One more caliber /rifle design question

DuckDogDr

WKR
Guys i started the which caliber thread about a week ago. Trying to get my sheep gun out of the way ....stressing more than I should...

I have a 300 RUM I can potentially put on diet and tweak. Currently wearing a B&C stock (M40) with night force and factory sporter barrel...bullets are 1 hole at 100 and can get a touching cloverleaf at 200 but shes HEAVY to carry at least 11 lbs

I had a 264 win mag built for the idea of a sheep gun...but weight fully loaded is 9.5 lbs. Has a mcmillan hunter ..standard fill. #3 benchmark barrel...I could potentially order an edge fill stock...

And I have a factory Thompson bolt. Compass 18" 6.5 creedmor...some one was paying attention that day at factory...shoots .3MOA with factory loads..maybe 7lbs with factory tupperware

Or should I start from scratch build and try to shoot for a super light 300 WM on titanium
If I built another winny would be caliber of choice for availability of ammo (normal times)..
But realistically I would like to put that 3k towards the hunt or other needed gear.

What would yall do...

hodgeman

WKR
There's no way I'd hunt sheep with an 11 pound gun. Your 6.5 Thompson isn't flashy, but it shoots and for sure would tip over a sheep.

I've taken an 8 pound 300WSM in the past and felt it was the right balance. Starting over, I'd probably get a 6.5PRC or 270WIN as light as I could get it. Whether you'd be better off spending the money on other gear is entirely dependent on what your budget and existing gear looks like.

Don't skimp on boots, optics, rain gear, or a tent in favor of a new rifle...those things have a lot more to do with success than the rifle does.

Cspraggins

Lil-Rokslider
I always like the idea of building another gun....but that is just a bad habit I have.

The 6.5 sounds like it shoots lights out and it already pretty light. I would lean that way given your options, assuming you don't want to build.

If you did decide to build, and 7.5-8 lb, fully outfitted 300 WM would be the ticket.

VernAK

WKR
There's no way I'd hunt sheep with an 11 pound gun. Your 6.5 Thompson isn't flashy, but it shoots and for sure would tip over a sheep.

I've taken an 8 pound 300WSM in the past and felt it was the right balance. Starting over, I'd probably get a 6.5PRC or 270WIN as light as I could get it. Whether you'd be better off spending the money on other gear is entirely dependent on what your budget and existing gear looks like.

Don't skimp on boots, optics, rain gear, or a tent in favor of a new rifle...those things have a lot more to do with success than the rifle does.

I'm too old to get into new sheep guns and the 270 has worked well for me for a half century but the new 6.5 PRC would be about perfect for sheep IMO.........and very light!

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Here is the target from the Thompson. first 4 are boresighting ..was close so decided to see what it would do group wise

2nd 2 in the orange after adjusting scope.

Those are the first 6 shots with factory ammo from the barrel . So I'm hoping with reloads to close group on down

20210310_190640.jpg

Dollar/ounce you will save way more weight on the rest of your gear. If your gear is already around 45/lbs excluding just the clothes and boots your wearing than lightening rifle may be the next best place. If this is your first sheep hunt I would just use what you have all around and see if you like it before you make a significant investment. Your 264 seems the way to go to me because you built it for this purpose.

Catchfish

WKR
Take the 6.5, sheep aren’t tough, if you want to cut a bit more weight is it possible to lose 5 lbs instead. I’m not in the best shape and always figure if I’m going to start cutting oz’s I would worry more about my body. Instead of spending hundreds to 1,000’s to lighten my pack I think my last pack weight was real close to 45 lbs

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Take the 6.5, sheep aren’t tough, if you want to cut a bit more weight is it possible to lose 5 lbs instead. I’m not in the best shape and always figure if I’m going to start cutting oz’s I would worry more about my body. Instead of spending hundreds to 1,000’s to lighten my pack I think my last pack weight was real close to 45 lbs
Absolutely..I'm hoping with training I drop some serious weight. My goal for overall health .I need to loose 80lbs. So that is definitely in the works

JB33806

FNG
Of your current options I'd take the Thompson easy. Light and shoots great. Confidence in your rifle is important. If you really lose 80 lbs take whatever you want...

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re in proper shape it doesn’t matter if your rifle weighs 11lbs. My new rifle is going to be at least that. I’m sticking a 3lb scope on it. I’ll carry it in the mountains.