ONE jacket to get through it ALL??

Is there one out there or is it wishful thinking???

I'm not a fan of heavy, parka style coats. Because of that, I own more layers than I probably should. And I'm pretty happy with the system I've come up with, so far.

I live in Missouri and hunt year round. I run a trapline in the fall/winter as well. My layers take me from the tree stand, duck blind, beaver pond, etc but I have yet to find that perfect outer layer to top it off.

Id use it for the cold mornings during spring turkey and chilly evenings in early whitetail over a thin baselayer.
Mid-late season whitetail/waterfowl/predator over multiple layers.

I'm pretty cold natured, just gonna throw that part out there.
For reference:
Saturday, I sat in a goose blind for 7 hours. It was 29 degrees with a steady north wind (10 mph or so). I was never frozen but I stayed cold the entire time.
Up top I ran:
Sitka Lightweight Core LS
Light weight fleece mock tee
Sitka Fanatic Hoodie
Sitka Celcius Midi Vest
Sitka High Country Hoodie
(I topped it off with a button up camo shirt just for the camo factor)

This morning, it was 25 with a light wind and I checked beaver traps at 5am wearing a t shirt, Swazi Rooskie (280g fleece), windproof shell Banded vest, and my First Lite Sawtooth. I was comfortable while hiking and pulling the sled, and chilly if I stood still for more than a couple of minutes.

I have a Jetstream and I don't love it. I have a Sawtooth and use it when I'm super active. Not great for a shell (and not camo so doesn't help me much in the waterfowl situation). I've got a Drake jacket and Banded jacket but they only work for that purpose.

I'd like to find a semi insulated CAMO jacket that would work for an outer shell on the cold days, over my layers, or the chilly stationary days with just a base layer.
I'm a firm believer in camo for calling spring turkeys, late season honkers, and predators.

Sorry to be long-winded, I'm hoping the more specific I am, the more input yall might have.

I've been looking at the First Lite Solitude and Catalyst, leaning more towards the Catalyst. But I am definitely not brand specific! Open to any!

Thanks for taking the time to read all of that!

Last edited:
I don't think you'll ever find a one piece of clothing to cover it all. But here's my setup that I've adapted from snowboarding and hiking. Because in those activities you experience a range of conditions throughout the day/season.

Merino Wool Base Layer
Merino Wool Glove Inserts
Merino Wool Neck Gaiter
Merino Wool Beanie
Fleece Outer Layer
Waterproof Rain shells when needed
Artic Boot Shield Insulators
Boxes of Hot Hands/Toe Warmers

With this gear, you can get through almost everything. You mentioned getting really cold when doing long sits in freezing temps.

How well are you covering your head and keeping all skin covered (neck, wrists, etc.)? You lose majority of your heat through your head. I always have a hood on my jackets, and wear a gaiter that covers all of my neck and of course my face in freezing temps. Just pulling a hood up can save a lot of body heat.

I also went to all Merino Wool with my base layers and neck gaiter and beanie for cold weather. It's not always as durable as synthetic, but nothing beats it for warmth and moisture wicking.

On freezing days, I also load up on Hot Hands/Hot Toe packs. I usually double the packs for my hands and keep my hands in my pockets as much as possible. I also have boot covers I put on when I get to my spot to sit that I put hot hands in.

Hot Hand Tip: Open your hot hands at home and put them all together in one pocket to warm up on your way to your spot. They'll be scalding hot and last longer. It's a good way to recharge them.

I personally use Badlands for everything but the neck gaiter and beanie as they didn't have any in merino wool. I use Firstlite for those. One thing I like about Badlands is the warranty and customer service. I'm hard on my gear.

I also have some lighter gear for early bow seasons, but you sounding like you were being specific to cold weather coverage. Hope this helps.

Realize I didn't give you a jacket brand specifically. I have the Badlands Wasatch jacket and love it. I wear the Badlands Bail Rain jacket on super windy days if needed to help insulate from wind. But it's pretty warm in the wind overall and super quiet.

OP
hollarhorns
Thanks for the insight!

