ONE jacket to get through it ALL??

How does the heat retention hold up once down/synthetic has been compressed? (Wearing my jetstream over the 800wt puffy)

It’s pretty easy to reduce your insulation’s effectiveness by compressing it with additional layers, which is why I think having your primary insulation as your outer layer makes sense in the Midwest. You basically need a shell that is light and large fitting to avoid compressing insulation. It is tough to find a wind shell that is light and loose fitting enough to avoid compressing insulation while not being too noisy/delicate for common flatlander applications.

Titan_Bow

WKR
Wow, y'all overthink stuff on this site way too often :p Merino base layer, grid fleece and hunting pants, puffy, outer shell (I use Kryptek stuff, so depending on my hunt, thats either Koldo rain gear, or Vellus fleece). If its really cold whitetails out on the plains, I bring artic shield boot covers too, and hand warmers (I always get the Mega ones, they work way better). Point being, with that system, I can hunt elk or mulies in late aug-early sept, through to deer in Nov or late season cow elk in Dec. with very little adjustments to what I need to carry.

Oh, if there were one jacket for all, my money would be on an oversized bombproof shell that you can layer under. You arent going to find a single insulated jacket that serves all scenarios. Layering is your friend.

madcalfe

WKR
Agreed. The lightweight mountain stuff is typically not ideal in Midwest hunting IMO. Not durable for brush busting. Not quiet for whitetails. Not that warm when sitting still.

It seems like OP is using a bunch of layers that aren’t particularly warm on their own. To me that usually results in less than ideal mobility and warmth. What’s wrong with the jetstream jacket? Too tight over puffy?

For Midwest stuff I prefer using an outer layer of the desired insulation level to piling on the layers.
i dunno my arcteryx down jacket stays in my backpack all year long. I wear the yukon jacket year round and its definitely bomb proof for bush wacking... and thats not only for hunting stone sheep. i literally use this combo for spring black bear hunting, September elk hunting, October moose hunting, and also sitting in fields hunting whitetails in November in -20*C i live up in northern British Columbia so cold weather some fall.

the only thing im trying to get across is soft shells literally are a gimmick. they ultimately serve no purpose you might as well be wearing a hoodie. wind cuts through them, sure some are DWR coated but lets be real after 10 mins of a light rain your damp. its probably way more cost effective in the long run to just purchase a proper lawyering system ei thermal wool or synthetic base lawyer/ down jacket/ rain jacket and your covered for the whole year. instead of buying different weighted soft shell jackets.

i dunno my arcteryx down jacket stays in my backpack all year long. I wear the yukon jacket year round and its definitely bomb proof for bush wacking... and thats not only for hunting stone sheep. i literally use this combo for spring black bear hunting, September elk hunting, October moose hunting, and also sitting in fields hunting whitetails in November in -20*C i live up in northern British Columbia so cold weather some fall.

the only thing im trying to get across is soft shells literally are a gimmick. they ultimately serve no purpose you might as well be wearing a hoodie. wind cuts through them, sure some are DWR coated but lets be real after 10 mins of a light rain your damp. its probably way more cost effective in the long run to just purchase a proper lawyering system ei thermal wool or synthetic base lawyer/ down jacket/ rain jacket and your covered for the whole year. instead of buying different weighted soft shell jackets.

Everyone’s use case is different. For my applications the breathability and reduced noise is more valuable than absolute wind and water protection more times than not.

