On the hunt for a sleeping pad...

I alternate between sleeping on my back and both of my sides throughout the night. I previously used an Alpz Mountaineering self inflating pad. It was decent, but large and heavy. I switched this year to a Paria Recharge UL which is 2.5" thick. I never had a problem with my hips contacting the ground, and I slept with it partially deflated to help it conform to my body a bit. But it sucked. Every night I was sore. I couldn't lay in one position for more than 45 minutes before I would have to turn over to alleviate the pain. I tried a friends Klymit insulated ultralight this past week and it was a bit better. All of this to say, what direction should I be looking for an insulated pad?

Mudd Foot

WKR
Love my BA Q-Core SLX 78x25. Also use 2 Inflatable pillows. One under my head the other under knees or between them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also use the Big Agnes Q-core. 3.5 inches is great for supporting my 250 pounds. I am also a side sleeper.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I just recieved my exped winter downmat. I have been using the exped 5 mat a few years with good results. My new winter downmat was purchased for just that, winter camping. Like mudfoot said, pillows make a huge difference in sleep quality. And, fight the urge to fill up whatever mat you buy. I fill mine firm and then lay on it, letting air out to get it just right. Usually about half to 2/3s inflated.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I have tried a lot of pads through the years and the sweet spot for me in the situation you describe (assuming you are backpacking) is the largest Exped Downmat 9. It is warm, quiet, big and comfortable. It isn't light but I have been willing to pay the weight penalty in return for a warm, quiet, big and comfortable backpackable sleeping pad.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
Love my BA Q-Core SLX 78x25. Also use 2 Inflatable pillows. One under my head the other under knees or between them.

Sent from my iPhone using
Are you a fan of pillows between/under the knees all the time? Or is it mostly when sleeping backcountry on a mat because of some relief it gives you?

Umpcoos

FNG
Sea to summit ether lite or, if you dont mind the extra weight, the comfort plus.

Exped is awesome. For pillows, the “Free” offer from Outdoor Vitals is great. The pillow also makes a great glassing pad. Yes, it’s that durable.

2ski

WKR
Since I see it asked about for mule deer, whitetails, antelope and elk.......

Whats the best caliber of gun to use to hunt for a sleeping pad?

*zap*

WKR
First you need r value, be warm/stay warm/sleep sound.

Anything with r-6 or better will have enough depth to be comfortable. Then there is weight, you may not want to worry too much about that if it means sacrificing on the r-value. Then I think that if people want to be able to sleep well when they are camped out and if that is not really very often (like a few trips a year max) they need to make an effort to spend some nights (at least one) every week sleeping on a pad and in a bag on the floor. May take a while to get used to it but if your not used to it before you need to camp out no pad is going to work like magic and get you used to sleeping in that manner in a day.

Mudd Foot

WKR
Forgot to mention that walking 7-8 miles a day at 10-12,000 ft in addition to the two pillows helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using a Exped Down mat for a long time but have been getting pretty sore in the hips and looking for something thicker or that has more support...

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
i switched to a therm-a-rest xtherm this year and it worked out really well for me.. get the long/wide version even if you dont really need it. its nice having the extra room

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Sea to Summit Comfort Light insulated...perfect blend of comfort, lightweight, and packability. Ultimate comfort would be the comfort plus. The comfort light has a R rating of 3.7 which is pretty good for the weight. If I want to use it in cold weather I use a 1/8" EVA foam pad between the pad and the ground to give me the extra protection from frozen ground. The foam pad weighs like 2oz and is also my sit pad, napping pad and can be my gear pad/dressing pad to place my feet on the ground outside my vestibule.

Sea to summit comfort plus is the most comfortable sleeping pad i have had the pleasure of using. Not ultra light but worth the few extra ounces. Im 6'6" and use the long version. Would highly recommend.