Only 1 week in Sept, which week is your $$$ on?

If you could only pick one week in Sept to tag a bull, which one would you choose and why? Let's also say Colorado to be a little more specific.

elkduds

WKR
During muzzleloading season. If you aren't wearing orange and going BOOM, elk won't even recognize you as a hunter.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
I always prefer the first week because there isn’t much hunting pressure...especially when it’s warm. Two years ago I actually had to hike back to the ATV trail to get on elk. Ended up shooting a bull 300 yards from a big annual wall tent camp. Nobody was home but the elk were.

If you think your success is about your timing and not your tactics (how you hunt, where you go on a micro level, etc) then I’m not too worried about what week you choose even if you’re in my area :)

Jokes aside, Elk101 and go hunt just did in depth articles on this, google em “when to hunt elk 2019”. Here to tell your odds won’t change much by selecting a certain week though

LWC

FNG
4th week for me this year. Hopefully with the full moon in the middle of the month, they'll still be getting after it at the end of September.

If you could only pick one week in Sept to tag a bull, which one would you choose and why? Let's also say Colorado to be a little more specific.
They don't disappear then reappear. They are always SOMEWHERE. Best week is the week you are there.

I've hunted CO three different weeks in Sept. now and I've never hit the peak bugling season yet. One of those weeks, just as we were leaving, the bull started screaming their heads off. The other two weeks we were a week late and a week early. Go figure.

Just go.

elkguide

WKR
If I were going in blind I'd go the 3rd week this year. I've always had the most bugling on the 19, 20, and 21 of September and I love to talk to the elk.

Fall equinox is the 23rd and most cows get bred within a 8-10 day period of this date, although this can be a very tough time to kill the herd bull

I took the second week off work.

Three days over the opener, plus nine, plus two more weekends equals sixteen days to poke three critters. We'll see what shakes out...

I've been going later but with two long weekend hunts the beginning of October, I opted for early season.