On x Hunt App

PiTaLin

FNG
Have you used the On X Hunt app and is it worth it? How does it compare to physical scouting of properties?

Baller

FNG
Nothing replaces boots on the ground. Having said that it is a tool for the toolbox. It does give you useful information before stepping those boots on the ground. I use it a lot..

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
Yeah, same as above. Can’t replace boots on the ground but it can help guide where to start putting your boots on the ground. I also like adding waypoints to track what I’m seeing and lastly I love being able to quickly pull landowner info and add layers.

I'm a fan of it. It's nice to mark way points of places I've been. I also look for spots in the off season to check out and mark those on my tablet. Then open my phone and they are all there. Plus it's easy to share with your hunting buddies. I also like the offline imagery feature. For years I used their chip with a GPS but only leave that in Camp as a backup or if someone else needs it. Prefer the app hands down.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

11boo

WKR
Useful for sure. Mine has worked well for a few years, but after the last update I’ll go with a competitor.

Yoder

WKR
I've been using it for about 3-4 yrs for whitetail hunting. I think it is extremely valuable. E scouting narrows down the areas to check and saves time. Especially in hill country. All the icons are great and I use a different color each year. It's cool to have historical data to look at. I know it has made me a more effective hunter.

Hudsy

FNG
I use onX a ton to get an idea of where I want to scout. If I go in blindly, I’ll pick a spot as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

PiTaLin

FNG
Thanks guys!
I tried it for the first time this past weekend and I have to admit I was super skeptical but it proved me wrong. I didn’t get a kill but I saw deer moving and that alone pays for the app.

bmrfish

WKR
Priceless if you are hunting around a mix of public private

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love it. I live around a lot of small public parcels surrounded by private. I want to make sure I’m not crossing any lines.

kjklump

FNG
I use it , used hunt stand as well. You can zoom in a little closer with hunt stand but you save to save individual layers to have that offline map so I went back to on x

Dented

WKR
I agree with Badger, I use it for property info when I'm places that I don't normally hunt. I value my privacy, and I don't like to intrude on others including trespassing. For property line locations it's certainly beneficial.

73 Wood

FNG
I use it to e-scout, but they are slow at updating their backgrounds. I'll see a nice open area on Onx and find that it's overgrown in reality. Now that I know that, I'll open up Google maps (with more up-to-date images) and Onx and use it to start. Like others mentioned - nothing replaces boots on the ground. Use OnX to e-scout and track your steps, check elevation, etc. I've been an OnX subscriber for many years.

I also dirtbike in the Eastern Washington "wilderness" and OnX helps there too! Trails are pretty accurate and you can toggle the trail slope (shows up in OnX as red, yellow, green), which lets you know if you're coming up to a tricky section.

It’s useful to reflect on tracks and waypoints. i use it in conjunction with FLAT LINE maps.

on game day I use it as a GPS on my iPhone. Eliminated my need to carry a GPS Device. For $25 a year or whatever it is now it’s worth it.

godwinmt

FNG
I like to use it for quite a bit. I often hunt with my wife and father in law on a property, and it makes it really easy to communicate where things are, where I see deer, and where they're headed. We'll use it as well for sharing waypoints between us, i.e. if I hang a new stand the father in law needs to sit that evening, or if I come across a new scrape line.

On public land I may have only scouted once before, it's great to mark prospective stand locations so I can find the tree again in the dark.

We use it quite a bit when blood trailing too, especially on questionable shots to mark first or last blood to resume the trail in the daylight, or to just record and see where the track has been, and where they're headed.

Sharing waypoints has definitely been the most useful though, which works best when buddies are using it too, so if you find yourself doing that, use whatever software they're using (onX, GoHunt, Huntstand etc.)