One man dyneema floorless shelter

Looking for some suggestions for a one man floorless shelter made of dyneema that pitches tight to the ground... basically looking for a wet weather shelter.

woke up to water dripping on my face this morning and a wetted out sagging tent at 4am, it was a cold and windy 34* blue mountains rain, and my sleeping bag was pretty wet, and everything was pretty wet... not soaked, but it would be the start of an issue if I had been starting a several day trip with some wet weather mixed in... it would be a bigger issue if I was packing up camp this morning and putting all of my soaked gear in my pack and hunting all day.

I want a little one man shelter with room for me and my gear made of dyneema, what’s out there? My thought right now is dyneema silex, is there anything else I should look at sub 500 bucks?

I am moving to a place with a wilderness in my backyard, and being it’s on the coast, I will be doing lots of backpack hunting in the rain... I love the eolus for the simplicity and space for the weight, but after a cold windy rainy night in the mountains, I see some weaknesses... I will still use it primarily for fair weather, because I like the air flow and space, but want something a little different when the weather gets bad... dyneema is more waterproof and you can shake it pretty dry, and the silex seems pretty solid... I like simplicity.

the zpacks hexamid solo tent also seems like a pretty good option

Does it have to be floorless? Zpacks Altaplex for lots of room in a single. Why not the Duplex? Room for you and every bit of your gear inside for 3.6 oz more. The thru-hikers with literally 1000 - 5000 miles under their belts attest that they have never had a problem finding a place to set up. Absolutely weatherproof.

BTW, I have run the Hexamid Pocket Tarp with a net insert. One word: SMALL.
Hexamid Night.jpgHexamid Day.jpg

Last edited:
OP
roosiebull
it doesn't have to be floorless, i guess i just don't want to "pay" for a floor. the pocket tarp does look tiny, but the hexamid solo tent seems like it's bigger. bigger is nice, but i'm not a really picky sleeper, i can pretty much sleep in any space that i fit into.... lots of years of sleeping on boat bunks that aren't wide enough to lay on your back.... i'm 6' and thin, it literally needs to fit me, my pack and boots, and i could be fine setting my pack on my legs to sleep if it was a matter of keeping things dry. i don't mind minimalist, but i don't want extreme lightweight/too small.... this isn't an ounce counting venture.

i have the zpacks bathtub floor mat already, and it looks like it clips right into the hexamid which makes that tent attractive.

i'm open to suggestions, but don't need extra space.... i won't be waiting out storms in it for full days or anything.

it doesn't have to be floorless, i guess i just don't want to "pay" for a floor. the pocket tarp does look tiny, but the hexamid solo tent seems like it's bigger. bigger is nice, but i'm not a really picky sleeper, i can pretty much sleep in any space that i fit into.... lots of years of sleeping on boat bunks that aren't wide enough to lay on your back.... i'm 6' and thin, it literally needs to fit me, my pack and boots, and i could be fine setting my pack on my legs to sleep if it was a matter of keeping things dry. i don't mind minimalist, but i don't want extreme lightweight/too small.... this isn't an ounce counting venture.

i have the zpacks bathtub floor mat already, and it looks like it clips right into the hexamid which makes that tent attractive.

i'm open to suggestions, but don't need extra space.... i won't be waiting out storms in it for full days or anything.

Hexamid tent and Pocket Tarp are exactly the same dimensions. If you want to try the pocket tarp I'll send it to you. Just send it back within a reasonable time! I find it smaller than I prefer. I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 most of the time, as everything is inside the net with me.

Last edited:
OP
roosiebull
Hexamid tent and Pocket Tarp are exactly the same dimensions. If you want to try the pocket tarp I'll send it to you. Just sent it back within a reasonable time! I find it smaller than I prefer. I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 most of the time, as everything is inside the net with me.
i did not realize they were the same size... does look kinda small. how tall are you? is it short or narrow, or both?

OP
roosiebull
i have a debit card i have not activated, so i think i could activate the card, buy a shelter, and not get questioned about it :ROFLMAO:

procrastinating has it's benefits..... she's onto me on the credit card

i did not realize they were the same size... does look kinda small. how tall are you? is it short or narrow, or both?
I'm 5'8". Mainly just "tight". Decent room at head and feet ends, but not above your head or feet. Easy to touch the walls above your feet and head, as well as the back when you roll over, all of which of course will have condensation since it's a single wall. tent. Check out the Altaplex review by "Darwin" on YouTube if your are set on a single place tent.

Just get so much more with a Duplex for almost the same weight and cost. And it's much easier to set up.

Sleeping on boats? As in submarines? STS1 SS/DV 80-86

OP
roosiebull
excellent, thanks! appreciate the feedback.

not subs for me, but have spent a bunch of time underwater (was a harvest diver for 17yrs in OR/AK) i have never had a job that wasn't on the ocean.... mostly commercial fishing the last 20yrs

i will check out the duplex, thanks again, firsthand experience is best case.

OP
roosiebull
i ordered the DCF silex this morning, seemed like it's hard to go wrong there.... almost got a DCF eolus, but that would have made my eolus kinda obsolete, and i hate selling stuff, so i got it's little brother that will be more suitable for bad weather, and don't need quite as much room to pitch..... the long 6-8weeks starts now, haha.

hard to go with a different company that i'm not familiar with, SO has been great in the past.... the silex checks all of the boxes too without worry of it being too small in any way. i was surprised how expensive some of the DCF solo shelters are. will have to do a couple/few day test run with it when i get it.... good excuse to go scout the wilderness area by our new house

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
i ordered the DCF silex this morning, seemed like it's hard to go wrong there.... almost got a DCF eolus, but that would have made my eolus kinda obsolete, and i hate selling stuff, so i got it's little brother that will be more suitable for bad weather, and don't need quite as much room to pitch..... the long 6-8weeks starts now, haha.

hard to go with a different company that i'm not familiar with, SO has been great in the past.... the silex checks all of the boxes too without worry of it being too small in any way. i was surprised how expensive some of the DCF solo shelters are. will have to do a couple/few day test run with it when i get it.... good excuse to go scout the wilderness area by our new house
Good choice! I have a DCF Cim and it checks all of the boxes for duo style hunts. I too recently ordered a DCF silex for my solo trips, waiting on it to ship any day now. Anxious to get it out!

Last edited:
excellent, thanks! appreciate the feedback.

not subs for me, but have spent a bunch of time underwater (was a harvest diver for 17yrs in OR/AK) i have never had a job that wasn't on the ocean.... mostly commercial fishing the last 20yrs

i will check out the duplex, thanks again, firsthand experience is best case.
Rando question. Weren't you a big thread/post contributor on a primarily Oregon hunting/fishing website then swore off of it due to conflict with the mods? Lol....if so, lots of people have asked about you over on the other site!