One scope to do it all

Macintosh

WKR
Looking for a reasonable quality scope to go on a lightweight hunting rifle that is doing double duty for low-key sporter class PRS matches. I have a couple that I’m looking at, but having trouble finding one with a reticle I like. Everything seems to fall on one side (lower power, duplex reticle, made for point blank range) or the other (ultra long range, “busy” tactical reticles, too much magnification, heavy, etc)
Heres what Im looking for:
Budget under $1000
Scope weight under 20 oz.
At least 40foot field of view at 100 yds, strongly prefer over 50.
At least 10x max magnification.
Want a elevation turret I can dial for shots up to 30moa. Prefer not to go with a base with built in elevation, prefer an exposed elevation turret but it has to be snow-proof.
Second focal plane is fine, probably preferred since most of my hunting is at bayonet range and any ranging or
dialing I’ll do will almost certainly be at max power given the relatively low magnification for longer ranges.

The kicker is, I want the cleanest reticle I can get for hunting, but with regular moa marks (NOT irregular BDC marks)
for the longer range practice shooting I’ve been doing. I’ve heard a lot of people say to buy the reticle you want, and the more I shoot the more I’m buying into this, I just can’t find it in any of the scopes I’m looking at.
If leupold made their VX5 2-10 in a T-moa reticle or maybe even a windplex it would be a slam dunk, but they dont. The vx6 2-12 would be great, but at 50% more expensive its outside what I want to spend. The 3-15 vx-5 doesnt have a wide enough field of view. I’m having trouble finding a scope featured the way I want without going way down the quality scale or way out of my price range.

I’ve looked at a pile of scopes at the range from junk all the way on up to top of the line tactical stuff on friends guns, and I managed to visit a big Cabela’s on a business trip last week and looked at a bunch there too. Haven’t found the right one yet. Anyone have ideas on scopes to look at in this quality and price range that I may have missed? Or try and talk me into a different reticle? Or do I just need to save my pennies for another year and suck up the vx6 pricetag? I have a beater scope I’m using right now, I sure don’t love it but that means it’s not time critical.

Thanks in advance.

matthewmt

WKR
G.a precision just had a pre-order on Bushnell lrhs 4.5-18 for 750$, may still? Probably over your weight requirements but for the money obviously a lot of features.

Ever look at SWFA offerings? 3-15,

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Your weight limit is killing your options. I finally decided that weight in my scope was just a compromise that I had to make to get the features I want. The Sig Whiskey 5 gets you a lot of your options but it’s a little high on price. The Burris XTR2 is heavier then you want but the 3-15x could suit you nicely.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Let go of the MOA thing. It’s a mil world, and finding scopes closer to what you want will be a lot easier in mils.

amassi

WKR
Leupold will put whatever reticle you want in that vx5hd.
I want to say it runs $250 if you send them one for a replacement, but might be less if you order a scope from them that doesn't have to be disassembled, replaced, reassembled.
Even if you went full bore, that 2-10 goes for around 600 on fleabay, so $850 for a light, bright, good fov, good eyebox locked dial set up
Call custom shop

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Thanks all. I’d be open to mils, moa is just what I’m used to and it seemed most hunting scopes are in moa. I can do the maths a little so mils is prob even an advantage.

4.5-x and even 3-x, so far I have not found anything that had a wide enough field of view. This is critical for me, I have several other scopes that begin at this power and the view is simply too tight in the woods for me. So far everything I’ve found acceptable starts at 2 or 2.5x.

I’ll check out the sig and burris offerings. I’ve used a Sig scope on a friends PRS rifle, it seemed ok especially with the illuminated reticle. I’ve only looked through one of the Burris veracity scopes, but I didn’t like the reticle. I’ll check out the one suggested. I’ve heard people suggest SWFA scopes, but I’m not sure which models are good, they seem to bring out strong opinions from people, which I interpreted as inconsistent quality. I have not had a chance to check any out, but if anyone has a recommendation which models to look at that would be helpful.

I’ll call the custom shop and ask, that could be a perfect option, I didn’t realize you could change radicals

2five7

WKR
You'll either have to get a custom reticle installed, or give up on your 40' view. The 3x scopes have 38', isn't that close enough?

Closest scope that I've found is a used vx-6 3-18 with the tmoa reticle. 20 oz, 75 moa of total travel, zero stop, but only 38' of view. Should be a lead to find these in the $850-950 range.

