One item

Dzel777

FNG
27 days until wheels turn for the 19hr journey from NV to BC for my first Rifle Goat hunt. Backpack style hunt off of horses with a small spike camp.
I’ve been packing and getting ready for 8 months, basics are covered, last minute list is made and being checked off.
Tell me one (OUT OF THE NORM) item you appreciated on a mountain hunt.
-please no spare bullets for your rifle:)

Thanks guys!

A, not too heavy, good paper back book. I like to read fly fishing stuff and John Gierach is my favorite fly fishing author, so anything by him usually gets my vote. Makes those times when your holed up in the shelter during stormy weather, a lot easier to manage. Also, nice to end the day, and wind down, with a cocktail and some good reading material.

Jimss

WKR
It only took 1 Alaska sheep hunt to prove to me how valuable trekking poles are on sheep/goat hunts! Learn how to use them correctly and they will save a lot of wear and tear on your body on super steep, rocky slopes!

Bruce Culberson

Lil-Rokslider
1/2 of a Z rest. A seat for glassing, pad to stand on getting dressed, folded up for a rifle rest, and a back up to to your air sleep pad.

OP
D

Dzel777

FNG
Thanks for the replies
Check on the poles and 1/2 a z rest. That’s a game changer!
Love me some Oreos.. not sure without milk though!
22days 18hrs to go!!
Off to the gym now

manitou1

WKR
Troutbum: Gierech is one of my favorite authors. Love his "study of the human species" and great sense of humor. I believe I have read all his books now.

OP
D

Dzel777

FNG
Checking him out now.. pondering stealing the gfs kindle, not sure I want to bring the extra weight to charge it though.

Extra small packages of scent free bottom wipes! Work wonders to keep you from getting ultra stinky and make life a lot more bearable when a shower cannot be had. Bums, feet, underarms, face. If you can scrub your arse and wash your face a guy can survive a whole heck of a lot easier!

OP
D

Dzel777

FNG
Leuko tape? Strips or the roll?
Looking on body glides site now.
There’s about 9 different types, the outdoor one work?
Thanks guys! These are gems, this is the stuff that makes a trip enjoyable and not a learning experience

I just use the blue one. Can get it on Amazon or REI.

I wrap a few feet of Leuko tape around a pen casing instead of taking the entire roll.

Chubscout

FNG
I took a journal that I could write in at night. There are so many little details that you forget about a hunt, plus it’s cool to find that journal and read from time to time. Also take pictures, tons of pictures. Even if you think they won’t turn out or it’s not a good shot take them anyway. Also be ready for a follow up shot or 2. My goat took 3 from a 338 lapua. Good luck man goats are a blast

Trial153

WKR
I buy a roll then I cut it in strips and put in of the slick paper that labels come on. I do enough for like 3 peices a day. It fold up easy and weights less then a roll