Olympus EM5 IIs Opinions

PJG

WKR
the two lenses that i am currently using are the 12-40 2.8 pro and the 40-150 2.8 pro. I can really cover a large range with these two lenses. The one lens that i sold and have regretted selling was the 7-14 2.8, I really loved and miss that lens, I will be replacing it soon. I would also love to have the 300 4.0, but that one is out of my current budget.

OP
marshland_max
the two lenses that i am currently using are the 12-40 2.8 pro and the 40-150 2.8 pro. I can really cover a large range with these two lenses. The one lens that i sold and have regretted selling was the 7-14 2.8, I really loved and miss that lens, I will be replacing it soon. I would also love to have the 300 4.0, but that one is out of my current budget.

That 12-40 F2.8 is on my short list hows IQ?

OP
marshland_max

That is very nice indeed!

I was also looking at the 25mm F1.2 or F1.8 or the 17 mm F1.8 as well. I will have to check out the one you like in the 7-14 mm

That is very nice indeed!

I was also looking at the 25mm F1.2 or F1.8 or the 17 mm F1.8 as well. I will have to check out the one you like in the 7-14 mm

With an f2.8 zoom, I’d much prefer another step of light gathering with the 25mm or 17mm f1.2 - or perhaps the middle ground with the Panaleica f1.4. That way there’s no question when I’m using the zoom vs the prime. The 7-14mm is another one, probably mandatory for nature shots.

Don’t forget the 400mm pro - my favorite wildlife lens for any system.

OP
marshland_max
With an f2.8 zoom, I’d much prefer another step of light gathering with the 25mm or 17mm f1.2 - or perhaps the middle ground with the Panaleica f1.4. That way there’s no question when I’m using the zoom vs the prime. The 7-14mm is another one, probably mandatory for nature shots.

Don’t forget the 400mm pro - my favorite wildlife lens for any system.

I have no idea what I would even call the style I'm interested in other than "street photography" I guess that's what it is only in the outdoors not just travel. Capturing landscape is another. Probably why I've be focusing on the smaller primes so much and the smaller telephotos

I have no idea what I would even call the style I'm interested in other than "street photography" I guess that's what it is only in the outdoors not just travel. Capturing landscape is another. Probably why I've be focusing on the smaller primes so much and the smaller telephotos

Yes for the sake of size then yes, those little ones are pocketable make sense.

I hesitantly might offer the 12-200 better for a general purpose complement to smaller primes as well.

Not like the 12-40 is small to begin with.

Wapiti1

WKR
The 17mm F1.8 is a superb lens. The 12-40 F2.8 is also great. I had the 14-150 II and as a general travel lens it is hard to beat. It does get a little soft over 100mm, but its usable. I moved to an old Pana/Lieca 14-150 made for the larger 4/3 cameras and use an adapter with it. On the EM5, autofocus is sluggish with a lot of hunting, on the EM1 II, it works well. It is a very sharp lens for its focal length, but it is large.

My lens lineup is the 17 F1.8, 12-40 F2.8, 14-150 Leica, 100-400 Leica, 300mm F4 Oly, and 1.4X teleconverter. I've used the 14-150 (1 and 2), 12-100 F4, 40-150 F2.8, and 75-300 (great lens for the money). These were either upgraded, or just didn't fill a need for me.

The 12-200 looks promising as a travel zoom. I've not used it, or even seen one.

Generally speaking, you can get great photos from all of their lenses. The body cap lens is the only one that I think is just junk.

Jeremy

OP
marshland_max
Does everyone agree that the 17 mm or 25 mm is perhaps the most suitable lens for my needs maximising the AF and low light capabilities of the 5M Ii ?

