One sleeping system fora beginner.

Isaac_SBO

FNG
Looking for a backcountry sleeping system that will be versatile enough to be used in a while range of conditions but is also price savy for a beginner trying to put his first kit to gather. Have several hunts and planned in the next few years and would like to start here with the sleeping system. Colorado archery mulies and Montana rifle Elk will be the first hunts. 6,1” 200 pounds for size reference. Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HuntNTag

WKR
Looking for a backcountry sleeping system that will be versatile enough to be used in a while range of conditions but is also price savy for a beginner trying to put his first kit to gather. Have several hunts and planned in the next few years and would like to start here with the sleeping system. Colorado archery mulies and Montana rifle Elk will be the first hunts. 6,1” 200 pounds for size reference. Thankyou.

What’s your budget?

Synthetic or down?

Have you thought about tent weight, bag weight, pad weight?

Do you want to run a stove out of your tent?

Shoot me a note if you’d like and I can give you my 2 pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NorthernHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a hot tent which helped lower the cold weather problems. However I would look into running a quilt if you want versatility. My father runs a 15 degree quilt from 0-60 degrees. If you don't like the quilt idea when you look them up just get the best 10-20 degree bag you can. Fancy equipment is nice but you don't have to spend a ton to get started. Also focus on R-value of the pad. That can make a big difference in the cold.

Lots of questions need to be answered but here is something to look at:
Big Agnus Tiger Wall 2. Exped down7 LW pad. Marmot Never Summer 0*.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Buy once cry once. Everyone has a budget, but by the best you can afford and upgrade as you see fit. Good gear costs money, and if you buy right the first time, you wont have to continue coming back asking questions about what to get next.

Sleep is a huge portion of your trip and helps in recovery, day in and day out. Buy a quality bag and mat. A few things to keep in mind, EN rated bags get their rating by using a mat with an r-vale of 4.8. You'll see lots of brands state an r-value or temperature range, but do your homework here. Only a handful of those r-values are tested and certified. EXPED, Thermarest, Nemo, REI, Sea to Summit, and Big Agnes. Last checked Klymit was NOT using the ASTM certification as part of their r-value rating.

Lots of good sleeping bags on the market. Lots of people like quilts because of their comfort to spread out and their versatility year round.

Tent, do you really need one yet? Or can you share with your hunting partners? Potential savings for next year if so, allowing you to spend more on your sleep system on the front end.

Also, don't forget an inflatable pillow. Game changer and worth the small weight penalty if you plan to backpack in.

Akicita

WKR

My beginner first sleep shelter recommendations:

Tent: Nemo Hornet
Bag: Western Mountaineering Alpinlite
Pad: Nemo Tensor

Go get them - and use them as much as you can before hunting season. You will likely change the tent after determining your personal comfort and tolerance levels in extended outings but this is an excellent start.

OP
Isaac_SBO

Isaac_SBO

FNG
What’s your budget?

Synthetic or down?

Have you thought about tent weight, bag weight, pad weight?

Do you want to run a stove out of your tent?

Shoot me a note if you’d like and I can give you my 2 pennies.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

-Budget id put around 4-500$ for the bag and mat. (Leaving tent out for now because my hunting partner has a tipi style with stove)
-Would prefer some sort of treated down
-weight is always a issue so the lighter the better.

You can get a nice setup for that budget, not western mountaineering, but nice.

Do you know if you sleep ok in a mummy bag? If yes then that’ll be fairly easy.

Sleep warm or cold?

I’d pick a wide (25”) pad with an r-value of 4+

Whatever way you up end going buy the long and wide version of it. I’m also 6’1 and wish I would’ve done so.

I agree with everyone else about "wide." I'm a 5'7 165lb man-let and I will only buy a 25" wide pad and widest quilt available.