One more time...scopes

Flyjunky

WKR
After many, many hours of research and talking with a few people "in the know" I've narrowed down my selections to the list below. This scope will be going on a 6.5-284 that will be used for both antelope and deer out to 800 yards, and targets to 1200. I've used both FFP and SFP before so I'm not real hung up on either and am comfortable with both so that shouldn't factor into the discussion. My main concern is #1 reliability, #2 lowlight, #3 quality of glass, #4 weight.

I've read or watched everything I could over the past 2 months but I'd like to hear from this crowd before I finalize my decision. I'm an MOA guy so keep that in mind. I'm not overly concerned with weight because I picked the components for this build with a heavier scope in mind if I decided to go that way. If I do go FFP I don't want the reticle to large when on a higher magnification that it covers a lot of area on a target at 1000. I like shooting for small groups at distance rather than just ringing steel. I won't be using this scope much past 15x in hunting situations, though 20x is the lowest I want on the high end.

In no particular order:
1. Atacr 4-20
2. March 3-24x52
3. MK5 5-25
4. NX8 4-32

I won't say which way I'm leaning because I'd like to hear your thoughts first. I'd really like to hear from first hand experience if you've used/have one of the above.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Of those:
ATACR has 34mil tube so will end up mounted higher. You might need to account for that in your stock of choice or use a stock pack. I wish they made this line in 30 mil!

IMO, the March handles the tighter eye box and smaller exit pupil better than most high zoom scopes so it gets the nod over the nx8.

No experience with the MK5.

I think those are all quality choices though.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
Of those:
ATACR has 34mil tube so will end up mounted higher. You might need to account for that in your stock of choice or use a stock pack. I wish they made this line in 30 mil!

IMO, the March handles the tighter eye box and smaller exit pupil better than most high zoom scopes so it gets the nod over the nx8.

No experience with the MK5.

I think those are all quality choices though.
Thanks. Yes, I think the March does well there, especially in the 52mm obj version.

I don't think one scope stands above the others and that's why the choice has been so hard and I've been going back and forth. If I could swing it or find a used one I'd go with the new ZC 4-20 but they are hard to find used, especially since the MOA version is so new.

I've owned a mk5 5-25 and currently a March FX 4.5-28.
While I love my march I have to say it really doesn't do anything that my mk5 didn't do just as well.
I ran my mk5 hard for several years on 300 mags to 338s and it tracked spot on while never losing zero in rough conditions.
Also the eye box on the mk5 is the best I've seen, my march is kinda fussy like all short scopes.
I owned an NX8 4-32, and to say it nicely its a super disappointing optic for the price

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
While I love my march I have to say it really doesn't do anything that my mk5 didn't do just as well.
I ran my mk5 hard for several years on 300 mags to 338s and it tracked spot on while never losing zero in rough conditions.
Also the eye box on the mk5 is the best I've seen, my march is kinda fussy like all short scopes.
I owned an NX8 4-32, and to say it nicely its a super disappointing optic for the price
Thank you.

I know leupolds get a bad rap for reliability but from someone I talked with who has said he has put 100's on rifles he's built for customers he's only had a handful of problems.

Out of all the brands I've listed I have the most experience with the Leupolds and I've never had problems either. I do think they have great glass for the $$.

On your MK5 did you have the illumination? What were you're thoughts on being able to see the reticle at 5x?

Thank you.

I know leupolds get a bad rap for reliability but from someone I talked with who has said he has put 100's on rifles he's built for customers he's only had a handful of problems.

Out of all the brands I've listed I have the most experience with the Leupolds and I've never had problems either. I do think they have great glass for the $$.

On your MK5 did you have the illumination? What were you're thoughts on being able to see the reticle at 5x?
Yeah I spoke with a pro shooter from GA precision and he's been competing with a mk5 for years with the same result.
I didn't have illumination, the reticle looks like a fine Duplex at 5x but still usable.
I've owned several illuminated ffp scopes and honestly it's not beneficial in 99% of the scenarios I've tested it in.

I was also pretty underwhelmed with the NX8 4-32. I shot with a buddy this weekend who just got one and really didn’t care much for it.

OP
Flyjunky

Flyjunky

WKR
I was also pretty underwhelmed with the NX8 4-32. I shot with a buddy this weekend who just got one and really didn’t care much for it.
I've been seeing quite a few for sale in the classifieds of forums so I think people are coming to that same conclusion.

I'm an MOA guy as well and my favorite scope to date is the Kahles K624i. An ATACR is also a phenomenal optic and it has some really nice color pop compared to the flatter colors in my Kahles. The NX8 I have now is a great scope but I use is as a 4-24x as I feel it just isn't at its best optically above 24x, I would hunt with that scope and never think twice about it.

The Mark5 gets a lot of love and their PR-1 MOA reticle is very similar to my Kahles. I think you'd love it. 35mm rings aren't impossible to find but your choices are a little more limited than the 34mm rings you'll need for most the other scopes you listed. I don't like where the windage mark is on the windage turret of the Mark5 but I could look past it. Optically I have had my Kahles next to a 525 Mark5 and the Kahles was better; newer version of the Mark5 are supposedly better than one of the first samples I looked through. I wouldn't have felt handicapped in any way with the sample I peeked through, but the Kahles glass still had advantages. Lot of competitors are running their Mark5s hard with no issues so I wouldn't be worried to run one on my hunting rifle.

Really can’t go wrong with either. I know we’ve talked. I’ve ran a bunch of the mrk5’s hard. I’ve got 2 new builds in the works. They will either wear a couple more 5-25 or a couple nx8 4-32’s. I think I’m going to try the nx8’s. Only because the last 6 I’ve bought have been the leupy’s and I just want to try something else for awhile. May regret it? You can read the good the bad and the ugly about them ALL.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mk5 3.6-18x with the Gunwerks reticle and NX8 2.5-20x.

In my opinion the mk5 is nicer in every way.

The eye box in the NX8 does kinda suck and I find myself moving up and down the stock depending on the magnification. With that said I never noticed it until I got the mk5. I was happy with the NX8 other than the illuminates reticle switching on under recoil.

Both are reliable in the years I’ve owned them. I ran both the scopes through the scope testing method described elsewhere in this forum. However, I’m only dropping from 24”. I don’t have the guts to drop my scopes 36” on to frozen ground.