One and only device (GPS)

Balsatech

FNG
I know a lot of people use there phone, but mine is a work issued android device with a limited data plan that I can not go over. I am heading west this fall and am thinking about purchasing a Garmin 66i due to the texting ability and being able to use onX. Planning on making this a yearly trek. Would this be a wise choice?

onX Hunt

Lil-Rokslider
I know a lot of people use there phone, but mine is a work issued android device with a limited data plan that I can not go over. I am heading west this fall and am thinking about purchasing a Garmin 66i due to the texting ability and being able to use onX. Planning on making this a yearly trek. Would this be a wise choice?
Unfortunately Garmin changed some of their software to limit the use of our chips in their devices so currently they are not compatible but we are hoping that changes in the future.

If you are connected to Wi-Fi, save your maps for offline use and that will not use any of the data then when you are out in the field, if your phone is in airplane mode that will not use any data as well and your phone will work like a fully functional GPS unit (as long as your maps are saved).

We currently run onX on our phones then have one of the smaller satellite comm devices that sync with your phone so you can quickly text from your phone through the device.

Feel free to give us a call at 406-540-1600 or email [email protected] if you'd like to discuss more or have any other questions.

OP
B

Balsatech

FNG
Thanks for the detailed explanation. I have never had a use for a GPS, but I was told I had better have one and learn to use it if I was to go.

Rokwiia

WKR
Hopefully people learn how to use a map and compass. If your device(s) fails, many people would be helpless. I'd always bring a map of the area you'll be at.

Back to the subject. I'm not sure why you would limit yourself to one unit. I think a smartphone and a Garmin Mini are a tough combination to beat. The screen on a smartphone puts dedicated GPS screens to shame. Much more information to see and analyze on a bigger screen.

I would never go back to a dedicated GPS unit.