Mark 1, but they are pretty similar.

Fantastic camera. The only major con that I've come across is the menu system, but if you learn it, it is a huge pro. It is just a big project to learn as there are just so many settings that can be tweaked. I was fortunate to have a buddy who tweaks mine for me.
The low light performance is considerably better on the Sony's. This can be partially mitigated with lens selection.

The Pro's were enough to make me switch from a Canon and I have 4 L lenses and I found the Mark 1 to be a more versatile camera.

OP
marshland_max
I have the Mark 1, but they are pretty similar.

Fantastic camera. The only major con that I've come across is the menu system, but if you learn it, it is a huge pro. It is just a big project to learn as there are just so many settings that can be tweaked. I was fortunate to have a buddy who tweaks mine for me.
The low light performance is considerably better on the Sony's. This can be partially mitigated with lens selection.

The Pro's were enough to make me switch from a Canon and I have 4 L lenses and I found the Mark 1 to be a more versatile camera.

Cool, What Canon did you have? I have been using a borrowed 7d II which is awesome, just way to big. I have been concerned about the low light Performance of the EM5 since starting this adventure, I do 90% of my shooting in low light. I m also concerned about the AF since the 5 is Contrast vs. Phase. I have a feeling this thing is going to "hunt" in low light. I was also concerned about the menu that you brought up. Everyone I have talked to says its busy and that's not what I wanted. I doubt I'll ever need 4k video, but a good AF is an absolute must.

The reason I decided to try it was it was the only waterproof body and lens I could find in a reasonably sized package around 1k. I'll have it Saturday in my hands, but I have my doubts. Kinda regretting buying it now.

Last edited:

PJG

WKR
I wouldn't regret your decision, I have never owned the EM5 but have owned the EM1 and now currently own the EM1 mark II. I sold the EM1 to buy a sony A7, sold the A7 to buy a Fuji XT3, sold the Fuji to get back to the olympus. For me the lens selection and the lens price just fits me. I don't have to break the bank with the olympus system and it does everything that i need it to do.

I will echo tdots statement also, yes the menu system can have a bit of a steep learning curve, but so do the Sony's and Fuji's. The Fuji is very user friendly, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to learn the menu system. I do a ton of low light, I've never had a problem with the oly. Learn how to use the manual focus if you are off of a tripod. Plus, you can get pretty artistic using the live and composite features of the oly.

Attachments

• IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 72
  • P5020061.JPG
    P5020061.JPG
    158.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0623.JPG
    IMG_0623.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0921.JPG
    IMG_0921.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 70

Wapiti1

WKR
Like tdot, I moved to Oly from Canon. I've shot all of the Canon bodies except the X.

The EM5 is a very capable camera. If your hands are large, it will be hard to hold, especially if it is cold out. There are some accessory grips out there to look into if that is the case.

As noted the menu system is odd. It works, and once you learn it (it doesn't take that long), it is fine. To help with limiting use of the menus, there are custom function buttons available, and you can reassign some buttons to other functions. Very handy if you are moving from one system to this one and the buttons are all or a sudden in the wrong spot.

Pros: size, weight, lens availability (panasonic has a few sweet options as well), build quality, weatherproof, JPEG colors are good out of the camera, autofocus speed

Cons: low light capability (more on this below), autofocus on moving subjects, battery life,

The autofocus is lightening fast, but their tracking isn't as robust as Canon/Nikon. Once you get used to it, no issues, but my keeper rate is lower with the EM5. My EM1 MK2 is better at moving subjects. By moving, I mean things like a hockey game, birds in flight, etc. things moving very fast.

Low light. The smaller sensor limits the amount of light, and you get more noise. Fact or life. Is it too much? No, you can still take very good photos with it, but just know it isn't going to be on par with a full frame sensor. PJG makes a good case above that it is a non-issue.

Why did I switch? Weight, and quality. Oly got to a photo quality level that I was comfortable with, and it cut my backpack gear weight by 50% or more depending on what I am doing. The vast majority of my photography is during travel, with about half of that traveling on my feet. The bigger gear became limiting and I wasn't having fun. Photography should be fun.

Jeremy

OP
marshland_max
Thanks guys, good stuff. I m still learning about this. I m wondering if i should pick up a nifty fifty for this camera? or something else from the one it comes with?

tdot

WKR
Why did I switch? Weight, and quality. Oly got to a photo quality level that I was comfortable with, and it cut my backpack gear weight by 50% or more depending on what I am doing. The vast majority of my photography is during travel, with about half of that traveling on my feet. The bigger gear became limiting and I wasn't having fun. Photography should be fun.

