Once In A Lifetime New Mexico Oryx.

I just applied for the first time for the OIL so I have my fingers crossed. Did they let you camp on range ? I actually haven’t thought about that aspect of it.

Mojave

WKR
I believe a NM governor in the 1940's got the ball rolling after a trip to Africa and the introduction program went from 1969-77.
They vastly underestimated their reproductive capabilities and the effectiveness of the predators here.

Edit: It wasn't a Governor it was Dr. Hibben. Chairman of the state game commission at the time.
He was a early Weatherby Award Winner, and was friends with the Shah of Iran and other noteworthy hunters of that era.

He was responsible for all 5 original exotic introductions; gemsbok oryx, kudu, Persian Ibex and Siberian Ibex. The kudu and Siberian ibex did not make it.

The aoudad are thought to have come through introductions in West Texas and the Texas pandhandle.

The Shah originally gave New Mexico red sheep and Armenian mouflon as well. But New Mexico Woolgrowers argued that they could cause problem for domestic sheep. Those Armenians and Red Sheep ended up on one time Govenor Clayton Williams ranch near Alpine.

Mojave

WKR
If anyone draws a tag contact me, and I'll give you some pointers. I work and live on WSMR.