One Do-It-All spotting glass

I don't have a great deal of dough to spend on glass, but I know that it is consistently listed as one of the top pieces of gear I should have. At this point I have no spotting scope, I do have 10x42 binos. I live in the southeast and I come out west once or twice a year. If I were to buy one do-it-all piece of glass for spotting, would you suggest something like 18x binos? Or a dedicated spotter? What would you suggest that is sub $500? Sub $1000?

First, grab a tripod/head if you do not already have one. That alone is the most cost effective piece of optics that you can buy. It will instantly make any binocular better when it comes to glassing. You do not need to spend a ton of money on this.

Second, what make/model of 10s do you currently run? If they are on the lower end, you may want to consider upgrading them. It is better to have a quality pair of 10s (on a tripod) than a low end spotter. Clarity trumps magnification.

Third, what exactly are you wanting to achieve? Just find any legal animal? Count points/inches?

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Agree^^^ Try your 10x42 on a tripod and you may be set as-is depending on the quality of your existing binos.

Aaron Warpony

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion- I have a nice spotter but it is only used once i find critters, to look really close. Some hunts i don' t even take it. I use my 10x and 15x binos alot more. The tripod advice above is solid. I would say get a good pair of used glass in a 10x, 12x, or 15x, whatever you find you like. Lots of threads on here for good options in specific brands, models

I have a pair of 10x25mm Leica Ultravid binoculars. Yes compact binoculars but I sure like them. The next item works for me at least. I live in Montana and I use it for hunting, range time, and just for viewing wildlife. I'm am 100% satisfied with the glass, lightness, durability, and warranty.

Leupold 15-30x50mm Gold Ring compact spotting scope.

1614965920481.png

Attachments

• 1614965878732.png
    1614965878732.png
    474.9 KB · Views: 71
First, what type of hunter are you, I mean, are you a meat hunter, a trophy hunter, or somewhere in-between? This information will help guide any advice provided.

I hunt 2 different areas in my state regularly. In one area, more local to me, I carry my 10x42 binoculars, and 15's along with a tripod. I limit myself to these because the terrain and growth does not allow for long glassing. In short, the furthest I can glass in this country is about 1 mile, and there are only 2 spots like that. The vast majority of my glassing in this location is under 1/2 a mile. Because I know the location so well (I have been hunting it for over 30 years) I could get by with my 10x42's only. But there are times I find bucks bedded in the brush of a slope in which my 15's are a huge help in determining if the buck is a shooter (my standards) or not. But in this location, even at the furthest distances, I can always get close enough for the 15's to do their magic.

In the other location I hunt, I have tons of vast vistas of distances well beyond 1 mile and multiple miles. In this location, without lugging around my Ed 82 spotter, I would waste way to much time walking to get within judging distance of bucks, as the Swarovski 15's, despite being amazing, just don't provide everything the spotter does at such distances.

However, I am after mature bucks, and the ability to judge is a must. If I am just looking to fill the freezer, well I do not even need the 15's for that. I hope that helps.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
The 10x42s are lower end. Around $200. I’m certainly not a trophy hunter but I do look for size and on some deer hunts there are point restrictions, so I would need enough clarity to not waste my energy closing a mile just to find its not a legal buck. Upcoming hunts include bear spot n stalk in ID and mule deer hunt in the cascades.

The 10x42s are lower end. Around $200. I’m certainly not a trophy hunter but I do look for size and on some deer hunts there are point restrictions, so I would need enough clarity to not waste my energy closing a mile just to find its not a legal buck. Upcoming hunts include bear spot n stalk in ID and mule deer hunt in the cascades.
Okay, to start, if I were in your shoes, I would start with purchasing the best 10x42's I could afford and a tripod. So this means getting an Outdoorsman adapter system. I would look for used here, or talk to Doug at https://cameralandny.com/ Doug is a sponsor here at Rokslide and will help guide you in your choices.

Very good 10x42's or 10x50's on a tripod is likely to meet the vast majority of your needs, at this point in time, and will serve you well for the rest of your life. If you can afford it, I would chose a top tier ranging Binocular integrated with a ballistic app, as that will leave you not wanting anything more in a 10x42 binocular. These 2 options are your obvious starting point IMNSHO. With this, you will be in a much better position to determine if you need anything more e.g., 15's or a spotter. In a ranging binocular for example, the Sig's can be had for under $1000.00 new, and they come with a ballistic app. They are about 1 step below top tier glass. Swaro and Leica ranging binoculars are simply well above your price points mentioned.