I couldnt agree with this summary more. My Canon setup had grown and I was travelling with it in a Pelican case to keep it safe. It was becoming more hassle then fun.

The Olympus setup put the fun back in photography for me. I carry it on the shoulder strap of my packs, I dont worry about the weather anymore. Its helped to make photography fun again. So I bring my camera and I use it. Generally my photos are 95% of my Canon photos. The low light photos are probably 85-90% the quality. But I have the camera and I take the photo, so really, they are infinitely better then my Canon setup.

tdot

WKR
Thanks guys, good stuff. I m still learning about this. I m wondering if i should pick up a nifty fifty for this camera? or something else from the one it comes with?

With the sensor size on these cameras a 25mm f1.4 is the equivalent to a 50mm f2.8 with a full frame camera.

I'd recommend to get a prime between 18 to 25mm, f1.2 to f1.8.

I always prefer to out my money into lenses, not the camera body.

OP
marshland_max
This is good stuff, I was wondering how it would stack up and I agree. One thing I definitely know is the 7d MKII I was using hardly left the truck and finally ended up in the house.

Let me ask you guys this question weatherproofing aside. Wouldn't a base model camera like the Canon M200 with the APS sensor and Digic 8 Processor take better pictures over all? Or will the lack of good Mirrorless lenses in the canon line render the sensor and processor less usable?

I also agree about less into the camera and more into the lenses. Just seems that a base model dslr might out perform but quickly could become useless if you over gear up?

So many rabbit holes here...

Last edited:

Wapiti1

WKR
Are you getting the 14-40? Good little lens.
I couldnt agree with this summary more. My Canon setup had grown and I was travelling with it in a Pelican case to keep it safe. It was becoming more hassle then fun.

The Olympus setup put the fun back in photography for me. I carry it on the shoulder strap of my packs, I dont worry about the weather anymore. Its helped to make photography fun again. So I bring my camera and I use it. Generally my photos are 95% of my Canon photos. The low light photos are probably 85-90% the quality. But I have the camera and I take the photo, so really, they are infinitely better then my Canon setup.

Great point. Having the camera with you makes all the difference. If it is a burden, you will leave it at home. Photo quality is zero if you never take the photo.

Jeremy

Wapiti1

WKR
This is good stuff, I was wondering how it would stack up and I agree. One thing I definitely know is the 7d MKII I was using hardly left the truck and finally ended up in the house.

Let me ask you guys this question weatherproofing aside. Wouldn't a base model camera like the Canon M200 with the APS sensor and Digic 8 Processor take better pictures over all? Or will the lack of good Mirrorless lenses in the canon line render the sensor and processor less usable?

I also agree about less into the camera and more into the lenses. Just seems that a base model dslr might out perform but quickly could become useless if you over gear up?

So many rabbit holes here...

M4/3 is equivalent to APS-C for all practical purposes (my opinion). I could only get "better" photos using full frame gear. Better is exceedingly subjective. My needs are different than others, but suffice to say I can print a poster size print from my Oly with no issues. I'm not going for commercial photo needs, so that is fine with me.

Part of the subjective nature is that Canon processes differently than Oly. That is all software related. All the processor does is speed it up. For JPEG: Oly colors are really good out of the camera, and sharpening is tolerable. Noise reduction is too strong at high ISO. Canon can oversaturate out of the camera, sharpening is good, and noise reduction is also too strong. If you just work with RAW, then neither does anything differently since you get exactly what the sensor saw with no processing.

The processor only affects speed. Better processor, faster shutter speeds, and shorter times to clear the memory (also called the buffer). The flagship speed cameras usually have 2 processors for this reason.

Lens wise, both systems offer great ranges. From a sharpness standpoint, Oly has better consumer level lenses, IMO. In terms of breadth, Canon wins. Mirrorless design or not, their mirrorless cameras work well with their legacy lenses. And no one will ever complain about the quality of an L series lens.

That said, you have Panasonic to pull from as well making the m4/3 system pretty complete. The only thing missing is good 3rd party support. Don't discount the Pana/Leica lenses. Between the two, you cover all the focal lengths from near to far, and most f stops. It's up to the photographer to fill in the blanks. All systems have that tenet.

