One caliber to do it all...for me

I’m trying to get away with hunting with one gun. I mainly hunt whitetail deer and black bear in the mountains of Pennsylvania and go elk hunting maybe every other year in Colorado. I’m leaning towards a 7mm hell’s canyon speed. I’ve thought about a 6.5 prc. Idk if it has enough powers to take elk from far away.(maybe like the farthest 500 yards) I think 300 wm is a little to much for the whitetail and I’d rather stay away from the recoil from it. Do you think the 7mm would be my best choice or is there another caliber you choose?

OP
N
Sounds good thanks guys! That’s all I need was some assurance on the decision.

hodgeman

WKR
For a true "One Gun" solution for N. America...a 7 mag or 300 of some flavor is tough to beat.

It will be needlessly powerful for smaller species like deer, and probably just a bit small for the biggest game like bison or brown bear but certainly capable of everything- near or far.

For up to elk-sized game to 500 yards, you have options (with proper bullet select). Nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem Mag, but there's also the 280 AI and the 6.5 PRC will work as well.

tdot

WKR
I couldn't decide on a single cartridge, so I built a switch barrel rifle. Mine is a 6.5ss and a 338ss, but a 6.5PRC and 300WSM would also be a good combo.

7MM Rem Mag is a great all around gun from antelope, deer and elk, to probably caribou, moose and bear if I were a betting man. Which I am because I just purchased a Hells Canyon 7 MM Rem Mag and it shoots great! And exceeds my shootability expectations. I think it’s just a matter of choosing the correct ammo for the game you’re after.