One and Done?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
me? when i looked out over that valley the first time i was hooked in the first five minutes.

Yep. Even if I wasn't hunting, I'm still going to be in elk country in September. Nothing like it. My dad wasn't much of a hunter, but every Fall we'd take our fly fishing trip up to WY and MT and I'd hear those bulls screaming back and forth half the night while camping. Even when I was 4, I knew what I'd be hunting some day.100_4039.JPG

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've had pretty good luck elk hunting, but it's no where near my favorite thing to do. I can see why people successful or not don't lose sleep over not hunting them again.

For me, it's September, chance to put some meat in the freezer and not much else going on.

Different strokes for different folks I guess. I've had pretty good luck elk hunting, but it's no where near my favorite thing to do. I can see why people successful or not don't lose sleep over not hunting them again.

For me, it's September, chance to put some meat in the freezer and not much else going on.

Heretic! Get him!

Trr15

WKR

Different strokes for sure...elk hunting is by far my favorite pursuit. It probably sounds silly, but I honestly don’t think there has been a single day in the past 10+ years where I didn’t think about chasing elk, even when I’m hunting other species. Being physically able to hunt hard for elk is the reason I keep myself in shape year round. I hit the gym in January with the thought of hunting elk in September in my mind. I enjoy everything about it and the fact that my kids love elk meat is an additional motivator. I love the fact that I feed my family with animals I carry off the mountain on my back. I hunt solo and packing an elk is a lot more work than packing out anything else I hunt. Maybe I’m crazy, but I like that it’s hard work. I know my window of opportunity to hunt the way I do is starting to close (turning 41 soon) so I want to take full advantage of the time I’ve got left in the elk woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

rayporter

WKR
last year was the second time in 37 years i did not go to the mountains to hunt. the only other time my mom almost died and i spent the season in the hospital.

my time in the hi country is over but i still dream almost daily.

KurtR

WKR
Went and got hooked this will be my 5th year. Lost interest in fishing sold the boat and pretty much think about hunting all year long

kad11

WKR
I'm thinking about dropping it for a while, maybe permanently. It's such a chore to even make it to the mountains anymore with young kids and a job that has me on the road a lot, it's really hard to enjoy it anymore...

2019 was the first year in a long time I didn’t go elk hunting. Same for my two hunting partners (dad and brother). First time for my dad in 35 years he didn’t hunt elk.

Honestly I didn’t miss it, we got our fix in the mountains with moose and mule deer. Now the elk addiction has turned into a moose addiction and elk will probably be a once every few years.

I think for older people working hard for something is nothing new. But I can definitely see millennials thinking it’s way too much work especially if they are new to it and not killing or barely even seeing elk.

My first two hunts were guided. I realized really quickly that some people aren’t as intense about their hunting and also that my animal instincts outweighed anything worth paying a guide for.

So I went right to DIY elk hunting. Then in 96 my brother moved from Pa to Montana. I really started hunting hard. Then started guiding. Then got my outfitters license. Now I own a consulting business selling DIY elk hunting plans. I guess you could say I’m the extreme version of an elk junkie. I do something EVERY SINGLE DAY to prepare for my annual elk hunt. Whether it’s looking at maps, researching or buying new gear, or discussing something with my partner. Basically I hunt elk every day year round.

I’m one and done alright! I hunted elk one time and that hunt has lasted 35 years. I’ll be done when I die!

elkyinzer

WKR
I've been three times but haven't been since 2016 and don't have a burning desire to get back right for several reasons

1) I have young kids and would feel guilty being gone the whole time
2) The 2,000 mile trip across the country is a huge pain in the ass no matter how you slice it
2) I have little to no vacation left to hunt rutting mountain whitetails at home which I do quite enjoy almost as much as elk

#1 should ease in a couple short years, #2 will probably never change, #3 probably doesn't tip the scales unless #1 is also a factor.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
An elk burger, unadulterated with additions, on homemade sourdough bun with all the fixin's is a beautiful thing. Who the heck wouldn't go again?! Maybe unsuccessful trophy hunters?

I think for older people working hard for something is nothing new. But I can definitely see millennials thinking it’s way too much work especially if they are new to it and not killing or barely even seeing elk.

And that's why plenty of people on this forum bitch about the millennials buying new techy stuff and hitting the woods? Millennials age range is about 38-25 right now. There are a literal shit load of hardcore hunters in that range. There are plenty of mamby pambys in every generation that can't hack it. Millennials catch a lot of shit because tech advanced more rapidly in their lives than future generations, and their parents wussed out on some parenting.

Stop and think how many whiny millineals are serving our country, or did in Iraq and Afghanistan . . . Are they weak minded quitters??? I think not!

The millennial crap gets really old as a millennial and if you look across things yes they are different but not any better or worse than other generations. And if you really think they are, blame the boomers and gen Xers cuz they are the ones that raised them that way!!!

I'm 5 elk hunts in, hunt anything I can, and have since I was a kid . . . And i'm a millennial as are all my hunting partners.

*I'm mildly annoyed not angry*

Ok how about “younger generations”?

There will always be a few good ones of all ages but lets face it work ethics and the willingness to get dirty ain’t what it used to be. We used to eat dirt! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

If having a big bull screaming at you at 10 yards blowing snot everywhere doesn't get you addicted to elk hunting, then I have no idea what would. Maybe a Cape Buffalo charging and about to stomp you on a bow hunt might do it as well. But I can't think of anything more exciting to hunt in NA except maybe close range Grizz with a bow.

If having a big bull screaming at you at 10 yards blowing snot everywhere doesn't get you addicted to elk hunting, then I have no idea what would. Maybe a Cape Buffalo charging and about to stomp you on a bow hunt might do it as well. But I can't think of anything more exciting to hunt in NA except maybe close range Grizz with a bow.

I kill an elk just about every year, sometimes two, and of the last say 15-20 elk I've killed, one maybe two has been screaming snot blowing. I've been into elk that have been screaming, but very rarely do I have a sub 20 yds bull blowing snot everywhere. More like bulls screaming, I get in front of them and kill them.

With todays OTC hunting, and the amount of people out there, elk hunting has gotten alot more quiet and the "snot blowing" alot rarer in my next of the woods.

My guess there is a bunch of crazy people that hunted once and never went back. There just not on this site. I have a buddy that's shot most critter but never had a desire to elk hunt. Takes to much time away from deer.

Matt mi

Lil-Rokslider
Ive never been elk hunting wanted to for a long time finally going this year! Just said to my buddy yesterday am i crazy cause ive never been elk hunting and i already want to go again? Not sure it would be possible to only go once