We get all caught up on sharpness, and color rendition, etc. Any camera can take a great photo, even an Iphone.

Jeremy

OP
marshland_max
M4/3 is equivalent to APS-C for all practical purposes (my opinion). I could only get "better" photos using full frame gear. Better is exceedingly subjective. My needs are different than others, but suffice to say I can print a poster size print from my Oly with no issues. I'm not going for commercial photo needs, so that is fine with me.

Part of the subjective nature is that Canon processes differently than Oly. That is all software related. All the processor does is speed it up. For JPEG: Oly colors are really good out of the camera, and sharpening is tolerable. Noise reduction is too strong at high ISO. Canon can oversaturate out of the camera, sharpening is good, and noise reduction is also too strong. If you just work with RAW, then neither does anything differently since you get exactly what the sensor saw with no processing.

The processor only affects speed. Better processor, faster shutter speeds, and shorter times to clear the memory (also called the buffer). The flagship speed cameras usually have 2 processors for this reason.

Lens wise, both systems offer great ranges. From a sharpness standpoint, Oly has better consumer level lenses, IMO. In terms of breadth, Canon wins. Mirrorless design or not, their mirrorless cameras work well with their legacy lenses. And no one will ever complain about the quality of an L series lens.

That said, you have Panasonic to pull from as well making the m4/3 system pretty complete. The only thing missing is good 3rd party support. Don't discount the Pana/Leica lenses. Between the two, you cover all the focal lengths from near to far, and most f stops. It's up to the photographer to fill in the blanks. All systems have that tenet.

We get all caught up on sharpness, and color rendition, etc. Any camera can take a great photo, even an Iphone.

Jeremy

Thanks Jeremy! I think I'm in the right direction with this. I appreciate yours and the others input on this.

I m glad to hear your able to get good prints out of it. The camera seems to check all my boxes. I'm going to give it a couple of days see how it goes. I'm already thinking I need a small prime for my day hikes and travel.

What apps or programs will work well with this camera? I'm open to suggestions.

OP
marshland_max
Jeremy this is the lens its also weather sealed
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 II

Jeremy this is the lens its also weather sealed
Olympus M.Zuiko ED 14-150mm f4.0-5.6 II

I used this lens quite a bit a few years back and it’s a good “walk around lens”. A bit slow to focus but mandatory as a do everything lens if you have an Oly body. Nothing to write home about in terms of IQ - soft as a pillow at the long and short end. Good in the middle ranges.

OP
marshland_max
I used this lens quite a bit a few years back and it’s a good “walk around lens”. A bit slow to focus but mandatory as a do everything lens if you have an Oly body. Nothing to write home about in terms of IQ - soft as a pillow at the long and short end. Good in the middle ranges.

Thank You for that information. I definitely have my doubts about this Camera. I was going to go with a Canon DSLR one of the lower end models because I have lenses and I also have access to additional canon Lenses. I m probably over thinking it, but its on my mind.

i am also considering this camera. i like the size ,weight, and weather resistance . i have some concerns on the low light performances .Please give an up date once you have time to test.

OP
marshland_max
i am also considering this camera. i like the size ,weight, and weather resistance . i have some concerns on the low light performances .Please give an up date once you have time to test.

I def will. I m doing a lot of research and looking, It is on everyone top lists for a travel and very waterproof and rugged camera. I m still learning myself, but have some friends to help me along. Image quality is honesty way better than I even need. I m finding I over research a lot. When it comes down to it, if its not with you you don't get the picture, so worrying about the extra quality is a mute point. I m out in harsh weather a lot and find that's where I want to get most of my pics, so this might be a compromise and the 7 d MKII was way to big to carry with all my other stuff. After everyone's responses, I m going to shoot a 100 or so pics with this thing and run it through some apps and see what happens.

Thanks for your response. i also over research . I'm definitely still a novice. i have a lot of time off due to rain witch will afford me time in the field with camera. Looking forward to your response or anyone how like to do so.

OP
marshland_max
Thanks for your response. i also over research . I'm definitely still a novice. i have a lot of time off due to rain witch will afford me time in the field with camera. Looking forward to your response or anyone how like to do so.
Yeah the guys above really shed some light on this camera and lens. I think I will like the camera , I m thinking for the type of stuff I do I m going to want one of their Pro Primes or something similar. I'll have some answers by mid week I m sure of it.