One caliber

Mckinnon

WKR
If you could only have one caliber to hunt with for the rest of your lives what would it be? Assume you're gonna be hunting any and every hoofed game animal in North America.

I know this is a silly question, as we always need more rifles in our arsenal but I am still curious to see the responses. Please put why you would choose this caliber.

OP
Mckinnon

Mckinnon

WKR
Well I guess I should start with mine. 300 Win mag, I like the wide range of bullet wieghts that are available, also the availability of in store ammo if something happened while traveling, and plenty of knock down power.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Easy, 30-06, never owned one and likely never will cause this is a purely hypothetical question and the reality is I can always have a bunch of calibers to choose from, but the 30-06 can do it all.

Beastmode

WKR
.308 my grandpa killed everything from blacktail to brown bear with it. May not be one of the new speed demon magnum rounds but it is tried and true.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
one caliber

Hands down---the good ole 300 winchester magnum.
Super accurate, great bullet weights, good recoil for a magnum and you can get ammo almost anywhere.

Randy

bbrown

WKR
I would pick the 300 win mag if I could only have one. Although I have to agree the '06 would do it as we'll.

AZ Vince

WKR
I'd have to go with the .300 Win Mag also.
God I hope we don't get just one rifle, although it may come to that one of these days.

dotman

WKR
I have been wondering this same thing, so from what I understand anything over a .270 and under a .338 that is readily available ammo wise in most stores?

It would be a 30-06 for me. I love that cartridge and two 30-06 rifles I have owned have both been superb. My Ruber #1B is a fantastic rifle that spits 165 gr. Accubonds out at 2940 fps. Hopefully here in a week or two I will find a nice mule deer buck and a nice bull elk to prove my theory on. Big fan of the 280 Remington and would feel fine with that one also.

My son (16) would probably use his 300 WSM EW SS Model 70.

wk93

Lil-Rokslider
That's a tough call between my 30.06 or my 300WM. I would probably go with my 30.06 because of the wide variety of bullets and weights it offers. Still would be a very tough choice though.

2rocky

WKR
I made the decision 24 years ago and I don't regret it. .300 win mag for the reasons you mentioned.

If the list was restricted to non-magnums then the 30-06 would be my choice.