One for the Kid

Deadfall

WKR
Well, my boy is finally big enough. We are headed to hills in morning to start scouting and messing around. He's been been shooting bow for a couple years at proper poundage. At 15 he is ready for some backpack hunting. If next few trips go well and he enjoys it, I'll be looking for a proper pack. Just curious how other dads have approached this. Obviously I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something he will outgrow. I also don't want to spend money on a pack that will not be very good fit or comfortable and ruin him. If I go cheap the pack will be uncomfortable and might ruin him. Then too, maybe I'm a overthinker...

On the other hand, I think back to how I rolled at his age and think, what a prick my dad was...lol...Softer time now I guess..

Recon I will know more after I load his current little pack up and see how he handles it,

Other experiences?

Marble

WKR
The same applies for him as it applies to anyone else in my book. I would consider how tall he may get and what you plan on doing.

For me, I like to carry more pack then most. I don't like small day packs and prefer larger packs for multi day hunts. The top end packs mostly all fold down into something that is very usable for day hunting. Which is what I've done with my crater and 44 mag. Wife does the same.

For my boy, I met him halfway with price on a lot of items and tried to think a few steps ahead. Getting gear that lasts and performs, but isnt too expensive. With clothes I didn't really buy him good stuff until he was 17 and stopped growing. But he has quality gear now, one piece at a time.

Maybe consider one of the brands that are modular and you can get different packs for one frame.

And also getting their input gives them some buy in, ownership in the decision and some excitement. It's fun to do together.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk