One man shelter

I already have a few shelters but looking to cut down on weight and run a one man, what are your guys go to one man shelters? Pros & cons would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Floored or floorless?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL 1 and have used it for two seasons. It has been pretty amazing. I never felt like it was too light or too flimsy. I can guy it out if it gets windy and it feels pretty stable. As for weight, I am impressed that it weighs less than 3 pounds (2 pounds, 10 ounces packaged weight). I have no want for any other shelter at this time. If I were ever to get into snow country, I might get some kind of lightweight tarp to pitch over it, lean to fashion. But haven't hunted in snow country yet.

My go to lightweight ultra fast super easy is the Tarptent Moment (foreground). It uses a single pole, two stakes, has a vestibule, and I can sit up without hitting my head. I can literally set it up in 60 seconds. I've had it since 2012 (itching for a new model) and wouldn't use anything else for 3 season solo. Had a buddy that switched to one last year after we had a trip where I was in bed asleep (exaggeration) while he was still trying to set up his Kifaru Super tarp with all of the stakes and guy lines. The Moment provides the option for a crossing pole to give it snow load capability but IMO it's not a good shelter for snowy weather camping.

IMG_20131004_183326884.jpg

Brent111368

Lil-Rokslider
Copper Spur 1 for me also, and I love it. Probably have had mine for 8 years, still as good as the day I bought it. Plenty of room. The vestibule easily covers my back pack and bow, boots also. I typically lay my clothes beside my sleeping pad. Getting dressed in the morning is really not much of a problem, room wise. It is an awesome shelter, never had a problem.

I just picked up a Six Moons Designs Lunar Solo tent to try as a UL 1 man set up. It’s single trekking pole supported and has room for gear inside the shelter with you. Might give it a look.

baec2985e29124e6650eca9ba60ca2a4.jpg
326a890198650396c0e2dcfba47a9621.jpg

Idahomnts

Lil-Rokslider
Mountainsmith lt , roomy for one and reasonably affordable , floor less

Mike 338

WKR
The thing about single person shelters is that if you expect weather, your probably going to want a tarp or something to cook and store your gear under. I've used them and they're fine.

My go to lightweight ultra fast super easy is the Tarptent Moment (foreground). It uses a single pole, two stakes, has a vestibule, and I can sit up without hitting my head. I can literally set it up in 60 seconds. I've had it since 2012 (itching for a new model) and wouldn't use anything else for 3 season solo. Had a buddy that switched to one last year after we had a trip where I was in bed asleep (exaggeration) while he was still trying to set up his Kifaru Super tarp with all of the stakes and guy lines. The Moment provides the option for a crossing pole to give it snow load capability but IMO it's not a good shelter for snowy weather camping.

View attachment 88395

I also use the tarp tent moment. If you’re not expecting high winds you can use the second pole for free standing, and if you’d like you can take out the inner liner. For me the vestibule is a little small, other then that it’s a great setup.

GPool1842

WKR
Been using a marmot tungsten 2-person tent. Switching to Kifaru Sawtooth for this year..

My latest 1 person shelter is a Locus Gear Hapi in DCF, but it's actually big enough for two and only weighs 17 oz. including stakes. My previous 1 person was a Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid, also DCF. It was a great little shelter as well, but it was a fair amount smaller then the Hapi and only 1 oz. lighter.

Pros: Super light wt., handles wind very well, and DCF doesn't stretch or sag in wet/windy conditions like silnylon.

Cons: Expensive, expensive, expensive, and not as abrasion resistant as sil. Oh, and it's expensive.

It's also floorless, so that can be a pro or con depending on how you feel about floorless shelters.

Last edited:
My latest 1 person shelter is a Locus Gear Hapi in DCF, but it's actually big enough for two and only weighs 17 oz. including stakes. My previous 1 person was a Mountain Laurel Designs SoloMid, also DCF. It was a great little shelter as well, but it was a fair amount smaller then the Hapi and only 1 oz. lighter.

Pros: Super light wt., handles wind very well, and DCF doesn't stretch or sag in wet/windy conditions like silnylon.

Cons: Expensive, expensive, expensive, and not as abrasion resistant as sil. Oh, and it's expensive.

It's also floorless, so that can be a pro or con depending on how you feel about floorless shelters.

How does the Locus Gear quality compare to Hyperlite MG ??
Looks to be similar in price.

How does the Locus Gear quality compare to Hyperlite MG ??
Looks to be similar in price.

It’s tough to say Bob. I kind of feel like the HMG is a little better built, but that might just be because the Locus Gear is build a little different. The way that the LG is made, is done by somehow bonding the seams so it doesn’t require sewing. He claims that shelters made that way are better/more durable, but I don’t know for a fact that that is the case. Somehow, to me, the way that HMG makes them just seems to be a little more bomber. So far, I haven’t had any failures with either one, so I guess only time will tell.

It’s tough to say Bob. I kind of feel like the HMG is a little better built, but that might just be because the Locus Gear is build a little different. The way that the LG is made, is done by somehow bonding the seams so it doesn’t require sewing. He claims that shelters made that way are better/more durable, but I don’t know for a fact that that is the case. Somehow, to me, the way that HMG makes them just seems to be a little more bomber. So far, I haven’t had any failures with either one, so I guess only time will tell.

I will probably wait several months to get a 1 man . I am hoping to get out for 2-3 day solo grizzly hunts this fall
Although as you know that might not be possible. But I can hope and plan!!
I was also looking at the HMG Echo, or I could use my HMG Ultamid 2

Also waiting to see what HMG has coming up that you referred to in another thread!!

JWP58

WKR
I run an Easton rimrock 1p. It's old, but I've been using it for years. It's not super light, but it's very roomy with plenty of storage. Dont know what Easton is offering now, but their products are good.

I've never wanted more room when living out of my 1p (only up to 5 or 6 days).