One big bag or a smaller bag with pods ?

Daveinjax,

Here are some bottom line statements about big bag vs. small bag that explain why I would go with the big bag instead...

Big Bag:
~ You always have plenty of room to handle all situations; e.g., if you kill then you have the room to bring out a big quarter or lots of meat, if you have to pack up in a hurry (like it is raining or the elk are moving).
~ Most modern pack bags, especially the ones you are looking at, compress down nice and small/tight so having some extra ci's available doesn't come with any weight or movement penalty.
~ Having extra room makes it a lot easier to pack (and repack) the bag, especially in the field. We all tend to make it all fit at home by packing small and tight and then putting it in the pack bag. Unfortunately we don't always have the time or ability to do that in the field.
~ Having a compressable big pack allows you to use one pack for all of your needs in the field; one pack for all tasks, less cost in buying multiple packs/equipment, and less things to possibly fail.
~ Smaller bags work if you have lightweight equipment, but many of us (maybe you too) have things that are not so light or not so small/short. When that happens having a bigger/longer bag or frame comes in really handy.

Small Bags:
~ Great for smaller loads, less profile and weight (maybe).
~ Helps keep down how much you bring with you since there isn't as much possible room to fill, but that is just a matter of personal preference or not using a packing list and sticking to it.
~ You can add pouches/pockets/grab-its to a small pack to expand its capacity and functionality, but that limits what you can put in those add-ons; e.g., your gas-canister stove may not fit in one of the pouches because it is too long or wide.

So, in the end a large pack will give you more flexibility, more capacity if you need it for whatever reason, lless equipment to buy and take in with you, and little weight/profile penalty so go with the larger bag instead.

Larry

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Thanks guys. I'm coming back to the big bag theory now. Not sure , but it seems to be the standard way to go. I have a fanny pack that holds a good bit that I will take. It will hold a jacket and some food. Enough to get by with hunting close to camp. A small , light day pack can be packed in my big bag. Just don't want to be heavy while hunting.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
With my DT3 it's very limited on space but I like it that way. With bare essentials and swapping a tent for a tarp its going to be near overflowing on a 9 day load. I picked it up used but if I were to buy new it'd be a DT2 so you get the sleeping bag compartment, optional xtl lid and it will compress down as much as you'd like.

slim9300

WKR
Go with the big bag. A T1 or DT1 will pack down to nothing in daypack mode and get huge in a hurry.

I have one small hip belt pocket and a standard lid on my T1. It's perfect for 10+ day hunts or day hunts in my home state of WA.

Here are a couple pics of the pack in "action." The bottom two are with it fully compressed with enough gear for a scouting trip and the other is with the pack 75% full. I don't see the T3 getting much smaller even when compressed.

a6935991-f1a7-330b.jpg

a6935991-f1ca-8098.jpg

a6935991-f219-7870.jpg

Lawnboi

WKR
I think a few pockets is nice, but i dont like having things hang all over.

Man those CB kifaru packs look sharp! I wish it was a color option when I got mine. Now iv got a spike camp legacy on the mind for a good day/ whitetail pack. Might just have to get that in CB. Too bad its got a 12 week wait though.

Ill mention a couple things i think are very nice to have pockets on the outside for.

I always keep my raingear on the outside, that way theres no soaking your pack looking for your raingear when it starts pouring.

I also keep my tarp on the outside for the same reason. No digging necessary when it hits the fan and you need to get under something.

Last edited:

luke moffat

Super Moderator
The compressed pics Slim posted of the T1 is reason enough to never need to run a smaller pack. Adding pods, pockets, and what not is a lot more cumbersome way to add cubic inches to a pack and take longer to take on/off than it does to compress an empty pack like a T1. I'm still debating on whether or not to take the T1 or DT1 tomorrow to the Brooks Range for a bonus sheep hunt I got invited on. :D

OP
Shrek

Shrek

WKR
Slimss pics made up my mind to go big. I'm looking a the stone glacier pack. Waitng to see the spotter pocket. I would add some bungie and a place for a grad it. No extenal sewn in pocket but 3.9lbs sounds good to me. If not the stone glacier then a dt1. I'm hoping he adds an external pocket to the stone glacier pack.

slim9300

WKR
The compressed pics Slim posted of the T1 is reason enough to never need to run a smaller pack. Adding pods, pockets, and what not is a lot more cumbersome way to add cubic inches to a pack and take longer to take on/off than it does to compress an empty pack like a T1. I'm still debating on whether or not to take the T1 or DT1 tomorrow to the Brooks Range for a bonus sheep hunt I got invited on. :D

It's a rough life Luke. MAYBE someday I'll get to go on that sheep hunt of my dreams. For the time being I just have to be happy with killing elk in a couple of states. ;)