One and Done?

cnelk

WKR
Its been mentioned many times that once you hunt elk one time, you'll do it again.

My question is...
Has anyone went 'One and Done'?

jaypope

Lil-Rokslider
Would be shocked if anyone only goes elk hunting 1 time. Beyond injury or death I don’t see it happening.

I’m going on my 2nd elk hunt this September pending MT draw. I went solo in 2017 but I found a partner this time.

Is it September yet?!?!?!?!?

W1bowo

Lil-Rokslider
Would be shocked if anyone only goes elk hunting 1 time. Beyond injury or death I don’t see it happening.

I’m going on my 2nd elk hunt this September pending MT draw. I went solo in 2017 but I found a partner this time.

Is it September yet?!?!?!?!?
+1
d.png

BB.jpg

87TT

WKR
I hunted elk once in the 80's and didn't take it up again until 2016. So a 40 year gap?

Pigdog

Lil-Rokslider
Nope! Once I was introduced to elk hunting I pretty much withdrew from as much of the rest of the world as possible. Quit bird hunting, quit fishing. Now it’s just family time, as little time at work as possible and elk scouting or hunting.

Its been mentioned many times that once you hunt elk one time, you'll do it again.

My question is...
Has anyone went 'One and Done'?
My cousin (from Michigan - whitetail guy) came out to CO for a rifle hunt. Killed a bull in 3rd season and has no real desire to elk hunt anymore. He said he'll continue to put in for points in WY, and maybe apply in NM, but does not have any plans to come back strictly for elk. Mule deer on the other hand.... he can't get enough of them.

That's the closest I've seen to a one and done.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My daughter shot her bull in 2017 on her first elk hunt.......only time will tell whether she hunts again. She's in college now so definitely won't be hunting for a few years at least.

Rob5589

WKR
Tried 3 seasons but no kills. Probably won't go again until I have a reliable partner.

My wife shot a 6 point with her dad when she was younger, hasn't went elk hunting since. That being said, she absolutely loves the mountains, trail running, hiking, etc. which she got that passion from her elk hunt so not sure she counts but closest thing I can think of.

I grew up in the midwest whitetails woods but if I had to choose 1 animal to hunt it would surely be elk.

rayporter

WKR
me stepson went with me and killed a nice bull and has not been back. no vacation and heath issues mainly keep him away or he would have.

me? when i looked out over that valley the first time i was hooked in the first five minutes.

I know a few who went and decided it was a little too much for them. I think diy on public can be pretty daunting, you know, where it can be a success to just see elk.

It's a challenge for me, I dont know if I'm much further along then I started 3 years ago. Public land elk hunting is not easy like owning your own ground deer hunt. I'm addicted and so is my twin brother. Were invested now!!

Chordeiles

Lil-Rokslider
Went once, about nine years ago. Haven’t really had the urge to go again.
Probably would be different if I had actually SEEN an elk on that trip.

At 48 years old, between hunting Mule deer and mountain Whitetails, I’m good.