One item you wish you carried sooner?

Gmag

FNG
Maxi pads for injuries! Work great, sterile, and have wings so you can fly lol. Accidentally ended up with one in first aid kit years back, hit an artery and having it was a life saver for me over gauze.

Milkweed.
Yep way bette.
Thermacel for archery hunting and fly fishing 100% all though I think I actually started carrying one when they basically came out or started to be known. SO maybe that is more of a "what do you wish was available sooner?"

Other than that Zip off long john bottoms and milk weed/duck down windicator. using chalk or something else is worthless IMO...seen too many times the windicator go out 30-40 yards and take a hard turn or even curl back over me in the mountains.
very true wilkweed for the win

BBob

WKR
Milkweed.
Now I really don't know. What do you use it for?
Wind checker.

go_deep

WKR
What is one item you now carry in your pack that you wish you would have though to carry years ago?

Mine is a battery tester. They weigh/cost nothing. Don’t take batteries. And I know I have good ones to swap out in GPS etc. Used it chasing elk the other day and thought “this is genius to have”.

I tape 2 or 3 good batteries together with black electrical tape depending on what device they go in. Loose batteries are junk, tapped together batteries are good.

Seeknelk

WKR
In late season , a road flare for emergency fire starting. Tested it on a very cold day right after big rain storm and everything was wet under a coating of ice and had a foot or more of snow. And icy ,wet fog and snow coming down. A fire would not get going with normal stuff.
The flare was like a small nuclear reaction and got it done. Very impressive.
Also full puffy set for late season.
Also, kowa 883 spotter, I always knew I wanted one, just took a while , and a sheep tag to justify it😉

I have not tried
great idea. Every try smaller sizes like 1/4 or 1/2"? I imagine 18" is ideal length too? Gonna find something in the garage to try this.

Saw it on a video, so I can't claim the idea as my own. I haven't tried any smaller diameter stuff. I chose that legth because 18" was the longest section I could get into an exterior pocket on my pack without folding it... but it really made getting water easier.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
What pillow do you use?

I picked up a klymit pillow last year by accident. I ordered a 0 deg bag and they sent me a pillow instead. They sent the bag after i called told me to keep the pillow. It’s purple a little girlish but that thing was perfect. Has a stuff sack too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a klymit pillow last year by accident. I ordered a 0 deg bag and they sent me a pillow instead. They sent the bag after i called told me to keep the pillow. It’s purple a little girlish but that thing was perfect. Has a stuff sack too

I've been looking at the Klymit pillows. Which one did you end up with?

TIA.

NABG Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Pillow X I think, they work well. Fit nicely inside the hood of a sleeping bag so they don't slide out from under you. I prefer them covered in something like an extra shirt though
Gotcha! I think some inflatable pillows come with a removable pillow case. So I understand what you're doing. I'm hoping I don't bring too many "extra clothes" on m backpack hunt though. LOL.

Thanks for responding.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
I've been looking at the Klymit pillows. Which one did you end up with?

TIA.

I’m pretty sure mines the drift camp one. I’ll have to dig it out of my tote to see. It’s comfortable though. I’m happy with it. The way i see it even if it takes just a little bit of extra room in my pack it’s something nice for comfortability so i don’t mind it. It still packs good

DmichaelD

FNG
Helinox chair zero and ultra lite small tarp. Hunting in Az primarily, getting out of the sun and being comfortable helps to extend hunting days and make them more enjoyable.
I agree. I bought a helinox chair zero for my backpacking hunt last year and now it will always be in my pack. So easy to set up and at only a pound, definitely worth the weight to not sit on the ground or log or rock all the time