fasteddie

FNG
Sounds like you are on the right track. I have a couple of other thoughts that I will preface by noting that I live in Oklahoma and also hunt AR, so we are in similar climes.
Something I learned from a good bit of mountaineering was to have an "action suit" (i think I stole that term from Mark Twight or Will Gadd) for moving and a "belay suit" which is usually a down puffy to pull on when you stop. It just isn't really possible to have only one kit for moving and long periods of inaction in frigid conditions. Layers are great, but you can't remain stealthy if you're constantly adding and subtracting layers. And enough layers to stay warm when it is really cold gets heavy and bulky pretty quick.
Hike in chilly, pull on a puffy, done.
Down is NOT for approaches, hiking, or brush (like wind gypsy mentioned); you pull it on when you stop. For hunting, your action suit might be layers for controlling sweat on a long approach (you must manage sweat and stay dry at all costs), or something with a durable or quiet outer layer for thick cover or briars, as the situation dictates.
Madcalfe maket a good point; I keep down in my pack almost always, except for early bow whitetail, but around here it is a down vest instead of a hooded jacket.
RE:Softshells. They are just that, soft. Aside from moderate conditions and where noise is priority one, and blocking just a little wind is number two, they are not super useful. I prefer a polartec type mid weight paired with a vest.
It is true that the quietness of puffies (like most layers) varies widely, but when it is so cold that down is required if I try to tough it out in quieter, less noisy fabrics, I end up fidgeting around because I am cold. It is also a mental challenge to stay motivated when I'm cold. Minimizing noise is super important, but so is being still and staying in the stand, so pick the quietest puffy possible. (and not shiny!)
Sadly, as long-winded as this is, it doesn't really help with your main question so I would say one of the guide style waterproof/windproof camo jackets from Sitka, Kuiu, etc might be the closest thing. My outer hardshell isn't camo (it's an Arcteryx), I just have different camo ones for turkey and waterfowl hunting. I agree that solids are fine for most hunting, but birds are a whole different ball game.
Part of my excuse for rambling on is that Wind Gypsy is right, everyone has a unique set of needs; but if we can give a range of experiences and applications, maybe you can pull from it a few nuggets that will help :)

Last edited:

madcalfe

WKR
id highly recommend not getting the kuiu guide jacket/pants
this is what i currently own from kuiu..

Guide jacket, guide pants
Chinook pants
attack pants
attack pro pants
talus pants
alpine pants
yukon jacket, yukon pants
and guide gloves

alpine pants are my go to for sheep hunts but and being replaced this year for some fjallraven keb pants
attack pros i use for bear hunt/ elk when its not so cold
talus pants are awesome late fall hunts for october elk/ moose hunting when its damp and cold out

the guide jacket literally is a jacket that i wear in the truck and thats its
i think ive worn the guide pants twice cause there just not very warm and wind blows through them and gets wet easy.

_Tyler_

FNG
After doing a lot of research and getting the most for my dollar, I chose Pnuma, specifically the Selkirk model. It’s the closest to do it all I could find for what I need. Water repellency was high on my list, as was the jacket being able to breathe. I wanted windproof and something that was going to keep me warm without a ton of base layers. Haven’t hunted in it yet, but I’m pretty impressed so far. Their craftsmanship and attention to the little things are outstanding. Great warranty to boot.

CroMagnum

FNG
After doing a lot of research and getting the most for my dollar, I chose Pnuma, specifically the Selkirk model. It’s the closest to do it all I could find for what I need. Water repellency was high on my list, as was the jacket being able to breathe. I wanted windproof and something that was going to keep me warm without a ton of base layers. Haven’t hunted in it yet, but I’m pretty impressed so far. Their craftsmanship and attention to the little things are outstanding. Great warranty to boot.
I'm currently in the market and considering the Selkirk as well. I'm in the Southeast and typically hunt in the piedmont region but occasionally will do a few hunts in the lower Appalachian mountains as well. I have several pieces from First Lite, Nomad, etc but I love my Tenacity pants and the warranty can't be beat. Any additional feedback on this jacket?

_Tyler_

FNG
I'm currently in the market and considering the Selkirk as well. I'm in the Southeast and typically hunt in the piedmont region but occasionally will do a few hunts in the lower Appalachian mountains as well. I have several pieces from First Lite, Nomad, etc but I love my Tenacity pants and the warranty can't be beat. Any additional feedback on this jacket?
Still haven’t hunted in it, but I was in 25 degree weather with only a long sleeve shirt under it and I wasn’t cold. I have the Selkirk pants as well and they’re wonderful. Both have vents for you to air out.

CroMagnum

FNG
Still haven’t hunted in it, but I was in 25 degree weather with only a long sleeve shirt under it and I wasn’t cold. I have the Selkirk pants as well and they’re wonderful. Both have vents for you to air out.
Ok. Thanks for the feedback. I'll be placing my order soon