One caliber

philw

Lil-Rokslider
If I had to go with one caliber it'd be .284 caliber. If I had to go with one cartridge it'd be a 7 mag.

unm1136

WKR
I only have 1 centerfire rifle to take any game with. A 30.06. But, this rifle is in need of some stuff. It is a WWII vet, and it is not free floated, has a pencil weight barrel, and the zero wanders depending on barrel temp. It also needs to be refinished. The 35 Whelen AI is calling to me...

pat

7mm mag

some of you 300 guys should look at a comparison of downrange velocity/ke on the 300 vs 7mm. I know it surprised 1 of my friends into purchasing a 7mm and selling his 300. Cheaper bullets, lighter recoil, better downrange ballistics.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
7mm mag

some of you 300 guys should look at a comparison of downrange velocity/ke on the 300 vs 7mm. I know it surprised 1 of my friends into purchasing a 7mm and selling his 300. Cheaper bullets, lighter recoil, better downrange ballistics.

I did, a 230g bullet out of a 300 rum at 3000fps wins:)

I did, a 230g bullet out of a 300 rum at 3000fps wins:)

I agree, but when we are talking "all around" i think anything from coyotes to moose, i dont think i would use a 230 grain giant shooting a coyote. then again, you can get way smaller bullets for the 300. I just like that I can shoot 160 gr accubonds with my 7mm and feel like I am good to go on anything that I hunt, I dont have to change bullets based on my game.

300 is better for brute force, you are right, but for my personal usage, the 7mag does the trick. I was just pointing out that for most loads, a comparable load in the 7mm performs equally well, if not better, at longer (300+) yardage.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
For north American game.....I like my .270 the best

Yep, from antelope to Alaska Yukon moose, I have used the lowly and vanilla .270 Winchester. Works so well I have four of them from a 6# all up tiatanium job to a fancy super grade to cover every "hoofed animal" situation. Big nasty toothy critters make me want more power and diameter, but I am 100% comfortable and confident with my .270 for every NA ungulate.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Yep, from antelope to Alaska Yukon moose, I have used the lowly and vanilla .270 Winchester. Works so well I have four of them from a 6# all up tiatanium job to a fancy super grade to cover every "hoofed animal" situation. Big nasty toothy critters make me want more power and diameter, but I am 100% comfortable and confident with my .270 for every NA ungulate.

Steve O, I don't think the 270 is lowly or vanilla at all, tried, true, and proven is what I would say.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
I agree, but when we are talking "all around" i think anything from coyotes to moose, i dont think i would use a 230 grain giant shooting a coyote. then again, you can get way smaller bullets for the 300. I just like that I can shoot 160 gr accubonds with my 7mm and feel like I am good to go on anything that I hunt, I dont have to change bullets based on my game.

300 is better for brute force, you are right, but for my personal usage, the 7mag does the trick. I was just pointing out that for most loads, a comparable load in the 7mm performs equally well, if not better, at longer (300+) yardage.

Good point, I have never shot a 7mag and know very little about them, I think I like the 300 because of the wide range of bullets I can use. You have a great point about not having to work up different loads for different animals though. Recently I have been playing around with different loads in 165 and 180 grains tried to find the best all around.... maybe a new rifle would solve that, haha!

tstowater

WKR
I can't stick to one caliber. I primarily shoot a 300 WSM. It would be a good choice, but the '06 and the 300 Win Mag would have more ammo availability. I like to shoot too many other guns to stick to one caliber. I run from the 17 Remingtons to a 338 Win Mag and most everything in between. Probably too specialized, but a good excuse to buy a different caliber.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member

I do agree the 7mm is a great round. But when I am hunting in bear country, I like to know I have a big projectile!

Hard to argue with this. Plus it's fun to kill animals with the 270 next to guys that have $3k in their super duper shoulder dislocator.