Online classes

Macleod

FNG
I’m looking to do one of the online classes — either Tom Clum’s or Joel Turner’s. I’ve watched a bunch of shorter videos with each of them. I know they’re both highly regarded. My question is which would you recommend I do first if I have $200 and can only do one? I’ve been using a recurve for a little less than a year. Mostly learned through YouTube during the pandemic so I know I have work to do on fundamentals. Thanks!

Hoodie

WKR
Another vote for Clum.

I took two years off of shooting a recurve. Watched his series all the way through while doing nothing but using a stretch band for shot sequence practice and holding my bow at full draw.

First group I shot with arrows at 20 yards was better than my previous groups using a sight. Clickers sure take a lot of variability out of the equation.

PAhntr91

WKR
I just got the solid archery mechanics yesterday. But I would recommend that over shot iq. Tom’s course is the mechanics of shooting the bow. Joel’s is more of the brain doctor stuff that we’ll all need at some point but I would start with Tom. I would also like to get roots by rod Jenkins at some point

bisblue

WKR
I really like the Tom Clum course.

I don't know if anything compares to in person coaching. I can't find a coach within two hours of me though, which is very frustrating.

TX_Diver

WKR
Old thread that was bumped up by a spammer, but I'm maybe 20% through Tom Clum's course and have found it helpful so far. Had a question specific to the hook, posted it on the course, and got a response the next day. There are ways to add photos/videos to it in order to get real feedback too which is a plus.

Gen273

WKR
For those of you who have done Tom’s course, would you consider it helpful for a guy who has been shooting a long time?

Tom Clums course really helped me a lot. It teaches all of the fundamentals. I’ve never had a coach and I feel like Solid Mechanics is the next best.

bobinmi

WKR
For those of you who have done Tom’s course, would you consider it helpful for a guy who has been shooting a long time?
Only if you're willing to change some aspects of your shot sequence. I totally changed my form over the course of about a year. I used to shoot with very similar form to Snyder (ie. hunch back with a lot of cant) I hunt whitetails from a treestand 90% of the time so a vertical bow with form that is much more similar to target shooters has been just the ticket for me. YMMV

Hawkeye29

Lil-Rokslider
Tom Clum’s course has been huge for me. With that said having someone watch you in person is 10x more helpful than trying to troubleshoot by yourself. Also attended Joel’s course and the other posters are right. If you have good form Joel will get your mind right!

Cheechako

FNG
I’ve just done joel turner’s online course and found it to be very helpful, but you can also get the basics of his message from youtube clips or his $30 book you can find on amazon.
If you are able to hold your point on target and reach full draw, i’d definitely do clum’s course first.
It really depends on what aspect of your shot you are focusing on.