One Rifle to do it all Or a rifle for each occasion?

I am a one rifle guy excluding my muzzleloader. Alot of it has to do with it being a birthday gift when I was 13 and the sentimental value it has on me. Though I participate in raffles for guns I would still probably hunt with my current rifle.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Hoodie

WKR
I've settled on two. I don't have any problems with the idea of one for everything, but I like having a backup in case one takes a hard knock or something.

I went with 6.5CM and 7mm Rem Mag. No issues hunting elk with the 6.5 or deer with the 7mm if one or the other isn't up and running.

slick

WKR
I like a handful of rifles and could certainly parse them out for specific species/styles of hunts.
Gimme a 6.5mm, 7mm, 30 cal, 33 cal, plus a 375 H&H.

I wish I was a one rifle kind of guy, but I'm not.

TheViking

WKR
Good timing for this thread.

I’d love to have one, but I can’t. There’s been too many times where I’ve thought of the “what if’s” and need a second rifle. Dropping a rifle, something malfunctions, etc. I value my time too much to only have one big game rifle and potentially miss a hunt because my only rifle is broken down.

Currently I have a 300 WM and a 270 WSM. Both are capable of killing deer and elk. Debating on swapping out the 270 WSM for a 6.5 PRC or CM. Love that round and rifle but it has some good snort behind it, wouldn’t mind a little lesser shoulder pounding rifle for my ‘lightweight’ setup.

Last edited:

Squincher

WKR
I shot a 30-06 for everything for a long time, and it worked. But it tore up a lot of meat on deer and it was kind of limited on larger game. I think I'm better off with a 7-08 for deer, and .338WM will shoot all the way through the front half of a moose from any angle.

OP
FireNelk

FireNelk

FNG
I’m a sucker for 30 caliber rifles. I have used a tikka 30-06 for moose, elk, deer, caribou, and antelope. I was gifted a very nice .300 win mag a few years ago and fell in love with the range and versatility. So far I’ve taken several elk and antelope with it and honestly it shoots so well that I don’t see myself using any other caliber with the exception of possibly a .338 for brown bear if I can ever get back to AK.
I am as well. I have a 30-06 that was my first rifle from my Dad a 300 WinMag and now a 300 PRC.

CoStick

WKR
I’m currently working on my 300 PRC and also have a 6.5 PRC.
Will use the 30@ for elk/larger game/long distance.
6.5 for deer/antelope/ other medium game.
Just wondering how many of you use just one all around rifle and who has one set up for each hunt?
.270 win for everything, but mostly elk.

Anschutz

Lil-Rokslider
Alright fellas, go look in your wife's closet and tell me what you think. I believe in horses for courses. I wouldn't take my 15lb 30" barrelled 6BR up a mountain any sooner than I'd take my 7lb .45-70 to a high-power match. That said, my .270 tends to get most of the action for big game.

I own way too many guns. Many sit in the safe for as much as a year between trips to the range. I have roughly $22k in bolt action rifle/scope combos. I’ve only used 3 rifles to take game in the last 10 years. The other $19k sits in the safe.

ldmay375

FNG
I’m currently working on my 300 PRC and also have a 6.5 PRC.
Will use the 30@ for elk/larger game/long distance.
6.5 for deer/antelope/ other medium game.
Just wondering how many of you use just one all around rifle and who has one set up for each hunt?
Tough question to answer. One can always have a do-all cartridge for hunting. All depends on the game animals and terrain they are hunted. I personally would like at least one .224 centerfire to accompany a do-all larger game rifle.

Just depends on the game animals and terrain. I do think 4 larger game cartridges / rifles would cover most any situation in North America through Africa’s largest.

There are situations were the 30-06 is a one and done cartridge. But, if you are a rifle guy, you may wind up with several rifles in the same cartridges. They have a tendency to multiple.

The .224 centerfire and 3 larger centerfires, I think I could hunt anything in my area without feeling any compromise. The rest are because I like and have fun with multiple rifles and cartridges.

I currently have 2. A 30-06 and a 25-06. I definitely want more, but I hate the idea of having guns that won’t get used. That said I’ve been thinking hard about adding a 7mm Mag