Once In A Lifetime New Mexico Oryx.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPD350

WKR
First congrats on drawing a tag, 2nd congrats on tagging a nice bull, awesome!

Going on a friends Red canyon hunt at the end of this month, I haven't been in that area yet it should be fun! I just wish I could get my own OIL tag, been trying for many years, Lol I want to be happy for myself...

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR

Going on a friends Red canyon hunt at the end of this month, I haven't been in that area yet it should be fun! I just wish I could get my own OIL tag, been trying for many years, Lol I want to be happy for myself...
I want to be happy for you too brother.
:)
So much fun.
You guys should do good.
I can't remember if its Rhodes or Red (maybe both), but a guide friend of mine recommended putting a 6' step ladder in the back of the tuck to get a little better view otherwise you're always searching for high spots to glass and so is everyone else.

I drew the same hunt. Can't wait.

Nice!
Good luck man.
Thanks amigo. In your experience was it easy to tell the difference between the mature animals and the smaller young oryx? I read the biologist's email's and review the photos on a daily basis, but I'm still worried about shooting a young one. I have the same goal as you did - I want to shoot a large body animal, not as concerned with horn length.

OP
Doghed

Doghed

WKR
If you are looking at a big group all standing pretty close together then the size difference is obvious, but if your eyes aren't trained yet and you see one standing alone it might be harder.

I was lucky that the first group I laid eyes on was a couple dozen animals and it was clear that there were some very big bulls present. The largest was actively mounting a female and wasn't presenting a shot so I opted for the second or third largest in the group.

I will add that my spotters have been on numerous on- and off-range oryx hunts so they knew exactly what they were looking at which helped keep me focused in the heat of the moment.

Last edited:

JPD350

WKR
I actually went on a hunt that the hunter whacked a small bull, long story short is that he didn't give the spotters a chance to even glass the animal. We saw some oryx go in a little canyon so we snuck in to see if there was any that were mature and when we peaked over the hill he just pulled up and shot one before anyone could speak. When we all walked up to the oryx no one said a word, the hunter finally said, he's kinda small......ever since then that walk up moment has been a good laugh.

It's not hard to tell the difference of a big one, you just gotta stay calm and let a non shooter to confirm the target.
I totally agree with Doghed that the singles are the hardest to judge, especially if they are looking at you head on.

Status
Not open for further replies.