One rifle ?

Babills

FNG
I now use a Tikka T3X, 6.5 creed and a Savage 110 storm in 30-06. Both shoot great but was thinking of selling and just buy one new rifle. What would be a good rifle and scope for 1500 dollar limit? Not sure on caliber but want to be able to shoot deer,elk and maybe moose. Thanks.

Tikka T3x 300WM gonna be a bit overkill for deer but the moose kinda shakes things up. That’ll be half budget and leave you some money for Vortex Viper 1gen, Nikon black x1000 or might get lucky and find a used NF SHV lower magnification in that price range

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For your price point, keep the 30-06 Savage and get a decent scope for it. 30-06 with the right load works for everything in North America. Get a Nightforce SHV scope and move it to a new rifle in a few years. The NXS would be a hundred over your price point (unless you are LE or mil/vet).

You could get a pre-fit barrel for you Tikka in 30-06 for $400 to $1000 (Proof Research carbon) as well, just depends on how fancy you want to get. That would give more for your money than a whole new rifle. You could still get an SHV if you got a $400 barrel.

A Winchester Model 70 featherweight SS in 30-06 can be had from Midway USA for under $1000. If you just want a nicer rifle this is an excellent option and a gun with soul, making it worth keeping for a lifetime.

Out of your price with anything other than a cheap scope, but if weight is a concern and you like to tinker it is hard to beat a Kimber Montana for $1250 from EuroOptic. If weight is not a big deal for you, get the Winchester.

For a rifle that needs nothing out of the box a Sako Model 85 cannot be beat; but short of a used one this is out of your price range. I'm trying to sell mine. i would be happy to give more information. But, if it where me, I would get the Winchester for true CRF (but the Sako over any push feed).

22lr

WKR
My opinion, sell both, get a Win70 SS in 30-06. Put a good scope on er, set and forget. Nothing wrong with either other rifle, but man, the Win70 action is just the bees knees.

Let's be honest, it probably won't shoot better than either of what you already have. But its just a different class of rifle.

For caliper, 300win or 30-06 will serve you well. Im more of a 30-06 fan myself but they are both insanly adaptable rounds. Id personally prefer 30-06 since I'm a wuss and prefer a little less recoil.

slvrslngr

WKR
My opinion, sell both, get a Win70 SS in 30-06. Put a good scope on er, set and forget. Nothing wrong with either other rifle, but man, the Win70 action is just the bees knees.

Let's be honest, it probably won't shoot better than either of what you already have. But its just a different class of rifle.

For caliper, 300win or 30-06 will serve you well. Im more of a 30-06 fan myself but they are both insanly adaptable rounds. Id personally prefer 30-06 since I'm a wuss and prefer a little less recoil.

A smart rifle shopper listens to this advice.

False_Cast

Lil-Rokslider
Anything in your proposed price range will likely be a downgrade from the T3x. And there’s no reason to increase recoil. Modern bullets perform better than those of yesteryear and allow shooters to do more with less recoil, increasing precision. A model 70 and 180gr partition will work. So will riding a horse to the next town over. But there are more comfortable and convenient ways to get there in this era.

For your price point, keep the 30-06 Savage and get a decent scope for it. 30-06 with the right load works for everything in North America. Get a Nightforce SHV scope and move it to a new rifle in a few years. The NXS would be a hundred over your price point (unless you are LE or mil/vet).

You could get a pre-fit barrel for you Tikka in 30-06 for $400 to $1000 (Proof Research carbon) as well, just depends on how fancy you want to get. That would give more for your money than a whole new rifle. You could still get an SHV if you got a $400 barrel.

A Winchester Model 70 featherweight SS in 30-06 can be had from Midway USA for under $1000. If you just want a nicer rifle this is an excellent option and a gun with soul, making it worth keeping for a lifetime.

Out of your price with anything other than a cheap scope, but if weight is a concern and you like to tinker it is hard to beat a Kimber Montana for $1250 from EuroOptic. If weight is not a big deal for you, get the Winchester.

For a rifle that needs nothing out of the box a Sako Model 85 cannot be beat; but short of a used one this is out of your price range. I'm trying to sell mine. i would be happy to give more information. But, if it where me, I would get the Winchester for true CRF (but the Sako over any push feed).
Did Sako fix ejection issue? Or they still recommend tall scope rings and small windage turret? Thanks