one tough trip- the sequel

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Guys!

Funny story- nine years ago I decided I wanted to give the Open a go; I knew it wouldn't be wise, on first attempt anyways, to go solo. So I emailed a good buddy that I thought would be a great candidate. I got a response back quickly that "hell yeah, I'm in". I told him before he committed to read through the past trip reports. A week later, geez my Mom will be visiting, I can't do it.

I emailed another buddy, "friggin eh, I'm in". Please read the trip reports first. A week later, yeah I won't be able to get the time off.

I went through six buds, who all initially were in, only to pull out (coincidentally after reading the prior trip reports! :ROFLMAO:)

So I decided I would do it solo. My wife didn't like that idea and the next day she said a guy she worked with would like to do it. I'm thinking yeah sure he does, until he finds out what he's in for. Lo and behold, the guy was fully in and we had a great adventure across the Bob.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ definitely :)

I thought this was pretty funny, but spot on, a snippet from another's trip report :)

As we dropped down the gully into the start of Wrong Creek, we both had the feeling that we had just pulled a fast one on the Bob: a little extra off-trail climbing had gotten us a great view in the alpine, a mellow descent, and a route to a higher river put-in. Then we turned the corner. The landscape before us was what a pile of tumbled match-sticks must resemble to an ant. With no more snow to aid our cause, we tried the left side of the drainage, then the right, then the far right, all to no avail. Progress slowed to a crawl; a crawl that took place on, below, or between tree trunks. Without a suitably-sized pack, I had ample items (PFD, snowshoes, paddles, boat) attached to the outside of my pack to serve as velcro. After an hour or so, there was little indication that we had made forward progress, other than some sticks in my shirt that appeared to have come from a tree slightly behind me. We still occasionally shouted for bears—it might have been primarily out of hope that one would come and mercifully end our suffering

Fishn4eyes

Lil-Rokslider
Even though you do an incredible job with the pictures and narrative, I don't think most people understand how hard that type of trip truly is both physically and mentally.

I'd love take that on but not sure if I'm tough enough to do it!!

Helluva feat man, I tip my hat to you all.

prm

WKR
Care to share what boots, socks, pack, etc. you used and how they performed?

Great story though! I’d be totally up for that. 🤔

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks!

Care to share what boots, socks, pack, etc. you used and how they performed?

Great story though! I’d be totally up for that. 🤔

Pack was a Seek Outside Flight, it was the third Open it has seen- performed flawlessly.

Shelter was a TarpTent Aeon Li- lots of nights in that shelter, also performed great- including a night of heavy rain.

Shoes were LaSporiva Akasha trail runners. I think I’ve used Akasha’s on all eight of the Opens I’ve done. They were discontinued for a couple of years, but back now.

Darn Tough socks- all I use :D

Sleep system- MLD Spirit 28 (Apex insulation) quilt, Thermarest Xtherm pad- I think used every Open.

I have to mention that the forecast called for a lot of rain/wet snow. I ditched the ultralight rain gear I would normally bring and instead brought my hunting rain gear-Sitka Dewpoint. That was the perfect call! :D.