I wear a merino beanie anytime temps are below 40. Merino or fleeze neck gaitor depending on the temps.

I have some merino base layers and do utilize them any time I don't have periods of high activity before the sit. I had read somewhere, on here actually, that wool was best used in warm conditions or with low moisture as it doesn't wick as fast as a good quality synthetic.

I either run a heavy merino hoodie (Black Ovis) and always have the hood up or my synthetic counter-part Fantatic hoodie with the hood up. Both are the tight, form fitting hoods. I love that I keep my vision open with those versus a big bulky hood on a coat.

I usually stick a big body warmer hot hand in each cargo pocket of my pants, one in each outer jacket pocket to warm my core and my hands, and one or two on top/bottom of my toes in my boots, AFTER I have changed into dry socks and loosened my laces.

I'm not a real big fan of camo, mainly due to the fact of wanting to be able to wear the garment for anything (not cheap) but my solids only take me so far, especially when it comes to hunting birds. I love my puffy jackets (have a Columbia down and a Sitka synthetic) but they are both covered in Tenacious tape due to briar thickets, brush, etc.

Kotaman

WKR
I have too many jackets as well, but one of my most versatile is the KOM Standmaster Extreme. When it’s not so cold, just wear the wool shell. When it gets cold, add the liner. It’s not a lightweight jacket for traveling hunts but works awesome as a local do all. Like anything KOM, you’re gonna pay big for it. IMO something wool would do great for what you do.

madcalfe

WKR
kuiu yukon rain jacket and down puffy... ive hunted sheep in august and white tails in novemebr in -30*C
i dont even consider soft shell jackets anymore

mlgc20

WKR
kuiu yukon rain jacket and down puffy... ive hunted sheep in august and white tails in novemebr in -30*C
This is what I do as well. Always wear a light merino t-shirt. Then I carry three items:
  • Sitka Core Lightweight long sleeve
  • Kuiu Yukon Jacket
  • Kuiu Down Pro Puffy
This setup works for me from 0 to 95 degrees. Obviously, I add a beanie and gloves when needed. Otherwise, that's it. I love that it covers every temp range and is very simple. Packing for trips is much easier now.

Kotaman

WKR
I agree with the two above posters for Mountain Hunts, but when I’m hunting from home and pack ability and space are not a concern, I want luxuries.

On a mountain hunt I take the following upper items only:

*A couple tees of choice
*KUIU Peloton 97 light hoodie
*Sitka Kelvin Lite Down Puffy
*Sitka Dewpoint Rain Jacket

All of these items are light and packable and would work at home. However, if I want to be comfortable in a variety of conditions and pack ability and space are not at a premium I’ll go to wool everytime. Do the above items work for a variety of conditions? Yes. Are there better options from a hunting/trapping local standpoint...absolutely.

PB123

FNG
Thanks for sharing. I’m headed to Idaho for my first elk hunt, in the Frank Church Wilderness, and was looking for a simple clothing plan to take me through the different possible weather situations.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
There is no “one” coat I’ve ever found.
Of your choices the Solitude is going to be much warmer than the Catalyst, but will be too warm for active pursuits and Spring Turkey. Don’t overlook the furnace baselayer set from FL.
I don’t consider the Sawtooth to be a warm piece at all. It’s a very niche backpacking piece IME.
Sitka gear: I’m a big fan of the traverse cold weather hoody. It is quite warm and wind resistance is good. It also has the ninja mask.
The idea of the down puffy under a shell like the Yukon is a solid option especially for waterfowl and Turkey where noise is not as big of an issue.

I agree with most here and will wear my chugach over a puffy. If you want something a little more quiet and possibly versatile, could do a fleece backed soft shell such as Axis or something over a puffy. It won’t cut as much wind, but still does a pretty good job and considerably quieter than rain gear yet still moderately water proof.

madcalfe

WKR
I honestly don’t think the noise of rain gear well at least the Yukon hinders any ability to hunt in. I’ve shot elk at 30 yards, and white tails within 75 yards wearing it. Sure it definitely isn’t as quite as a soft shell or fleece but I haven’t been busted from it yet.

