On the way to the Park...

Saturday is the first rondy shoot if the year for me... The plan was to take the trusty 50 cal Renegade out to the Rock Pit to check point of impact and then to drive out to the Park Breaks area. I recently have received permission to hunt a on a 120 acres of private land. It might be an ideal piece as it borders up next to Potlatch lands on top of a key ridge.

This is a map of the parcel of land. I am inclined to believe it could be a very good hunting area.

Smith120Mag.jpg

When I got to the road to the Rock Pit the road was still clogged with snow and I really did not want to get stuck again (the snow is really rotten right now)... break out the chains and put a set on the front wheels... So! I chickened out and decided to go look at this new hunting area.

It was an eventfull trip anyway... Got back into the back country just prior to the Park Plateau and the Breaks and ran into a loan moose doing here thing - eating...

ParkBreakspg1.jpg

Well this made the trip almost worth while I really enjoy watching animals anyway, so getting pictures and watching was fun...

When I finally reach the Plateau area I go another treat...

ParkBreakspg2.jpg

I finally got to the property but the road was covered with snow and it is not surfaced so I passed on driving up to the old homestead. Did not want to make the raod any worse than it already was.

I was disappointed that I did get to see and elk. They should have been out and about also. They may have been down on the bottom of the Breaks along the river. The south facing slopes would probably be alive with feed for them.

It was a good day! even though I did not get to shoot - I will take care of that tomorrow at the 'Farm"

Last edited:

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Love it!
and new hunting area almost scouted 7 months in advance.

I went to U of I in Moscow for two years. I literally had to transfer to south Idaho (ISU) in part because there was so much outdoor stuff going on around Moscow, I couldn't concentrate on school: Steelhead, Turkeys, Whitetails, Muleys, Elk, bird hunting galore. It is a great place to live.

Thanks for sharing, brings back good memories.

2rocky

WKR
SL- That photo reminds me of some property I used to hunt Between Deary and Troy while at U of I in the 90's. Then it was a cattle ranch. The deer were down in the River Breaks and would come up to the pastures and fields at dark. Hunting whitetails during Thanksgiving break was always fun for a California boy used to hunting blacktails in August!

I never tagged an elk then but I saw them across the canyon. I believe if you could get out during archery season you could get a bull to answer.

Great memories of that country.

OP
sabotloader
Love it!
and new hunting area almost scouted 7 months in advance.

I went to U of I in Moscow for two years. I literally had to transfer to south Idaho (ISU) in part because there was so much outdoor stuff going on around Moscow, I couldn't concentrate on school: Steelhead, Turkeys, Whitetails, Muleys, Elk, bird hunting galore. It is a great place to live.

Thanks for sharing, brings back good memories.

And way back in history - I came up from Boise to UI so i could get to the hunting up here...

OP
sabotloader
SL- That photo reminds me of some property I used to hunt Between Deary and Troy while at U of I in the 90's. Then it was a cattle ranch. The deer were down in the River Breaks and would come up to the pastures and fields at dark. Hunting whitetails during Thanksgiving break was always fun for a California boy used to hunting blacktails in August!

I never tagged an elk then but I saw them across the canyon. I believe if you could get out during archery season you could get a bull to answer.

Great memories of that country.

Sounds like you know the area... Today it is the Park Ranch and they control most of the plateau lands.

We have taken more than a couple of elk from this area... Unfortunately along with all the other animals in the area - wolves have also moved in... dang them! Somebody forgot to tell them they re-introduction wolves and they were suppose to stay in their designated areas!!!;)