2five7

WKR
So basically a dangerous game scope, that goes to 10x and can dial out to 1200 yards. Might be something of a unicorn.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
Look at the Nightforce NXS compact 2.5-10x42. It checks every box you want except budget. I have the 2.5-10x32 version (before the 42mm came out) and its a great little scope. It’s available in MOA or Mil. Nightforce scopes are extremely durable and have really good glass. I found a while back that I never regret spending money on a high quality scope. It’s a worthwhile investment. If you’re stuck on MOA, the MOAR reticle is great. The Mil version- the Mil-R is equally as good. If you don’t already have a bunch of other scopes in MOA, with dope charts worked up, I strongly suggest going Mil/Mil. The numbers are easier once you figure it out. It easier to remember 4.4 for 500 yards than 15.75.

Leupold Custom Shop!

Give them a ring-- they are easy to work with and will gladly answer all your questions to get you a scope that meets your requirements. With the 30mm tube I have no doubt they could put the TMOA reticle into a VX5 2-10 for you. I had them retrofit an older VX3 8.5-25 with an M1 turret and TMOA reticle. I'm a big fan of the TMOA and have it in 3 scopes.

If you found a VX6 2-12 (non-HD) they'd do it in that scope too if you wanted a hair more magnification.

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Called the leupold Custom shop. No custom reticles for vx5 available aside from what its sold with. The guy I spoke with said its a new enough scope that they dont have anything developed yet. He said they were working on a tmoa for it “maybe sometime early in 2019”. Not holding my breath, but good to know.

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I 2nd the vx6 2-12. I have that scope on my 270 win and it sounds like exactly what you are looking for. Got mine for $700 on ebay brand new

OP
M

Macintosh

WKR
Going rate for a VX six is $1500. 50% higher than my maximum budget. Since I think looking at something like this would necessitate buying used, even if I could find one, does anyone know if Leupolds lifetime warranty extends to a second owner?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The Leupold warranty works regardless of how many people have owned the scope. The problem is Leupold does not make a scope that is reliable enough to dial. Not one. Their $4,000 Mark 8’s have issues just like the $400 VX3i’s.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm with Mil-R

Thats it, unless you let go of some weight.

LaHunter

WKR
The Leupold warranty works regardless of how many people have owned the scope. The problem is Leupold does not make a scope that is reliable enough to dial. Not one. Their $4,000 Mark 8’s have issues just like the $400 VX3i’s.

SWFA SS 3-9x42mm
Nightforce 2.5-10x42mm with Mil-R

Thats it, unless you let go of some weight.

Not sure such a broad blanket statement like this is accurate. I have a Leupold Mark 4 that has dialed accurately / tracked perfectly out to 750 yards for the past 3-4 years since I've owned it. I don't have access to a location to practice any further. I have read reviews from people at least claiming to have real experience with the VX5 HD, VX6 HD, and the Mark 5 that give them high praise on the dialing accuracy / precision.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Not sure such a broad blanket statement like this is accurate. I have a Leupold Mark 4 that has dialed accurately / tracked perfectly out to 750 yards for the past 3-4 years since I've owned it. I don't have access to a location to practice any further. I have read reviews from people at least claiming to have real experience with the VX5 HD, VX6 HD, and the Mark 5 that give them high praise on the dialing accuracy / precision.

Well, politely... I’m not guessing.

I’ve had multiple examples of every scope you listed on the range in the last two months. 100% have had issues. In any given year I will see several dozen Leupold scopes tested for tracking, adjustments, return to zero, and zero retention. The vast majority of people don’t even realize they are missing shots due to some fault in the scope until they switch out to scopes that actually work. Before that they’ll fight to the grave that their “insert whatever scope” works just fine.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
To be clear I am not saying that there is NO leupold scope that will work at least for a bit, but when you can, and I have multiple times, take 10 brand new in the wrapper Leupolds and check them for tracking and RTZ and 60-70% have enough problems to not trust for hunting at 400 yards within 200-300 rounds..... easy pass.

amassi

WKR
Man, I must be the luckiest Leopold owner out there
I have 2 1st gen vx6 that track reliably out to 1k and back for the last 3 years.

Recently put a 8.5-25 lrp through a box test and it passed, just for fun we ran the elevation all the way up and back down 6-7 times then clanged steel at 600,800,1080
Oh yes, I forgot about the vx6hd and vx5hd that also track 100% of the time.

Blanket internet nonsense is what drives guys into stores and they buy inferior filipino/ Chinese scopes with the best warranty you'll always use

I worked a gun counter at a big outdoor store for the last 5 years, our #1 scope sold and returned for defect were the same brand.

*** I do also own some of those VIP warranty scopes, after they repeatedly failed to track they were relegated to groundsquirrel duty***

amassi

WKR
Your just lucky, apparently I am as well.