On the ground, on the pack, into the truck ... then what?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
You got 270lbs of ground?!? The one I helped pack out the other day he said was about 400lbs on the bone quarters, and straps other loose meat.

I discovered that moose quarters are huge and very big-boned......even the fronts weigh more than a good sized bull elk's rears. I ground most of it except for the tenderloin, back strap, and a few roasts. I tested some meat the other night that I cooked rare, and it was still tough. So.......burger is versatile and easy to use and we use it a lot.

OP
Z

Zvestal

FNG
I discovered that moose quarters are huge and very big-boned......even the fronts weigh more than a good sized bull elk's rears. I ground most of it except for the tenderloin, back strap, and a few roasts. I tested some meat the other night that I cooked rare, and it was still tough. So.......burger is versatile and easy to use and we use it a lot.
I don't know about you all but in 4 seasons in the field, I have had more moose encounters than elk ... good to know how huge they actually are for if/when I finally draw.

AKBorn

WKR
I spent the last two days processing my moose. Had him home Sunday evening in coolers and then started on Tuesday. Finished grinding ~270lbs yesterday evening. I just grind it right into ziplock freezer bags, smoosh it down, push all the air out, and zip them. They stack well in the freezer and they last for quite some time. I do the same for roasts and backstrap.....ziplock and push the air out. As a side note, I've never seen so much fat on an animal. It was 2" thick in places. Had to remove that just to find the backstraps while breaking him down.....crazy.

Congrats! Hope you post a story and pics in the moose subforum. I shot a caribou in AK last Fall (2019) and cut a hunk of fat off one hindquarter that was 4" thick, and I guessed the weight between 6 and 9 pounds! Fattest bou I have ever shot, that guy was ready for winter.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Usually take it to a freezer truck to have processed. Want to try processing my own this year though.

If you guys have dirt or fly eggs on your meat how do you clean that off, and how soon?

Cut it off and throw it away. When you're trimming it up you should remove anything that looks suspect. Better care in the field and better game bags helps avoid dirt and fly eggs.