On being a flake

I have a buddy who will help pack anything out, and we get shit done together. But we rarely hunt together. We both like hunting alone, but are willing to drop whatever to help each other.

We packed a bull out of a ****** up place on Tuesday. It was dangerous as ****. Fun as hell.

Another buddy who always wants everything easy texted me asking why he didn't get a text to help.
I didn't want to say "because you wouldn't have been able to to actually do it."
But that's the truth with a lot of people. 90% of people will not be capable of of carrying bulls out of shit holes. They can flake. That's how you find out who's serious.
I'm not trying to baby sit. I'm trying to kill shit.

I’ve gone through this for years finding fishing mates for tuna fishing. I can’t count how many times I say I’m leaving with or without you at 4am, 405 rolls around I push off the dock and get a call at 430 asking where my boat is And I say on the way out to fish.
I found a kid this year that shows up before me every time, he helps work on the boat when I ask and the last time I went with him everything was all laid out on the dock ice food rods all I had to do was pull the boat around. I usually only hunt alone but the last trip I asked if he wanted to get into hunting Because of how reliable he is. Between kids work houses etc. when I make plans to hunt or fish and plan to meet at a certain time for someone else now to show up on time it’s absolutely infuriating.

My Dad blamed the Hippies and the Beatles for everything bad. His Dad blamed Elvis. LOL. I will go along with you on the mobile phone culture.
It's now on the record that the whole of 1960's counter culture came out of the CIA.

As did mobile phone tech.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I found a kid this year that shows up before me every time, he helps work on the boat when I ask and the last time I went with him everything was all laid out on the dock ice food rods all I had to do was pull the boat around. I usually only hunt alone but the last trip I asked if he wanted to get into hunting Because of how reliable he is. Between kids work houses etc. when I make plans to hunt or fish and plan to meet at a certain time for someone else now to show up on time it’s absolutely infuriating.
No matter what, this kid will do just fine in life. Hats off to his parents or whoever raised him.

90% of his peers are going to have a tough time in life thinking they are owed something just because they exist.

Eddie

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of hare and rabbit hunting with beagles. I have some people that go with me on and off. I always let people know that I am hunting and what time I am leaving. If they are at my place when I leave, they go with. Otherwise I still head out. I'd say 75% of the time I go alone, but I really don't care. Offer is on the table that I am going.....hop in or stay home. I'm still going hunting.

In the 70s I scouted the drainages, set up camp, packed hay, cut trails, and packed the meat my friends killed. In 75, I finally killed a little bull and called my friends to help. No one had the time. Nor did they have time to set up or tear down camp. I decided that my choices were 1) find new friends, 2) outfit or 3) figure out how to do it alone.

I got a horse and hunted with my dad, then found one guy I could depend on, raised a couple kids. Kids are gone as is my dad. One partner was killed and I get a couple weeks out of my long time partner. After 59 years, I'm back to hunting by myself. All I can say is get used to it. Partners are rare. Treasure the time you have with a good one. Don't waste your time on mooches.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
In the 70s I scouted the drainages, set up camp, packed hay, cut trails, and packed the meat my friends killed. In 75, I finally killed a little bull and called my friends to help. No one had the time. Nor did they have time to set up or tear down camp. I decided that my choices were 1) find new friends, 2) outfit or 3) figure out how to do it alone.

I got a horse and hunted with my dad, then found one guy I could depend on, raised a couple kids. Kids are gone as is my dad. One partner was killed and I get a couple weeks out of my long time partner. After 59 years, I'm back to hunting by myself. All I can say is get used to it. Partners are rare. Treasure the time you have with a good one. Don't waste your time on mooches.
I think I know your exfriends, or so it seems.

Mojave

WKR
A guy's wife will really make a piss poor liar out of a guy if she or the kids has an issue and you need to adjust your dates or leave early.

I was single until I was 35, I am happily married but if she leaves or something worse, I won't replace her. Nothing will impact a guy's hunting like being tied down by wife and family.