OP
marshland_max
Well I have the camera in my hand and I can tell you this that the size is perfect. I did about 6 photos just to see on auto in the house and noticed the iso going right to 1600 with the f4 kit lens. Didn't use any flash. And I left it on auto. Hardly a fair trail. Once I get a fully charged battery and look through the manual I'll know more. This thing is screaming for a 17mm or 25 mm lens. It would be incredibly compact.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I have had the Em5 Mk 11 for a couple years now and absolutely love it. I had a Canon 30d with a couple L zoom lenses before, but am very happy with the switch. Its a great size and quite rugged, which I really appreciate as I am out in the bush a lot. My wife also uses it alot around the house. I skipped all the zooms and just put a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 on it, and could not be more satisfied. The lense is super sharp, and the bokeh is wonderful. I rarely wish I had any more lenses than this one, it just works so well. I do have a "wide angle" rokinon 12mm lense which is quite good as well, but I rarely put it on, as I take more action shots and people shots than landscape. Between these two lenses though, I feel I have most stuff covered. Maybe a Panasonic 45mm 1.2 would be a sweet addition haha

OP
marshland_max
I have had the Em5 Mk 11 for a couple years now and absolutely love it. I had a Canon 30d with a couple L zoom lenses before, but am very happy with the switch. Its a great size and quite rugged, which I really appreciate as I am out in the bush a lot. My wife also uses it alot around the house. I skipped all the zooms and just put a Panasonic 25mm 1.4 on it, and could not be more satisfied. The lense is super sharp, and the bokeh is wonderful. I rarely wish I had any more lenses than this one, it just works so well. I do have a "wide angle" rokinon 12mm lense which is quite good as well, but I rarely put it on, as I take more action shots and people shots than landscape. Between these two lenses though, I feel I have most stuff covered. Maybe a Panasonic 45mm 1.2 would be a sweet addition haha

Thanks Matt! Yeah I m did some shooting last night and this camera screams for a prime. I think 95% of all AF and Low light stuff will be a non issue with a prime and getting the settings correct. I noticed right away just in the auto feature it wanted to go to a higher iso like 1600. I really want a lens that I can make great pics at the 200-800 iso range. I m going to try and do some stuff with it today.

OP
marshland_max
Well decision made, Olympus 25 mm f/1.2 pro on its way. Gives me a fixed 50 mm equivalent and I'm pretty sure this will be th ed best move.

OP
marshland_max
So my 2 lens Kit will consist of the 14-150 mm F/4 II Premium and the 25 mm F/1.2 Pro.......

Guess I m committed hahaha

OP
marshland_max
Took these this evening! Really liking the camera.

Attachments

• received_465435854346542.jpeg
    received_465435854346542.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 39

Clinch

Lil-Rokslider
I have the em5ii for bumping around and the em1ii for when I am more serious. I have more fun with the em5ii because of the size. The 14-150ii is a good lens fit for the 5 and the fact that it is weather sealed. Most of the time I have the 25mm 1.8 on it. I love the focal length for general shooting. Mostly my kids. I have the 25 and 45 mm pro lenses, and they are great, but feel oversized on the 5. I prefer the 1.8 primes on the 5 and the pro lenses on the 1. I wish Oly would come out with weather sealed versions of the 1.8s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
marshland_max
I'm probably going to pick up one of those small 1.8 lenses just for travel. I wanted the 25 mm for tripod stuff out in the field. My plan is to use the 14-150 as a knock around everyday lens

For anybody that will be in all kinds of weather and wants a light weight system that will hold up, the Olympus E-M5 has no competition right now. There is no camera under $1000 with the following
*Weatherproof body and lens (14-150)
* Comes with one of the best, sharpest lenses on the market, not a typical $150 "kit" lens, 14-150mm
*5 Axis Image stabilization built in
*Zuiko lenses by Olympus are what built their great reputation over 50 years ago
*Large selection of lenses for any situation

We are adding within the next week, the complete line of Laowa lenses. They have an amazing 4mm fisheye lens for Olympus for under $200, not a miss print. They have a lot of lenses available in all the popular mounts.

Feel free to e-mail or call me with any questions

Joel
516-217-1000

I love my Olympus Em 5 Mk 2
With a 12-40 f2.8 for trophy shots and landscapes.
And a 70-300mm for game photography

A super lightweight setup too, compared to a full size equivalent 600mm lens kit.
And it's weather proof.