One item you wish you carried sooner?

jayhawk

WKR
A first aid kit. Even if just a simple one w/ bandaids and such. I didn't have one and got a nasty cut that never healed right. I always carry one now in my truck AND my pack

RT84

FNG
Alps Z seat. Hardly weighs anything and makes sitting while glassing lots more comfortable.

rootacres

WKR
Another vote for chapstick. After a 7 day WY trip in high winds. . . I had to stop and get some medicated stuff from a CVS. I now carry some full time in my bino harness.

Hoff

FNG
Flagging tape, as a rifle hunter it wasn't need as much. But after an archery shot I find it pretty vital now.
I'll agree with that. It comes in real handy while tracking a blood trail. I have had to go back to the last known blood spot and being able to pick up where that left off made the difference in a successful two hour tracking job to find the animal.

Hoff

FNG
A tester in your pack? I use a good one at home but test and group batteries before I even step out the door. A tester that does use batteries to induce a load will give you a more accurate result.

i also mark my batteries so I can keep them together so they drain together.

View attachment 347611
The battery tester I use is my headlamp. When it goes dark the battery is dead.

A pillow. I spent too long stuffing clothes under my head and thinking that should be enough. It never was, and I had a lot of miserable nights. I still haven't found the perfect pillow for me (if such a thing exists), but just about any pillow will make my nights in the woods a lot easier.

TheGDog

WKR
My teeth are pretty tight so flossing always feels like I'm gonna pop something out or off.

So I'm NOT the only one! Thing I struggle with is the initial Snap-down of that thread past the tightest part of teeth ends up cutting my Gums and makin' 'em bleed for a bit. And I'm always nervy around the underside of some of the crowns in the back. I've had floss get caught/stuck in there with the gum holding it under a lip the crown makes. Which can be a PITA with a pre-built flosser/pick