One rifle ?

TheGDog

WKR
I feel you on that. But there is sort of a situational component to that choosing process.

Like an in-your-face encounter situation takes away using something "adequate" as a wise choice.

People may often use a certain caliber that others might poo-poo upon to take that animal, but they're not doing it up-close-and-personal though. So under those kinda circumstances, of taking a relaxed well-placed shot, it could be perfectly fine to use.

If it came down to one, my choice would be a stainless 30 cal magnum of some flavor.
If you like the idea of a Winchester 70, there’s a nice 300 weatherby classic stainless on gunbroker now. Should leave you $5-600 for a scope and mounts. Should handily do anything in NA and then some.

Forelle

FNG
I’m mostly a bird hunter, so I went down this bunny hole a few years ago. Settled on a Tikka t3 ultralight in 30-06 with a 4-14 Leupold

As you know Tikka's are tough to beat and the 06 does it all well enough. That said, I do often think debate the lighter recoil and ballistics of that 6.5 cred you have:)

OP
B

Babills

FNG
I’m mostly a bird hunter, so I went down this bunny hole a few years ago. Settled on a Tikka t3 ultralight in 30-06 with a 4-14 Leupold

As you know Tikka's are tough to beat and the 06 does it all well enough. That said, I do often think debate the lighter recoil and ballistics of that 6.5 cred you have:)
The recoil is very comfortable in the 6.5 T3X. But I almost prefer the savage 30-06, I think the accustock is just more comfortable to me. And it is definitely a more stout and stiff stock. I can't stop looking at the Winchester 70 EW now. I just might be selling both of my rifles after my upcoming antelope hunt.

you could always send your 6.5 Tikka to WTO for one of their switch lug systems. They can retrofit your 6.5 barrel for around $100. Then, just add a 30-06 barrel for the SL and you're all set.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The recoil is very comfortable in the 6.5 T3X. But I almost prefer the savage 30-06, I think the accustock is just more comfortable to me. And it is definitely a more stout and stiff stock. I can't stop looking at the Winchester 70 EW now. I just might be selling both of my rifles after my upcoming antelope hunt.

I have a Winchester 70 EW in 30-06, it’s worked great on moose and caribou, an elk and random deer in a few different states as well. It would
Make a great all around rifle.

j33

WKR
I’m shooting a 30-06, next gun is a 6.5 PRC Tikka I think. IMO Bullet technology has made the advantage of moving down bullet sizes so I’m not as convinced shooting the big calibers as much as I used to be. I’m not a long range shooter anyway.

Will keep the 30-06 until I get some good experience with the PRC. It sure is nice to have a common caliber though, lots of ammo to choose from, as yesterday they were sold out of all 6.5mm rounds at a big chain store.

Apollo117

WKR
But how are the new winchesters reliability?

I haven't looked at reliability issues specific to the model 70 EW. The model 70 action is controlled feed and uses a Mauser style extractor. That type of action is one of the most popular used by dangerous game hunters and PH's in Africa. If people trust that type of action as their pants get heavy while a water buffalo charges them, then it's good enough for me.

OP
B

Babills

FNG
I haven't looked at reliability issues specific to the model 70 EW. The model 70 action is controlled feed and uses a Mauser style extractor. That type of action is one of the most popular used by dangerous game hunters and PH's in Africa. If people trust that type of action as their pants get heavy while a water buffalo charges them, then it's good enough for me.
Lol well I guess you can't argue that. I'm definitely leaning towards the 70 I'm hoping to maybe find the tungsten model with the brake. But they don't seem to be available.