One scope to rule them all

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been working on a build and I’m lost on the optic. I’m a little lost on the entire build to be honest. Any suggestions are welcomed.

I’ve got paperwork in for my first suppressor. With that, I want a bolt rifle build/setup that will take advantage of shooting quiet. I had thought about a 10/22 rebarrel and I’ll probably do that too but for now bolt rifle. It will probably be a RPR as it’s threaded and I can mount the clip on NV in front of the Day optic with the rail. That or a CZ455 in a chassis and threaded.

Anyways, the goal is to get a scope for a bit of plinking, a bit of hunting, a bit of casual competition, a bit of long range, and it needs to be in the 4x-5x mag range on the bottom end for the clip on, if not closer to 2.5x-3x. Max mag of 20x or more would be fantastic for the target shooting, but this is by far not going to be a target quality rifle (no offense RPR fans) so sacrificing a little there isn’t terrible.

Price is a consideration but not a complete limitation. I’ve bounced from the Vortex Diamondback Tactical price range all the way up to the Gen 2 Razor in the search. I listen to the long range tactical guys tell me to spend $1500+ and then I’ve got the local hunting guys telling me to toss a Prostaff on it, and honestly both arguments make sense for a lot of situations.

I’d like the turrets to be accurate and wouldn’t mind a zero stop. They don’t have to lock but that too wouldn’t be bad. I’m torn on FFP vs SFP. I have a feeling most of my shots will be close enough in that ranging with the reticle won’t be realistic. I’m also a fine with dialing if the turrets are repeatable and consistent, so again, SFP vs FFP doesn’t really seem clear cut. I like the idea of the Christmas tree style reticle but if I’m mostly stuck to under 100 yards it seems a bit of limited use.

So what would you use? Assume I don’t want to be in a price point where I really have to worry about defects or poor quality but from there up it’s open.

I have other rifles that are more dedicated, be it for hunting or target shooting. So I’m not worried about a scope to cover all uses all the time, just one for a RPR that does as much as possible for whatever fun comes up that day.

DesertJoe

FNG
Actually, for close range shots and/or the air rifle/rimfire crowd like second focal plane for a few reasons I don't fully recall. The SWFA SS 3-15 is a great scope and I've had 2 and only sold one because I was unifying to all mil based optics. They came in an SFP model at one point, but my memory is that it might have been discontinued. Not sure, but you might check around. They don't have a "Christmas tree" reticle though.

I actually have another really solid option, Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50 with APLR1 "Christmas tree" reticle it would do the trick as well. I am actually rather impressed with the optic overall, but I bought it for long range applications, and I'm too used to FFP to remember to use the right magnification when I'm trying to use the illuminated reticle for quick holdovers. I'll actually probably just upgrade to the FFP model with the same glass when I can sell it.

Last edited:

bwtitus

FNG
I've heard a lot of good things about the Athlon as well, am thinking I'll try one myself. Might be worth a look!