I will honestly admit I am an absolute shit hunting partner. I have some health problems, but am mobile. I Have 3 kids at home and 3 grand kids at my daughters. I don't need a reason to have a reason to screw someone else as a hunting partner. It's just life.

My dad is 83, he is a bad partner. My uncle is in his 70's he's a great partner, and lives in Wyoming. I think I get on his nerves pretty good, or I'd seek him out more.

I have two other hunting pals, but both of them make twice as much money as me and one has grown kids and the other has no kids. One is currently in the Yukon, the other is on his way to Austria. Trips I won't be going on anytime soon. We are hunting Wyoming together next year, and going to Safari Club together in the Spring.

dutch_henry

Lil-Rokslider
Sadly, it's everywhere. Not just hunting.

I call it option theory. People purposely overbook and over-commit, just to create a book of options for themselves. Then, in the end, they simply pick whichever event appeals to them the most. It doesn't matter if you're inconvenienced, or screwed, or pissed off. Because it's not about you, it's about them. You're just an accessory to their lifestyle.

If it happens once, I get it. I'll grumble but forgive. Life gets complicated for all us, we don't always know the full story. When it happens repeatedly, I'll confess that I find myself less vested in the friendship. Sometimes its better to be acquaintances than friends.

jayhawk

WKR
Every once in awhile I find someone who wants to go hunting . . . then they find out you have to get up at 0400 and actually go work for it. No longer interested and I go alone.

KBC

WKR
I've had some pretty comical things go down that resulted in not hunting with people so many times, or trips getting cut short that now I just go by myself. I would love to have a great friend/hunting partner to go with though but sadly I'm pretty much a loner.
Well it’s a year later and I’m still a loner. Just finished making a late dinner and sitting at camp by myself again so I opened up rokslide and had a new like on the post above from a year ago.
This is my second trip out this year and to be honest I’m in a rough spot this year and my heart just isn’t in it. Family, work and a few other things have been tough this year and even hunting isn’t getting my mind off of it. I keep telling myself that the only way out is to keep pushing through.
Anyways, not looking for sympathy, sometimes it’s just nice to get things off your chest.

CorbLand

WKR
Well it’s a year later and I’m still a loner. Just finished making a late dinner and sitting at camp by myself again so I opened up rokslide and had a new like on the post above from a year ago.
This is my second trip out this year and to be honest I’m in a rough spot this year and my heart just isn’t in it. Family, work and a few other things have been tough this year and even hunting isn’t getting my mind off of it. I keep telling myself that the only way out is to keep pushing through.
Anyways, not looking for sympathy, sometimes it’s just nice to get things off your chest.
I can relate man. Have always had a decent group of people to go with but the last two years I have been a loner and I don’t like it. Been bailed on, uninvited, literally once got invited and then they left without me.(no I wasn’t late) It’s hard and like you, my heart isn’t in it. It’s been rough and has broken me down to levels I have never felt. Only common denominator in all of it is me, so maybe one day I will figure out what I do wrong.

Wish I had some motivating thing to tell you but all I can say is I feel for you.

KBC

WKR
I can relate man. Have always had a decent group of people to go with but the last two years I have been a loner and I don’t like it. Been bailed on, uninvited, literally once got invited and then they left without me.(no I wasn’t late) It’s hard and like you, my heart isn’t in it. It’s been rough and has broken me down to levels I have never felt. Only common denominator in all of it is me, so maybe one day I will figure out what I do wrong.

Wish I had some motivating thing to tell you but all I can say is I feel for you.
I typed and deleted a few times a pretty similar line about me being the common denominator as well.
The line I keep thinking about is “If you’re going through hell, keep going.” I wish I could remember where I heard that. I’m just going to have to be a better man. Gonna have to live up to the WKR title I have.

Yoder

WKR
What I've noticed is any time the tiniest bit of conflict exists a lot of people just don't respond. Especially people under 30. If they have to say no or answer a question that they know you might not like the answer. What's frustrating is you know they have their phone in their hand ALL the time.