OP
hollarhorns
Thanks for all of the input. I guess I should have stated that all of my whitetail hunting is archery only. So the noise of the hard shell is definitely a factor. I hunt 95% public land and mostly from the ground so quiet gear is super important. That being said, I typically don't get too wound up about wearing camo when chasing deer. But, if I had the jacket, might as well be able to wear it for that purpose too.

OP
hollarhorns
I was hesitant to drop the coin on the Kuiu set up several of you recommended. I don't doubt for one second that it is worth the money, just not sure for my purposes I'd get all the bang for my bucks.

I like the idea though so I did some experimenting: after reading several reviews on here, I purchased a Plythal Down Jacket today on Camofire. It's 800 wt goose down (the same, I believe as the Kuiu) and I only gave $60 for it.

If I like it, I may do some bargain shopping for a hard shell to go over it.

The search continues...

madcalfe

WKR
oh yea you dont need to buy a kuiu down jacket. any down jacket from a reputable mountaineering company will do. just make sure you get a hard shell. down jackets arent meant for the rain and once there completely wet there toast.

I agree with the two above posters for Mountain Hunts, but when I’m hunting from home and pack ability and space are not a concern, I want luxuries.

On a mountain hunt I take the following upper items only:

*A couple tees of choice
*KUIU Peloton 97 light hoodie
*Sitka Kelvin Lite Down Puffy
*Sitka Dewpoint Rain Jacket

All of these items are light and packable and would work at home. However, if I want to be comfortable in a variety of conditions and pack ability and space are not at a premium I’ll go to wool everytime. Do the above items work for a variety of conditions? Yes. Are there better options from a hunting/trapping local standpoint...absolutely.

Agreed. The lightweight mountain stuff is typically not ideal in Midwest hunting IMO. Not durable for brush busting. Not quiet for whitetails. Not that warm when sitting still.

It seems like OP is using a bunch of layers that aren’t particularly warm on their own. To me that usually results in less than ideal mobility and warmth. What’s wrong with the jetstream jacket? Too tight over puffy?

For Midwest stuff I prefer using an outer layer of the desired insulation level to piling on the layers.

fasteddie

FNG
This doesn't solve the outerwear issue, but I would add a down piece for stationary times (jacket or vest) You just can't beat down for insulation. The mountaineering brands (patgonia, montbell, marmot, arcteryx,etc) are fantastic; light, compressible, and you can find them on sale usually. Kuiu down vest is awesome for the weight. I have the first generation Kuiu down jacket and it is not very warm (but IS light and compact) the newer ones may be better.
SO... get some down! :)
And keep your head and neck covered! Although people do not lose more heat through their heads, if the head is uncovered you will get cold way faster. It is worth looking up some articles with actual up-to-date studies on how to stay warm and how the physiology of staying warm works.
have fun!!

OP
hollarhorns
Agreed. The lightweight mountain stuff is typically not ideal in Midwest hunting IMO. Not durable for brush busting. Not quiet for whitetails. Not that warm when sitting still.

It seems like OP is using a bunch of layers that aren’t particularly warm on their own. To me that usually results in less than ideal mobility and warmth. What’s wrong with the jetstream jacket? Too tight over puffy?

For Midwest stuff I prefer using an outer layer of the desired insulation level to piling on the layers.
I don't dislike the jetstream. The fit isn't great over all of my layers. I wore it last night to coyote hunt over a core LW long sleeve and my Swaszi fleece. I was toasty and it does a great job of blocking out wind and shedding light rain.

I think you're right that I am relying too much on my layers. My layers keep me warm but without a shell to block the wind, it's pointless. I get so cold, so fast while sitting that I've always relied on packing in my layers to hunt. I don't mind being cold while I'm moving but once I've been sitting just 20 minutes, I gotta start adding clothes.

I also picked up a Plythal Prima Heat Vest. I think it is 180g of Primaloft which will be far and away warmer than my thin synthetic puffy vest I'm wearing now. I think that Sitka vest is 80g.

How does the heat retention hold up once down/synthetic has been compressed? (Wearing my jetstream over the 800wt puffy)