HuntNTag

WKR
Put your coin in a better pair of higher end 10x42’s and a solid tripod and tripod head. You will see more with that compared to getting a mediocre spotter that won’t be amazing in the first place. The point of a spotter is to see the quality or confirm what you are seeing with your binoculars and you won’t see as much with a lower quality bino in the first place so you would be losing out on both ends.

But... to answer your question, if you were to get a decent backpacking spotter, I vote the Athlon Ares in the 65mm. Lots of bang for your buck and it’s a great weight for throwing in your pack.

If you do not like the one eyed view in a spotter, then a 15 or 18 will get you a great view and much closer to your quarry to confirm what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rock-o

WKR
Put your coin in a better pair of higher end 10x42’s and a solid tripod and tripod head. You will see more with that compared to getting a mediocre spotter that won’t be amazing in the first place. The point of a spotter is to see the quality or confirm what you are seeing with your binoculars and you won’t see as much with a lower quality bino in the first place so you would be losing out on both ends.

But... to answer your question, if you were to get a decent backpacking spotter, I vote the Athlon Ares in the 65mm. Lots of bang for your buck and it’s a great weight for throwing in your pack.

If you do not like the one eyed view in a spotter, then a 15 or 18 will get you a great view and much closer to your quarry to confirm what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SoutheastGoesWest
@HuntNTag

For starters I have a sub-$200 pair of 10x42. They were a gift and I had only used them a couple times on deer hunts. I really had no idea how they'd perform in bigger country that I had planned on pursuing. Furthermore, I didn't know if I'd need a spotter or if I'd want to carry one.

I ended up buying the Athlon Ares G2 UHD 15-45x65 - 45 Degree spotter, a Sirui tripod with VA-5 head, and a Field Optics Research quick release binocular adapter for the tripod. So, the binoculars surprised me - especially on the tripod. The spotter is great for me. I'm glad I went the route I did. Maybe I'll outgrow the setup one day, maybe not.

Kentk

FNG
Tripod is absolutely vital as mentioned above. I have personally found 12x50’s to work great for me in the mountains. I am able to keep them stable enough off hand (many people prefer 10x off hand) and on a tripod I can spot animals a couple miles out.

Start with a good pair of binoculars on a tripod from the classifieds here and then try a spotting scope next year. Buying used makes it easy to upgrade in a couple years if you want to try something different.

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
Never thought there’d be so much love for 10x42s on a tripod over a spotter for a do-all, but i’m glad to see such a great response! Sounds like better binos and a tripod are in my future.

Xlr8n

Lil-Rokslider
Yep quality binos > spotter always. Once you have them and a tripod, spend some time with that set up and decide if you want/need more A nice set of sub-alpha glass will do wonders for you.

Some suggestions:

Meopta Meostars, Nikon Monarch HG's, Maven B2, Tract Toric, Zeiss Conquest HD, Vortex Razor. All of these can be found new or lightly used in the $600-$1000 range and all will work well in the field for many years and shouldn't leave you wanting more. Swaro SLC's can be found used for $1200-$1400 and are a notch above in the true alpha range.

***Sent you a PM on a killer deal that just came up.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Do not get anything until you have a good quality bino, then get a good tripod, after that you can consider bigger binos or a spotter.

TheGDog

WKR
OK... got it.. yeah... first.. get you some primo used glass 10x42's (Last year I got some Zeiss Conquest's used for $750) and a decent enough tripod (On a recommendation I got a SLIK Pro II I think it is. Was only like... I wanna say... ?$175?...Decent enough for also my 15x's and my light spotter, but not too heavy for the hike in) and the Outdoorsman's Micro Pan Head, and the Bino Adapter stud for whichever binos you end up getting. That setup makes setting up so easy and quick!

That primo glass on the 10x42's... now makes me look down upon my 15x mid-tier Vortex Vultures I also happen to have. I don't feel the need to take them anymore, due to the sharpness of those 10's! It makes wonder "Wow... what must it look like looking thru some primo 15's? That's gotta be Amazing!"

Last edited: