On game results with 185 Berger Classic Hunter?

mcseal2

WKR
I just came in from trying these through my Rifles Inc 300 win mag. Results were very promising, I shot 3 groups 3 shots each at 100 yards. I let the barrel cool between groups. 8 of the 9 shots would have gone under 1/2", the ninth still stayed under 1". The odd shot was my fault. I put the Magnetospeed chronograph on the barrel and shot another 6 that hit an inch lower but also stayed under 3/4". Average speed for the 6 was 3058fps from my 23" barrel with only 12fps difference between the fastest and slowest.

My rifle does not seem to like heavier bullets. It shoots great with 180's but 200's opened up to 1" to 1.5" when I tried ELD-X and Accubonds.

Best part for me was that I did not have to change my zero from the 180gr Nosler E tips I have been shooting. I really like this since it lets me choose between the tough bullet and rapid expansion bullet using an MOA turret and picking the correct favorite on my ballistics app. I really like that option in bear country.

Has anyone taken game with the 185 Berger? If so please give specifics on range, animal, shot angle, and performance. I'm wanting to know how they kill before buying more and continuing my experimenting at longer range.

Thanks for your help.

I just came in from trying these through my Rifles Inc 300 win mag. Results were very promising, I shot 3 groups 3 shots each at 100 yards. I let the barrel cool between groups. 8 of the 9 shots would have gone under 1/2", the ninth still stayed under 1". The odd shot was my fault. I put the Magnetospeed chronograph on the barrel and shot another 6 that hit an inch lower but also stayed under 3/4". Average speed for the 6 was 3058fps from my 23" barrel with only 12fps difference between the fastest and slowest.

My rifle does not seem to like heavier bullets. It shoots great with 180's but 200's opened up to 1" to 1.5" when I tried ELD-X and Accubonds.

Best part for me was that I did not have to change my zero from the 180gr Nosler E tips I have been shooting. I really like this since it lets me choose between the tough bullet and rapid expansion bullet using an MOA turret and picking the correct favorite on my ballistics app. I really like that option in bear country.

Has anyone taken game with the 185 Berger? If so please give specifics on range, animal, shot angle, and performance. I'm wanting to know how they kill before buying more and continuing my experimenting at longer range.

Thanks for your help.
3058 for 185's ? that's great velocities too !

BJP

FNG
I run em 3085 fps in a wsm shot a caribou last week in nwt at 512 yards lung shot kinda high he dropped at shot and rolled down the mountain, complete pass through exit was golf ball size or bigger. I was impressed.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks guys. I talked to my gunsmith and his son shoots them on whitetail from a long barreled 300 at 3150fps. He has been very happy with the performance.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
mcseal,

They work great. Performance is about like all Berger VLD’s- 2-3 inches of penetration then the nose collapses and they fragment violently. On regular sized deer/antelopes insides will be soup, exits will be 3-6” in diameter. Any bone on the exit side will cause a mess. On big deer and elk same as above but you may not get an exit on large animals if you hit bone.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. I've used 87, 95, and 140gr Bergers in other guns before. I figured it would be the same but wanted to ask.

brushape

WKR
I shot a small blacktail at about 150 with a massive hole through and through the ribs and a very big boar from about 20 yards in some tall grass. He took three shots but the bullet did a ton of damage, none passed through from what I remember. That was from a 30-06 at about 2650 i think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk