One Proud Brother

archp625

WKR
Here is the background story. My brother and I are 18 months apart in age and we have grown up around guns. As we got older, we went down separate paths and he did not get into hunting. We did hunt rabbits and squirrels a few times with our Dad when we were younger, but that was his extent of his hunting background.

Fast forward many years to this January- February, he texted me and said he wanted to start hunting. He wanted me to come to his place and hunt whitetail deer. I told him I could not opening weekend due to a group of guys going to Montana to hunt Mule Deer. He said he was afraid to ask his wife to go (they just had another child). I did not blame him as all. His wife texted me begging me to to hunt with him. I told her I could not but he could always go to Montana with me. Fast forward to last week, he picked me up and we were off to our first hunting trip together. I was like a kid in a candy shop. So excited for him to experience hunting big game and me being there on his first hunt.

Up until the day we left, he did his own research on the equipment he would need to make his hunt comfortable and shot the heck out of his new gun to be proficient and to know his gun inside and out.

This day in the picture was tough. We did not have a favorable wind that day for the direction that we were walking. It was pretty dang cold as well. So about noon we decided that we needed to head back to the truck, but hunt the whole way back. The wind would be in our favor.

We decide to sit on the edge of a bowl for the last few hours of the evening, to glass. There she was 740 yards away. We both decided that he wanted to try and take this deer but we needed to get closer. We made a quick plan on how to get to her and off we went. We got to within 150 ish yard of where we last saw her and she was gone, or so we thought. She was still there, we just bumped her. She ran down a drainage and I though we blew our chance.

Out of no where, my brother ran over to the edge where she went, threw his bipod legs outs and set up for her to come out. He made a one shot lethal shot on her at 100 yards.

We were both so pumped. Matter of fact, I was more excited and happy than the day before where I shot a 3 x 4. He succeeded. That was my number one goal on this hunt. As we were driving back home we both decided that this hunt was tougher than we though it would be but it had enough "suck" to make it awesome.

I will remember this hunt for the rest of my life. I cannot wait for the years to come that we can go on another hunt and one day we can take our kids hunting together as well.

Aarons Deer.png